Hawaiian Holiday - Ideas please

chatnel
chatnel Posts: 688 Member
Is anyone from Hawaii or been there?

I am in Australia and planning one week there in June. Would love recommendations on where to stay and what to do. Arriving into Honolulu. Modest budget. Enjoy pina coladas and getting caught in the rain :glasses: :drinker:

Replies

• HawkeyeTy
    HawkeyeTy Posts: 681 Member
    Modest budget?

Hawaii is the wrong place...
    :wink:
  • chatnel
    err need to increase my credit card?
  • chatnel
    anyone?
  • xcmtnracer
    xcmtnracer Posts: 426 Member
    Hike, hike, hike. Koko Head, Diamond Head, any water falls, spent a month there, had a great time.
  • Kupe
    Kupe Posts: 758 Member
    Also from Aus, we were there in October, definitley not the cheapest part of the US, however we had a great time.
    Waikiki is the main tourist spot on the island of Oahu. We stayed at the Hyatt Place Waikiki beach. It is about 200m from the beach, It is off a the main street so you will need to walk to the major mall and restaurants. However if a whingy 11 year old can do it multiple times a day it is not that much of a walk.

I would recommend eating at the cheesecake factory (not the same as here), portions are huge and it is pretty budget friendly plus they make awsome cheesecake.

We also walked up Diamond head, recommend cabbing to the entrance doing the climb and then it is walk down hill all the way back to the beach, be warned that this is a long walk, so wear comfortable shoes. We also did Pearl Harbour - interesting, The Polynesian cultural centre - really expensive - well worth it if you would like to learn about Polynesian culture(NZ is included).

If you have goggles and snorkel, take them with as buying there is expensive, the coral and fish are just off Waikiki beach. Waikiki has no real surf to speak of, even though you can surf the there, We never got up to the North part of the Island - North beach, this is where the big waves are and all the surfing.

Have a great time.
  • chatnel
    Thanks Kupe and xcm. Very excited for my trip. Was looking at going to north shore for a bit too if we have the time. Will definately take my snorkel though.
  • chatnel
    Thanks Kupe and xcm. Very excited for my trip. Was looking at going to north shore for a bit too if we have the time. Will definately take my snorkel though.
  • aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Waimea Bay, Dole Plantation, Sunset Beach, Waikki Beach, Diamond Head, Manoa Falls, Koko Head, Hawaii Kai, the bird observatory, Haleiwa, Maui Mike's for the best chicken ever, Haute Dogs, Leonard's Malasada's, Turtle Bay (really nice restaurants there), definitely spend some time in China Town (especially on weekends because they have great live music), and taking the H-3 to see the mountains is always a beautiful drive. There's tons more I can't think of right now, but hopefully it gave you some ideas. And bring a sweater. It's been in the 60's lately and it's a little chilly!
  • Bucky83
    Bucky83 Posts: 1,194 Member
    Waikiki beach is good for kids, at least that's what I remember when I went as a 7 year old. My parents took my brother and I to Disneyland, Canada and Hawaii, and we stayed in Hawaii for a week prior to 3 very big days in Disneyland, Anaheim.

Had such a great time in Hawaii. I remember my 4 year old brother walked out into the very busy traffic.....my parents lost it and Dad ran out to get him. Scary, but my brother didn't know any better.

Awesome shopping in Hawaii too, from memory. I scored this gorgeous purple hawaiian dress that I adored for years until it ripped.