My 1st post ... Please i need help

Hello everyone :) my name is Stella Mclachlan, i am 45 years old, a mom of 2 kids "Oliver & Leo" , i'm new in this forum & this is my first post here actually, and I would love to get some help from you. My weight problem started after I had my second baby I gained about 60 lbs, my weight now is 242lbs "about 110kg" & my goal is to lose 50 lbs at least in the next 3 months, I was looking online & i found a supplement called garcinia cambogia, I watched many videos that says it’s good and it's recommended by Dr Oz. This girl is one of them, she lost 70lbs using this, here is her page << cambogia.i-beautywoman.com >> , I am planning to get the product she used but first I want to get some advice from you my friends, I would like if someone who used this can give me a feedback. I don’t care about the money because they give a trial bottle anyway , I just want to know if it has any side effects or something like that , thank you in advance :)

Replies

• Blokeypoo
    Blokeypoo Posts: 274 Member
    Hi.

I know nothing about this except.....if ANY such product worked there would be no obesity crisis.

Sorry not to be more helpful. Small lifestyle changes are safer, more sustainable, make you feel happy and an achiever and a great example to your kids.
  • rachrach7595
    rachrach7595 Posts: 151 Member
    Dr Oz has his name plastered all over anything with the word diet attached to it.
    I think his intentions in the beginning were good... but I am sure now its just one big marketing money making ploy.

Also if there was a magic drug none of us would be here. We would all take the magic drug and be skinny!
    Don't waste your money. Spend it on your kids :D
  • Gohomebay
    Gohomebay Posts: 116 Member
    Oy vey dr oz......pls no
  • nickpetratos
    nickpetratos Posts: 36 Member
    hi, i don't know this product. but i know 1 rule...... for the height loss you need 2 things!
    1: exercise, add fitness to your life
    2: don't eat crap

the think with craps is help you to loose some kilos but without change your metabolism, after few months you take MORE kilos that you have before.

(sorry for my English is not very good)
  • S3r3knitty
    S3r3knitty Posts: 159 Member
    Don't waste your money. Tons of people here lost weight without some magical pill. Save the money for your kids or a gym membership. As previous posters said if it would be the one pill that helps, everyone would use it.

Instead check how many calories you are eating a day and learn portion control and maybe incoroporate some activities which you could also do with your children if their age allows it.

Edit: 50lbs in 3months seems too much to be healthy to me
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    You're not going to lose that much in 3 months. Try doing it the healthy way by watching what you eat.
  • Hey, i'm just starting out too. Would anyone be able to help explain why my ticker only says i'm 169lb when I'm actually 200?: lol :P
  • Spewze72
    Spewze72 Posts: 82 Member
    Hey Stella, welcome to MFP!

Now you've made the first step in committing to losing the weight, a couple of things worth considering;

50 lbs in 3 months is an average loss of 3-4 lbs per week, which is a) difficult to achieve and b) difficult to sustain. A slow steady loss of 1-2 lb per week is much more achievable, more likely to last, and you won't be starving and miserable.

Also, there are no weight loss products out there worth taking. Honestly, it's all bunkum, some of it dangerous...don't believe it!!

Cut down your intake and eat at a calorie deficit. There is no need to cut out entire food groups, or to follow a special "diet" - that's so hard, you'll feel deprived and will (probably) fall off the regime fairly quickly.

Do some research on your Total Daily Estimated Expenditure (TDEE), on your Basic Metabolic Rate (BMR) - that will start shaping how you are going to do this. Search this forum for the posts "In place of a road map" and "path to sexypants" - seriously the most comprehensive diet advice on the internet.

Good luck!! :flowerforyou:
  • suejoker
    suejoker Posts: 317 Member
    Welcome, Stella! I'm a mom of 3 boys and have been on and off for 3 years. Hopefully this time, I'm here to reach my goals! I don't know anything about the product of which you speak, but it sounds suspect. And, I don't know of any way to healthfully lose 50 lbs of fat in 3 months. Maybe they have some system on The Biggest Loser?! Usually, when people drop that much weight in 50 lbs, they're losing a lot of muscle, which isn't a good idea. 1-2 lbs/wk or 12-24 lbs in 3 months is a very healthy rate at which to lose weight. Feel free to add me as a friend, if you want some support & encouragement:)
  • Poods71
    Poods71 Posts: 502 Member
    Like everyone else says, there is no miracle pill and the only way to do it is to watch you calories and move more. I know how hard it is to get started when you feel you have so far to go and I have been there considering all these pills and potions trying to find something that will make it easier but it just doesn't exist. Trust me though, once you get started (small easy steps to start off with) you will see the weight start to come off and it will motivate you to keep going. The only tools you need are your motivation, MFP diary to keep you on the straight and narrow and friends on here to talk to and give and get advice. I hope you will reconsider the pills. Good luck and feel free to friend me :flowerforyou:
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Your goal is a little too ambitious to really be healthy and sustainable. 50 pounds in 3 months is pretty extreme. Why not try out the MFP method since you're here on the site. It's easy and effective, but it takes patience. Good luck!
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Oy vey dr oz......pls no

:laugh:

