Meeting your macros

Options
For people who track macros, who aims to meet them daily and does anyone not worry too much day to day and focus on a week. I've been tracking on here for almost 6 weeks now and I started by only focusing on meeting calories, but now I'm starting to become more interested in my macros, but I'm finding that on my diet as it is I'm not very often hitting the percentages daily, but by the end of the week my weekly totals are getting quite close. Also, how many people just use the original percentages given and how many of you change them?

Replies

• editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's fine to look at your nutrition for the past 7 days, not just today.

I use MFP's protein goal as a minimum (fiber, too), and ignore carbs & fat. But if you ask 100 MFPers you'll get 100 different answers. It will take trial & error to find what works for you.

Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • Tophermak
    Tophermak Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    ^^^^^This. . . .start with mfps and then make slight changes to tailor your specific needs from there. . . I find 35% carbs 40% protein and 25% fat works for me for slow one lb a week weightloss. . . if I want to maintain I up my carbs some. . .wanna loose faster I drop my carbs down to 30%. . . but everyone is different. You will have to find your sweet spot thru trial and error. . . :)
  • girldownsouth
    girldownsouth Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I like the idea of meeting protein and fibre then not worrying too much.
  • tquill
    tquill Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I aim to meet protein and fat macros. If I'm a bit under on carbs... meh. That said, I'm usually pretty close on all of them, while being very slightly under or over on calories.

Fiber, sodium, or any non-macro... I don't even look at.

I would most definitely recommend changing the MFP defaults. The protein is incredibly low.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I've been quite obsessive about meeting my macros, so much that I suddenly lost interest, haha. And I realised I couldn't even remember why I had decided to go for 50F/30C/20P in the first place, and why exactly that should be superior to any other ratio. I think I'll be just fine if I aim to eat according to my initial plan: 1400 calories and something from each food group every day.