Scales

Options
I weighed myself Monday morning - 259.8
weighed myself tonight out of curiosity - 257.6
weighed myself again like an hour later because I didn't believe it - 255 (point something, I dunno)
weighted myself AGAIN just now (about 2-3 hours later) because that was even more unbelievable - 258.
Tried one last time a mere few minutes later - 260.

(my boyfriend attempted this with me and in the span of a few minutes he lost 2 pounds according to it)

Soo... odds are my scale isn't working properly and now I'm not sure where I am in terms of weight. I thought I was around 260 but who knows! There is no way I dropped 2 pounds in the past 3 days, drop another 2 an hour later - I literally sat and did homework. I did not move from my chair, and then a few hours later have gained 3 - granted I did eat 2 potatoes in those few hours. THEN gain 2 more pounds in a few minutes? Yeah.. it seems weird.

I'm probably going to be looking to buy a new scale now, suggestions please!

Replies

• HawkeyeTy
    HawkeyeTy Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    You don't need a new scale, it's not broke.

You need to do one of two things:

*Weigh yourself less
    *Throw out the damn scale
  • Sunshine2plus2
    Sunshine2plus2 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    I dont think you need a new scale. You need to stop weighing yourself every hour. You pick one day a week, same time, same clothes and you stick to that weight!
  • MissLCWolff
    MissLCWolff Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I'm totally in favor of you weighing yourself a couple of times a week as long as you don't obsess about it--I do it too, just to get a sense of how different foods and eating/exercise patterns affect my weight, and because I joined MFP and weighed myself for the first time several days apart. My question is, are you calibrating your scale before you weigh yourself? At least with mine, you have to step on it, ignore the number, step off, wait for it to reset, and then step on it again in order to get an accurate reading.
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others about weighing yourself multiple times a day. There's really no point in doing that.

Whether you weigh yourself daily, weekly, bi-weekly, or monthly, there are a few things you can do to be as accurate as possible: weigh yourself at the same time of day with the same clothes (I weigh in my underwear, first thing in the morning, after using the bathroom but before eating), and make sure the scale is sitting evenly on the floor (an uneven floor can throw off your readings - I make sure to place my scale on the same tile square each time).

If you repeatedly get crazy numbers, you may need new batteries. But try not to get too wrapped up in the numbers on the scale. The scale is just one way to measure your progress. :smile:
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Stay off the scale. Or pick one day a week and weigh first thing in the morning.