Shoe Recommendations...

Options
I'm in the market for a new pair of running kicks. I'm not a runner but I walk on the treadmill roughly 100 miles per month. I want a running shoe because they tend to be ligher where the walking shoes I'm finding are so bulky.

I found a pair of Brooks pureflow which I think I might get. Someone also directed me toward the Nike 5.0's.

I'm just looking for any input on a really light, comfortable pair of shoes which also would be good for arch pain. I can always add an insert but am looking for any direction on whats good. This will be my first pair of nice athletic shoes since high school track many, many moons ago.

Replies

• train_01
    train_01 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I have the Brooks. Love them. They are good for arch support and very light.
  • OverDoIt
    OverDoIt Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Look in eastbay's clearance section. They have some fantastic deals. Nike is the way to go for any running shoes. I have several pair and they last forever if you only use them at the gym or while training outdoors.
  • firead
    firead Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I would go to a specialty running store and see what the recommend. Shoes fit differently depending on your feet and the way you walk, so certain ones are better for certain people and stores like this will watch you walk or run and make recommendations based on that. As far as my personal preference, I love the Brooks Adrenaline series.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I would go to a specialty running store and see what the recommend. Shoes fit differently depending on your feet and the way you walk, so certain ones are better for certain people and stores like this will watch you walk or run and make recommendations based on that. As far as my personal preference, I love the Brooks Adrenaline series.

yup go to a store and try on a bunch and find out what you like, they are an investment to do some reasearch. Also take you normal walking shoes with you because employees can sometimes use the wear patterns on them to help make suggestions for you.

Shoes are not a one size fits all kinda thing so you gotta go out and figure out what you like not what someone else likes.
  • jlshea
    jlshea Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    I had yesterday off and went to a few shoe specialty stores. The one place tried to bamboozle me into a New Balance pair which I couldn't stand. I did get on the istep and saw that I put all my foot pressure on my heals which explains my heal pain.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Go to a running shop and get fitted/sized. The Brooks Pure series are minimal/lightweight shoes and designed specifically for forefoot striking (borderline racing flats), and have a very low drop which could bother your Achilles if you're not running as they are designed for.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    You can try entering your details here:

http://www.runnersworld.com/shoe-finder/shoe-advisor

In this month's March issue of Runners World it has a chart based upon your personal characteristics and will advise you on a different set of options of shoes. The mag is home and I am at work, so I can't look it up. But it had options and reviews of quite a few shoes that are out now including light weight and minimalistic ones.