He's the "As Seen on TV" doctor, right?
  • DMicheleC
    DMicheleC Posts: 171 Member
    Any tablet, pill or potion that says you can loose this much in this amount of time is normally a con. Lets face it you get nothing in this life without hard work, nothing is free, or easy. I am 46 and I know over 40 it can be more difficult to loose the weight, I also am controlling my diabetes just with diet and exercise and so far so good. I have recently started a low carb and high protein diet which seems to be working really well for me. I am now loosing about a 1lb a week on a steady basis. Since January 13th I have lost 10.5lbs, with a big loss of 7lbs in the first 11 days. So if anything I would aim for a steady weight loss of 1 - 2lbs, by reducing calorie intake, logging your food and adding exercise. I am just starting 30 day shred dvd, which is amazing and hopefully will help me firm up as i'm loosing weight. Good luck with your weight loss journey, it's not easy but then what is.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,301 Member
    Pleased to meet you.

I would suggest taking a meal replacement or what ever will not help you truly address the issues you need to. I wonder if one of your internal systems went on the blink causing the problem. I would suggest you try to establish if your chemistry is functioning properly, blood tests soon.

My next thing is to say much as you would like to loose 50 lb your body will only let go what it can and 2 lb or just under 1kg is what is recommended because it is better for the body and while it is going you learn what is best for yourself. If by eating at a calorie deficit, as you will have set up here, when you entered your details you gave height, weight and weekly loss aim which gave you a suggested level of intake, if you can manage to be on or about this level you will be lighter- healthier in the weeks to come. It may seem ironic but depending on the level of activity you set for yourself, less or more active, activity over your normal will give you additional calories because of the extra effort and it is advisable to eat some of these as well so as to give you the fuel you need to live healthily.

Please take care of yourself. Be healthy.
  • jennifries227
    jennifries227 Posts: 113 Member
    http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supplements/ingredientmono-818-GARCINIA.aspx?activeIngredientId=818&activeIngredientName=GARCINIA

Found this on WebMD. It MIGHT give you nausea, 'digestive tract discomfort', and headaches. It probably WON'T help you lose weight.
    They're still checking to see if it will help you out with tapeworms, though.

Bottom line: Like everyone else said, there's no such thing as a magic pill. Every year new 'miracle' supplements come out, promising to make you super skinny and fit with just one pill a day. None of them work.
    What does work is hard work, eating less, and exercising.
  • loubidy
    loubidy Posts: 440 Member
    I have tried trimsecrets,
    I have tried acai berry extract,
    I have tried raspberry ketones

..and NOTHING!!

I have tried mfp and look at me go! Only got about 20-25lbs to go and losing at around 1lb a week I've been able to stick at it for 53days now.

I'm not poor. If there was a pill that worked bank of mummy and daddy would have bought me it and I would be skinny, except welcome to the real world and they pay my gym membership instead.
  • Khatastrophic
    Khatastrophic Posts: 81 Member
    Right off the bat - NO there is no shortcut pill.

Since I'm bored, I checked out what the National Toxicology Program had to say about this stuff.. Side effects they mention include arrhythmia (irregular heartbeat), rhabdomyolysis (destruction of muscle fibers that leads to them being in your bloodstream, in turn causing kidney damage), and hypokalemia (potassium deficiency)

In animal trials – no weight differences were found between a treated group and a control group after four weeks, but the treated group had lower insulin and leptin levels from taking it.. Increased serotonin levels in vitro (just in case youre planning more children)

So short version, this stuff has the potential to really mess you up and going by the animal trials, wont help you lose weight. Plus it's pushed by Dr Oz, which is a red flag all by itself.

http://ntp.niehs.nih.gov/ntp/htdocs/Chem_Background/ExSumPdf/GarciniaCambogiaExt_508.pdf
  • clanmcfleming
    clanmcfleming Posts: 37 Member
    Any tablet, pill or potion that says you can loose this much in this amount of time is normally a con. Lets face it you get nothing in this life without hard work, nothing is free, or easy. I am 46 and I know over 40 it can be more difficult to loose the weight, I also am controlling my diabetes just with diet and exercise and so far so good. I have recently started a low carb and high protein diet which seems to be working really well for me. I am now loosing about a 1lb a week on a steady basis. Since January 13th I have lost 10.5lbs, with a big loss of 7lbs in the first 11 days. So if anything I would aim for a steady weight loss of 1 - 2lbs, by reducing calorie intake, logging your food and adding exercise. I am just starting 30 day shred dvd, which is amazing and hopefully will help me firm up as i'm loosing weight. Good luck with your weight loss journey, it's not easy but then what is.
    Wow, this is almost exactly me! I am also just starting 30 day shred and focussing more on a healthier lifestly. Its a bonus that the extra pounds are coming off slowly but surely too. Would it be a bit stalkerish to friend you!!!
  • janeytom
    janeytom Posts: 72 Member
    Hey, i'm just starting out too. Would anyone be able to help explain why my ticker only says i'm 169lb when I'm actually 200?: lol :P

Don't know- I'd ask in the tech support forum, rather than have it buried in this thread. :-D
  • UmmSqueaky
    UmmSqueaky Posts: 715 Member
    Slow down, set a reasonable weight loss goal and read this:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

I'm just about to finish up my 3rd month here and I've lost half of 50 lbs. That's with carefully watching what I eat and exercising 6 days a week.