Why Did We Evolve a Taste for Sweetness?

Options
I don't know if this has been posted before. I was just looking up whether there was an evolutionary benefit to humans liking "hyperpalatable" foods and ran across this...

http://perfecthealthdiet.com/2011/03/why-did-we-evolve-a-taste-for-sweetness/

There are a couple (literally, two) references to the article and I haven't yet bothered to look at them in their entirety (they are both free, here - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2721271/ and here - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1265871/), but I was just wondering what you learned knights of the MFP roundtable thought.

Some of the things in it trouble me (fructose is labelled a toxin, paleo-advocacy, and just... Seth Roberts) but there's a little bit about "sweetness activators" in there, too, that I'd never read before. Apparently New World Monkeys don't find aspartame sweet (from the Wiki page, not the article)...

I'll only post a small portion of the article here because longread.
Sweetness activators

It turns out that the sweetness receptors are complex; many things activate them, and they appear to serve multiple functions.

Wikipedia (“Sweetness”) notes:

A great diversity of chemical compounds, such as aldehydes and ketones, are sweet.

Some of the amino acids are mildly sweet: alanine, glycine, and serine are the sweetest. Some other amino acids are perceived as both sweet and bitter.

The sweetness of some amino acids would seem to support Tomas’s assertions that sweetness detect meat: perhaps it is detecting amino acids. But this seems a bit odd: there is another taste, umami, that detects protein. Would we really need two taste receptors for protein? And lean meats don’t taste sweet.

A possible clue is that the sweet tasting amino acids are hydrophobic, while hydrophilic (or polar) amino acids are not sweet.

Proteins that are hydrophobic end up lodging in cell membranes alongside lipids; proteins that are hydrophilic dissolve in water and reside apart from the fat. Glutamate and nucleotides, which are detected by the umami taste, are hydrophilic and water-soluble.

So maybe the umami taste detects proteins that aren’t associated with fat, while the sweet taste detects proteins that are associated with fat.

Replies

• Beet_Girl
    Options
    My first thought is that breast milk is sweet
  • HappyStack
    HappyStack Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    My first thought is that breast milk is sweet

I have honestly never tasted breast milk :laugh:

But I know that powdered baby formula is sweet, so that makes sense.
  • taekwondo_bitch
    taekwondo_bitch Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Because sugar releases dopamine, or "pleasure signals". That why humans crave it over other foods.
  • HappyStack
    Options
    Because sugar releases dopamine, or "pleasure signals". That why humans crave it over other foods.

There was a study to suggest this, but it's not just sugar. Complex carbs have been found to have the same effect, as do - I believe - dairy products and other sources of protein.

Basically, feeding stimulates dopamine production.
  • SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Three words: Optimal Foraging Theory.
  • taekwondo_bitch
    taekwondo_bitch Posts: 158 Member
    Options

There was a study to suggest this, but it's not just sugar. Complex carbs have been found to have the same effect, as do - I believe - dairy products and other sources of protein.

But vegetables and things don't? Interesting.
  • chezjuan
    chezjuan Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    The following is totally based on nothing but my thoughts on the matter, not any particular science (studies) that I have read. I have seen an article or two in popular science magazines like Discover that seem to say this, but I haven't really investigated any of it. So anything that follows this is just conjecture that may or may not be backed by science. :smile:

Since carbohydrates, and especially simple sugars, are quick and easily available energy sources, and the fact that glucose is the default energy source for our brain and cells, it would be evolutionarily advantageous for our ancestors to have a taste for foods that supply them. It would lead them to eat foods that supply quick energy so they could then do the things that require the energy, like hunting, gathering, and generally being nomadic. Kind of like how endurance athletes tend to eat lots of carbs while training.

The problem is that now we have figured out how to get tons of the sweet stuff without needing it to fuel the essentials of life, but we're programmed to want to eat it because of the historical energy needs of the species.
  • HappyStack
    Options

Some. Some others stimulate serotonin production. And some sweet things, like chocolate.

There's probably a list somewhere of foods and how they affect neurotransmitters... I can't say I remember many examples off the top of my head.

Is this valid human behavioural theory, though? particularly since hunter-gatherer instinct has been mooted by widespread availability of a huge range of produce.
  • SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options

Since carbohydrates, and especially simple sugars, are quick and easily available energy sources, and the fact that glucose is the default energy source for our brain and cells, it would be evolutionarily advantageous for our ancestors to have a taste for foods that supply them. It would lead them to eat foods that supply quick energy so they could then do the things that require the energy, like hunting, gathering, and generally being nomadic. Kind of like how endurance athletes tend to eat lots of carbs while training.

This is basically optimal foraging theory - it is evolutionarily advantageous to gain the most energy for the least effort.
  • chezjuan
    Options

This is basically optimal foraging theory - it is evolutionarily advantageous to gain the most energy for the least effort.

I saw your post after I wrote mine, looked it up, and noticed that it was basically the same. Took me a lot more words to basically say what you did :laugh:
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Pretty sure I also get this for a nice steak.
    And cheese.
    And plenty of other non-carb foods :).
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Deliciousness.
  • chezjuan
    Options

Some. Some others stimulate serotonin production. And some sweet things, like chocolate.

There's probably a list somewhere of foods and how they affect neurotransmitters... I can't say I remember many examples off the top of my head.

Is this valid human behavioural theory, though? particularly since hunter-gatherer instinct has been mooted by widespread availability of a huge range of produce.

I think while our brains may know that food is easy to get, our bodies are still adapting and the systems that have been in place for millions of years are taking a while to catch up with the more recent developments.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    Grok stomach growl
    Grok find deer
    Deer run away
    Grok chase deer
    Grok get tired
    Grok find berry bush
    Berry bush no run away
    Grok eat
    Grok get taste for sweet
    Grok see bee nest dripping with sweet
    Grok never seen again..................
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Grok stomach growl
    Grok find deer
    Deer run away
    Grok chase deer
    Grok get tired
    Grok find berry bush
    Berry bush no run away
    Grok eat
    Grok get taste for sweet

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Pretty sure I also get this for a nice steak.
    And cheese.
    And plenty of other non-carb foods :).
  • TX_Rhon
    TX_Rhon Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    Deliciousness.

^^This
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I've been following Perfect Health Diet for almost a year now and believe it to be exactly what the title says. It is a little similar to primal/paleo, but no gimmicky marketing like Grok or any of that stuff. Everytime I have heard the author in an interview, Dr. Paul Jamine, it confirms he's the smartest guy around in the diet space.
  • HappyStack
    Options
    Grok stomach growl
    Grok find deer
    Deer run away
    Grok chase deer
    Grok get tired
    Grok find berry bush
    Berry bush no run away
    Grok eat
    Grok get taste for sweet

Oh. I don't mean to be rude, but it's sorta hard to take you seriously when you're saying junk like grok and junk. :laugh:
  • Love4fitnesslove4food2
    Options

Many vegetables are complex carbohydrates...so some would if the above is true.