A new way to count glasses of water

think48
think48 Posts: 366 Member
edited September 21 in Health and Weight Loss
I sit at a desk all day for work. I have always struggled with motivation to drink enough water during the day. I only drink water after my morning cup of coffee, but I usually only drink 1 to 2 glasses.

Well, this morning the lightbulb went off. I put 4 rubberbands around my cup. Now, each time I finish a cup of the water, I get to take 1 rubber band off. Hopefully this will motivate me to get 4 cups in while I'm at work (they are 16 oz cups).

Replies

• JennS19
    JennS19 Posts: 642 Member
    Great idea!!! Anything to get water in is a great idea in my book!! :smile:
  • tlvillatorola
    tlvillatorola Posts: 17 Member
    You could also pay yourself to drink water. Put lets say eight nickels are whatever in a jar or everytime you drink a cup or glass of water take a coin and put it in a savings account, at the end of the year you probably could buy a new outfit, or something you really want.
  • elmct57
    elmct57 Posts: 594 Member
    :drinker: great tip! :flowerforyou: BUMP
  • think48
    think48 Posts: 366 Member
    You could also pay yourself to drink water. Put lets say eight nickels are whatever in a jar or everytime you drink a cup or glass of water take a coin and put it in a savings account, at the end of the year you probably could buy a new outfit, or something you really want.

LOL. That'd be great if I could find someone ELSE to fill the initial jar with nickels. ;)

It's a great idea, really! Having something to measure is motivating to me.
  • i love the nickle idea...im starting that today plus its so easy .... thank you so much
  • I was having trouble with the water motivation, as well, until I got the CamelBak water bottle. The bottle is a little over 24oz (it goes up to 750 ml) and I usually finish a whole bottle before 10 AM. It's so easy to sip from and has really boosted the amount of water I intake at work, you know, from zero cups to three. If there's a jug in the water cooler downstairs, I hop down and fill the bottle back up, and that's another three cups right there.

I really like your idea, though. Some mornings I just don't have the time to fill up my water bottle before work and have to leave it. On those days, I don't drink any water at all! I might just keep a cup at work for those days, and try your rubberband method!
  • Natural
    Natural Posts: 461 Member

i like this. i'm on cup 4. some days are worse than others, but i'm drinking it. now i just have to figure out where to get the money from. :)
  • ohwhataday
    ohwhataday Posts: 1,398 Member
    Very creative idea!
  • I use a big 32 oz bottle. I filled up when I in the morning when I first arrived at work. Then I make myself drink it all before morning break, usually around 10:30. I filled it up again and make myself drink it all by lunch time, 12:30 or 1pm. The I fill up the last time and drink it all by the time I leave 4:30. If you make it a rountine, it works.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    love it!
  • maureak
    maureak Posts: 107 Member
    What has worked the best for me: I drink two glasses of water in the morning before I leave for work. I also have a 32 ounce water bottle at the office and make sure it's empty before I leave for the day. Then all I have left in the evening is another two cups to go and I've hit my goal.
  • hammersue1
    hammersue1 Posts: 96 Member
    I dont mind drinking the water, its all the trips to the loo day and night thats gets to me lol
  • ♥jewelchristian♥
    ♥jewelchristian♥ Posts: 3,666 Member
    I made the mistake of drinking a liter (32oz) after my exercise last night - after 7PM. I had to get up to go twice between 10:30 and 11. I would rather have my sleep
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    I dont mind drinking the water, its all the trips to the loo day and night thats gets to me lol

I agree with you. I think that the younger people may not have that problem, but as we grow older and our bladders don't hold much, then, it is something else.:blushing:

I drink one glass with my thyroid meds early in the morning, 2 glasses with lunch, 2 with dinner and what ever else I can put in my mouth the rest of the day. My doctor told me that all fluids count, not only plain water, and she recommended to keep hydrated but not get worried about the 8 glasses. So I don't. Besides, in my case, drinking more water did not have any impact in the weight lost.
  • that is a great idea. I just keep a 32oz bottle with me at all times and hope to finish it each day.
  • batty5
    batty5 Posts: 193
    I have to try to drink mine earlier in the day as I need some sleep & one night had to go to the loo 14 yes 14 times!!!! Doesn't help that due to a back problem when I lie down my brain always gets a "need loo" message.
  • I use 500ml bottles. I fill up 6 each day. I have one when I wake up, start one with breakfast and finish it after. One when I get to work. One over lunch, one in the afternoon and one with dinner xxx
This discussion has been closed.