19 years old and having trouble losing weight!

Options
All my life I had a perfect, thin, toned body without even trying. I am 19 years old, 5'6, and 150 lbs. I have a pear shaped body.

Since starting university, I have gained 26 lbs (from 124 lbs to 150 lbs), developed multiple food allergies (dairy, gluten, eggs, beef, almonds), and am feeling quite low! None of my old clothes fit me anymore.

You would think cutting out all those foods would help, but it doesn't seem to.

I am looking for some advice on how to be healthy with my restricted diet and how to lose weight. I feel like it should be easy because I'm young and meant to have a fast metabolism.

I'd like to mention that I have become quite the anxious person - often worrying all day about my weight and school work.

Replies

• 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    First I would say if you have not seen a doctor that might be a good idea, sounds strange to just develop all these food allergies?

Basically you just set a calorie goal with MFP and eat within that limit. As some guidance since you are not overly obese and have a relatively small amount of weight to lose I would just shoot for 1 or 0.5 lbs a week, no fun in starving yourself. The best trick to staying healthy is to be well balanced in your diet. You need a little of everything for your body to work well.

Try to find some friends on here that have similar intereses as you and HAVE HAD SOME SUCCESS ALREADY, its great to have friends who need to lose weight but the ones who have already been successful and the ones with the really good tips ;)

Get started and use your friends for information and a support group.

Best of luck to you!
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    At 5'6" and 150 you're not exactly overweight. If I were you, I wouldn't restrict your diet, and I wouldn't worry so much about losing weight. What I would do is get on a heavy progressive lifting program three times a week. You'll lose inches instead of pounds and avoid being "skinny-fat."

Rigger
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    At 5'6" and 150 you're not exactly overweight. If I were you, I wouldn't restrict your diet, and I wouldn't worry so much about losing weight. What I would do is get on a heavy progressive lifting program three times a week. You'll lose inches instead of pounds and avoid being "skinny-fat."

Rigger

This...as I am a little bit taller than you and would love to weigh 150...;)..that would put me in a size 4 probably..and yes I lift heavy
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,610 Member
    Options
    Well stress and anxiety leads not only to higher cortisol output, but more than likely also affects your sleep. And sleep is essential for not only good health, but in regulating weight.
    Have a good plan put together. Make sure you're not just winging it. Get in a little exercise to help reduce some stress. And get a good night's sleep.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • lanitoebben
    lanitoebben Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am in the same place as you! Same age, height, and weight. And also trying to lose weight. The struggle is real.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Well it makes no difference as far as weight loss goes as to what foods you've cut out. It comes down to calories. If you eat at a surplus, you will gain weight. The type of foods make no difference in terms of weight loss /gain.
    To now lose the weight, you will need a calorie deficit. Eat less then you burn and you will lose weight. Again, the foods you pick make no difference for weight loss.
    But I'm wondering if you've been to a doctor about these sudden food allergies? If you haven't, I would go asap.Something else may be going on here. I would 100% go to a doctor .
  • GsKiki
    GsKiki Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    If you gained a lot of weight in a short amount of time, and develop so many food allergies, I would advise to check your thyroid. If it's not a medical issue, I would advise more exercising and healthier food. Also the more you worry about it, the harder it will be. So try to work on your stress and anxiety first. Good luck :)