sore, little tired, eating good but not losing lbs

Options
The last nine days I feel like I have done nothing but maintain my weight, but I can run farther, do more push ups, lift longer, and do more situps plus plank longer. maybe I'm gaining a little bit muscle through out my body but I wish I could at least lose 2 lbs a week. I lost 14 lbs in two months and would like to try to lose more then that the next two months. I'm eating healthy and sometimes a little bit under my daily calorie(not much) and exercise daily plus I only drink green tea, low fat milk, no sodas and a lot of water. It seems a little bit harder once you lose your water weight pretty fast. Anyone have any tips/advice? What is the best thing you can do for muscle soreness?

Replies

• editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    The less you have to lose, the more slowly it comes off. 2 lbs. per week is neither realistic nor healthy. Set your goal to .5 lb. per week and be patient.

Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Weight loss isn't linear. You are going to have times where you don't have any losses and times you may even gain a little. 9 days is nothing to really get alarmed about. But here's some info that has great tips and info:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

And just to note about lbs per week loss:

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal

Going by your ticker, you have about 30lbs to lose so you are looking more at a 1lb/week goal rather than 2lbs, to be honest.

Either way, I wouldn't rely so heavily on the scale because of water retention and other things that cause fluctuations. Are you recording measurements?

ETA: lol. Person above beat me to posting the link :tongue: :laugh:
  • NowIFeelYa
    NowIFeelYa Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info. I guess it doesn't really matter how much I lose I just want to be healthier and it seems like I'm on my way. Is it true the slower it comes off the more likely you are to keep it off?
  • editorgrrl
    Options
    Is it true the slower it comes off the more likely you are to keep it off?
    People say that, but I suspect it's just to make us slow losers feel better.

The closer you eat to maintenance, the more likely you are to maintain your weight.
  • NowIFeelYa
    NowIFeelYa Posts: 76 Member
    Options

The closer you eat to maintenance, the more likely you are to maintain your weight.

Thanks for the reply and congrats on almost completing your goal!
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

I disagree with saying that losing slowly is a way to make slow losers "feel better."

One of the reasons it's recommended (aside for health reasons and minimizing muscle loss) is that most people didn't just get overweight eating a bit too much now and again. many "taught" themselves habits that encouraged overeating. Aside from retraining these habits, you are teaching yourself more about calories in and out, portion control, nutrition, etc AND learning to apply what you've learned. These things take time which is why (typically) those who lose slower tend to be able to maintain and keep it off.
  • editorgrrl
    Options
    I reached my goal, but weight fluctuates day to day (and throughout the day). I'm happy with a 5 lb. window (+/- 2.5 lb.).
  • jesandrews91
    jesandrews91 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Once your body is used to doing the same routine in your workouts... Your body "adjusts" to the exertion and needs to burn less calories. I would definitely suggest adding some more cardio in your routine and do intervals from light to difficult frequently and randomly during each session. Although if your always feeling tired and sore you may need to include a rest day or two throughout the week so your body and muscles can recover and repair themselves.
    Water! Water! Water! You can never have enough water! In my opinion this is a big key and factor into trying to loose weight!
    Or maybe you need to up your cals? I'm not crazy when I say this! But your body does need some sort of energy to burn and if your working out as hard as you say you are then maybe that's what your body needs? Just suggesting my opinion.. Hope this helps :)
  • iwantniceabs
    iwantniceabs Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I'm eating healthy and sometimes a little bit under my daily calorie(not much)

boom.

right there. if you are eating, oh, let's say 200 calories under your daily calorie burn, then it will take you more than two weeks to lose a pound....not 9 days. And that's if you're counting is completely accurate. As far as losing pounds - it's calories in vs calories burned. The end.

And good luck! Set a plan, be consistent, and then be patient with yourself. It sounds like you're already off to a good start :)
  • LTKeegan
    LTKeegan Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Are you measuring? I thought my scale was stuck until I looked at my measurements. I chronicled it here

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1212409-my-non-linear-weight-loss