Gardening, who's planning??

Options
13»

Replies

• rebelduck
    rebelduck Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I've never done much gardening, so I'm popping in here for advice. I'm planning to put in two 4' x 8' raised beds of veggies, but I won't have funds to do so until late April. Is that too late to start planting and expect a decent yield? I'm in the Boston, Mass., area, if that helps.

This is what I want to grow, but I haven't planned the layout yet, so any suggestions would be wonderful!

Raised beds:
    lettuce
    kale
    spinach
    cucumbers
    peas
    cherry tomatoes
    regular tomatoes
    peppers
    garlic
    onions (and shallots, if possible)
    carrots
    butternut squash
    pumpkins

Separate barrels/tubs:
    red potatoes
    sweet potatoes
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I've never done much gardening, so I'm popping in here for advice. I'm planning to put in two 4' x 8' raised beds of veggies, but I won't have funds to do so until late April. Is that too late to start planting and expect a decent yield? I'm in the Boston, Mass., area, if that helps.

This is what I want to grow, but I haven't planned the layout yet, so any suggestions would be wonderful!

Raised beds:
    lettuce
    kale
    spinach
    cucumbers
    peas
    cherry tomatoes
    regular tomatoes
    peppers
    garlic
    carrots
    butternut squash
    pumpkins

Separate barrels/tubs:
    red potatoes
    sweet potatoes

Raised beds:
    lettuce
    kale
    spinach
    cucumbers - Trellis these so they don't spread...they are easier to pick too when hanging - a pyramid works well.
    peas - ditto here just strings work
    cherry tomatoes - try these in pots beside your beds as they stay small
    regular tomatoes - make sure these have good root system..I try to bury the roots deep then some of the stem too. As well trim as much of the leaves off as possible (esp if they have no berries on them) because it helps the tomatoes grow bigger...
    peppers - plant with tomoatoes...usually between them
    garlic
    carrots - add some sand to the soil they grow better.
    butternut squash - ditto with these as pumpkins
    pumpkins - trellis as well...and trim off shoots with just leaves as well

Separate barrels/tubs:
    red potatoes
    sweet potatoes

As for the garden I live in a zone 4b and usually buy starter plants...I didn't have a garden last year as my pickle shelf etc was full from 8 years of having a garden every year. But this year (when the 6ft of snow melts) I am so in my garden.
  • jbee27
    jbee27 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Reading this thread with seething envy as a yard-less, balcony-less apartment dweller who wants a garden so. very. badly.

Enjoy your gardens everyone!!
  • zillah73
    zillah73 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I am planting my first garden this year – actually, this Sunday! It's a fairly shady spot so I had to stick with seeds for shade tolerant plants that grow well in my zone. I ended up with lots of greens, lettuces and sprouts, some carrots and beets, some peas on the fence and some herbs/onions. Everything pretty much is greens or grows under the dirt. I am very excited to get growing.
  • wyattj99
    wyattj99 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I would love to start a small garden but don't even know where or what to begin with.
  • ettaterrell
    ettaterrell Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    Zone 7 here...... So ready to get in the garden! I haven't done it in a few years but husband built me some large raised beds... We are planting:
    2 types of tomatos
    okra
    3 kinds of peppers
    squash
    eggplant
    bush beans
    cucumbers
    lots of basil (would like a pesto recipe if someone's made it I never have)
  • Natmarie73
    Natmarie73 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I'm on the Southern Hemisphere, so our summer is just ending. This weekend I'm starting all my autumn and winter growing: checking up on the chilli, sowing spinach, lettuce, carrots (and if I can find the seeds... Kale).

This summer was my first go at planting and growing edibles, and I made a lot of mistakes but also learnt a lot. Everything I grow is in containers, and I think I was a bit too ambitious for a first go. I had so many different plants and my yields weren't very good. This winter I'm going to focus on just growing a few things so I can give them extra attention!

Same here. Im in Western Australia so our long, hot, dry summer is almost over and I can start to plant again during autumn/winter. I had some success with herbs and chillies and hopefully next season I will get some passionfruit, blueberries and dwarf peaches from the tree I planted last year :)

I don't grow a lot of produce as it is sooooo water intensive and our climate is very dry so I mainly have local natives that can tolerate the sandy soil and dry heat without needing a lot of water or attention.
  • 40DayFit
    40DayFit Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    bump to join in later
  • Sunbrooke
    Sunbrooke Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    For anyone in the south. If I lived in the south I would grow chayote. It is a very firm squash that grown on a big vine and the fruit last a long time in the fridge, like winter squash or cabbage. It is soo good and I'm really jealous because I have never been able to grow it. I can't remember if it is perennial or just needs a really long season.
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    I have 1/2 an acre, but I container garden on my back deck because of all the wildlife. I grow peas, beans, spinach, lettuce and tomatoes of several varieties.
  • ksuh999
    ksuh999 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I'm an avid gardener, got some seeds this weekend, need to get some tomato seeds today at lunch time from the garden store near me as they have a great selection. Also need to start them really soon - I want big, sturdy tomato plants come frost-free time.
  • bethlaf
    bethlaf Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    :( i cant garden , will be moving over the summer, and have left gardens behind so many times, it disturbs me too much to do so , and sinces its a multi state move, have to hold off , my potted herbs will come , but for the rest, i might try some lettuces and radishes , thats about it
  • nomad1000
    nomad1000 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I am so excited. We have had a couple warm days so I can actually see my raised beds.

Seed starting inside begins tonight since our last frost date isn't until mid to end of May.

Here is a partial list

Arugula
    Broccoli
    Brussel Sprouts
    Cabbage
    Onions
    Lettuce
    Carrots
    Kale
    Chard
    Spinach
    Corn
    Tomatoes
    Tomatillos
    Potatoes
    Sweet Potatoes
    Peas
    Beans
    Cauliflower
    Beets
    Plus a bunch I have forgotten about.

And then a bunch of herbs and flowers.

We have a pretty big garden and only 2 of us so we grow a little of a lot of varieties. :)
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    I'd love to set-up my garden but it is currently under 20 feet of snow.

Damn winter.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Doing another peach tree this year. Going to grow a lot this year. I just moved to a house with a bigger back yard, AND more sunlight. My last house was near some tall trees that made what little yard i had not suitable for high fruit yields. Too many things to list that i plan on growing, but so far i have started peppers, tomatoes, celery and collards indoors in a window. I'll start more soon. We don't get to plant until mid-late May around here. :sad:
  • rllewell
    rllewell Posts: 234
    Options
    I have two 6' Tower Gardens I've been growing fruit and vegetables on my back patio with. It is a vertical aeroponic gardening system designed to place on their back patio/deck or front porch. Easier to watch the youtube than try and explain it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7EzYmO9u8M&feature=share&list=PLCB34831328663161&index=3

Last year I grew the following:
    Leaf lettuces (5-6 types)
    Kale (4 types)
    Arugula
    Swiss chard
    Basil
    Cilantro
    Chives
    Cucumber
    Tomatoes (3 types)
    Eggplant
    Peppers (6 types)