Anyone with various food allergies?

Options
I am recently diagnosed with food allergies to gluten, dairy, eggs, beef, and almonds. Since then I have gained a lot of weight and ended up here!

How do you stay healthy and meet your calorie goals?

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I am recently diagnosed with food allergies to gluten, dairy, eggs, beef, and almonds. Since then I have gained a lot of weight and ended up here!

How do you stay healthy and meet your calorie goals?

You would do it the same as everyone else. Eat a variety of foods that meet your nutrient and calories goals. Rice, quinoa, buckwheat, and other glueten free grains, chicken, turkey, fish, tofu, beans, and a variety of vegetables and fruits would all fit into your dietary restrictions. Choose soy, rice or coconut milk to replace dairy. Use olive oil instead of butter.

You say you are allergic to almonds, does that mean all tree nuts? What about peanuts? Some people that have nut allergies can eat Sunbutter (made from sunflower seeds).
  • samspam1023
    samspam1023 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I'm allergic to eggs and pistachios, and I've found that my body feels amazing on a balanced, plant-based diet. I have several friends and family members with gluten intolerance/allergies or celiac disease, so I've learned a lot about GF eating from them.

I browse (and cook from) a lot of vegetarian/vegan blogs, and the two links below are a couple of favorites. Both feature a lot of recipes that GF and nut-free, and all are dairy, egg, and meat -free.

http://kblog.lunchboxbunch.com/

http://ohsheglows.com/
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    You do the best you can. It takes creativity and endurance that is for sure. Especially when you first have to deal with it. While I do not have food allergies, I do have another medical condition that makes it where eating some foods can cause me to become quite ill and be in intense pain. So I know what it is like trying to find foods that are safe.

You will most likely have to do a lot more cooking from scratch. Learn what items can be used in replace of others.

I promise you though, you can do it.