scale is dropping but belly bigger

Options
I've been tracking my journey using both the scale as well as taking lots of pictures and measurements. I've been seeing the scale drop consistently (down 47 lbs :-) ) but I notice my belly has gotten bigger. Doing a little research, I wonder if it's bloat, water retention, or other areas of my body have lost and so my belly looks bigger... any thoughts?

Usually people complain about the opposite occurring. Any help would be appreciated.

Replies

• dieter1200
    dieter1200 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    u probably lost inches from your breasts and hip/butt area and by comparison your tummy could look bigger.
  • neveragain84
    neveragain84 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    u probably lost inches from your breasts and hip/butt area and by comparison your tummy could look bigger.

Lol, being a man Idk about the breast thing, but the hip area makes a little sense. I measured myself and it said I gained an inch.
  • collingmommy
    collingmommy Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    That's my problem also! I've lost 99 lbs, and to me, my stomach looks the same. I know I'm losing, I measure my hips and they are shrinking and I wear smaller pants. So I'm going with the loseing weight elsewhere.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    Fat comes off where it comes off. Sometimes da bellay is the last place. Sucks, huh?
  • neveragain84
    Options
    Fat comes off where it comes off. Sometimes da bellay is the last place. Sucks, huh?

Very much so... especially when one day you look really lean and another it looks like you haven't lost anything.
  • jesandrews91
    jesandrews91 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Belly fat is definitely the hardest spot on your body to loose fat. Drink water all day long. Have a water bottle with you everywhere you go. Water keeps you full without wanting to munch on things in between meals.. It flushes you out and rids all the extra water weight your body is retaining. I highly suggest getting rid of all sodas (including diet sodas) and sweetened teas and even fruit juices! This definitely helped with my bloating! Hope this helps :)
  • neveragain84
    Options
    Belly fat is definitely the hardest spot on your body to loose fat. Drink water all day long. Have a water bottle with you everywhere you go. Water keeps you full without wanting to munch on things in between meals.. It flushes you out and rids all the extra water weight your body is retaining. I highly suggest getting rid of all sodas (including diet sodas) and sweetened teas and even fruit juices! This definitely helped with my bloating! Hope this helps :)

Milk and water is all I drink.... or sometimes unsweetened hot tea. I used to drink sweet tea like it was going out of style, but I drink better things now.
  • rjmelton
    rjmelton Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    One suggestion I could offer is psyllium husk. Use heavy fiber to aid in flushing out the bloat! Plus it keeps you satiated for longer.
  • supra_driven
    supra_driven Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    It's just bloating. Happens to me when I eat a lot of carbs, which I'm OK with because I need the energy for strength training. It may also seem like it's getting bigger because you are loosing fat from everywhere else and it's making your belly look out of proportion. Just give it time and be patient, eventually you'll run out of fat stores else where and your body will have to attack the belly fat.
  • mxmkenney
    mxmkenney Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I've been having similar issues, but I am a woman so my butt and chest have shrunk which does make the belly look bigger. However, it doesn't seem like I'm losing at all around the middle. I looked at my sodium intake over the past month and it has been over by AT LEAST 500 mg everyday. I think sodium may be why we are retaining water and looking so bloated. I am going to try to cut back on the sodium in my diet and see if that helps. Also, try drinking lots of water - like 8-10 cups or more - to flush out your body. That might also help with the bloat.
  • David_AUS
    David_AUS Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    It more than likely boating. All days are not the same in the body - things to consider are: Fiber in the diet / digestive bulk eg. Salads, drinking enough water, gut bacteria. If everything else is tracking well the battle of the belly bulge the tummy ( capital city ) of fat is the last to fall - but fall it shall!