Kind of hit a plateau - help please?

Options
I have been doing great up until about a week ago. I feel like I have hit a real plateau with my weight loss. I have been running between 4 and 6 times every week for three/four weeks, eating under the calorie goal and yet the past week nothing, nada. If anything I bounce up and down from day to day.

My diary is wide open. I could also use any advice or tips you have about getting healthier and fitter. When shoud I eat and exercise? What kinds of food will help the most? I am at a normal BMI at the moment but am looking to get stronger.

Thank you all so much for your help in advance. I have never tried to lose weight before and going it alone is a bit hard.

Cheers!

Replies

• trainmanup
    trainmanup Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    You probably need to be eating more on the days you run. It looks like you're burning an extra ~500 calories running, but aren't eating the calories back. That means if you're normally eating 1400 calories, run (+500 calories) and don't eat, you're netting 900 calories. That's not enough.

All of that aside, 1 week isn't really a long enough time span to start panicking over a pause in weight loss.
  • fast_eddie_72
    fast_eddie_72 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    It's pretty common to have a week where you don't lose anything. I wouldn't worry about it. If it keeps up for a few weeks, you need to adjust your calories down a little.
    You probably need to be eating more on the days you run.

Eating more will not result in more weight loss.
  • fast_eddie_72
    fast_eddie_72 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    It's also more difficult to lose weight if you're already at a healthy weight. Why do you think you want to lose more? Losing weight won't make you stronger.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
  • daybehavior
    daybehavior Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    one week is not a plateau. things like stress and water retention can affect your weight from a week to week basis. focus more on the average trend.
  • Ccav92610
    Ccav92610 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    First of all don't stress about it!! That will only make things worse! its also not uncommon to fluctuate from day to day it could just be from retaining water in your muscles, PMS, that bottle of wine you drank last night! I always suggest that you weigh yourself weekly instead of daily, it can get super depressing watching the scale like a hawk every day.

Also remember that unless you chowed down on 8 Big Macs and laid flat on the couch its not possible that you *really* gained a pound over night!

On another note if you actually do end up plateauing try changing up your workout, hit the elliptical or bike, take a different class, just shake things up a bit!