Fluid retention with new exercise program?

Options
Hey guys, I saw something somewhere about new exercise programs potentially causing fluid retention. Is this the case? And if so, how long does it last?
The last week I've actually gained about a pound and a half, but I also just started exercising every day. Previously I sat on my butt all day and barely moved, so it's quite the change. I was wondering if that was possibly to blame, or if it was the stupid cupcakes my boyfriend bought for my birthday :laugh:

All I'm doing is cardio, no weights or anything like that, if it matters.

Replies

• _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Yes it's true it'll settle down after a week or so
  • jennifries227
    jennifries227 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Good to know. Thank you!
  • fergie1967runner1
    fergie1967runner1 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    A high carb diet will cause the body to retain water. Most distance runners that carbo load days before a race will experience a weight gain which is good if it's gonna be burnt off days later. Carbs are the primary source of energy Protein aids in recovery post workout which helps build lean muscle, but those looking to lose weight need to burn fat ( which is very inefficient ) building lean muscle will increase your BMR lots of online calculators to figure that.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    if you're sure you're staying within your calorie budget (logging accurately and consistently) and see a weight increase, usually water retention is to blame. Yes, you can retain water from exercise - this is because water and glycogen storage is part of the healing process for the microtears that can be caused when one is new to exercise or increases the intensity in any way (new program, increased distance/pace, increased reps/sets/weight, etc). It's kind of like when you sprain your ankle and it swells only not as obvious.

FYI, you can also retain water from high sodium intake, high carb intake and monthly hormone cycle. This is why tracking is a good tool. You can go back and see what you've done over the last week and figure out whether it's real weight from eating too much or just fluid retention.

So the cupcakes might have had something to do with it but as long as you ddin't go completely overboard with them, it shouldn't effect our weight loss too much. IMHO, treats can be good from time to time - helps one to stay on track.
  • digee101
    digee101 Posts: 13
    Options
    It's a late response, but thanks for this. I have just started to exercise more intensely and I can feel my rings tighten right up. Got on the scale and there was a 3 lb gain in 2 days while eating in a deficit. I have always been a sponge with humidity, etc. but never knew that a new workout could cause retention. Makes sense now.