Silly exercise injuries

Options
MB_Positif
MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
One of my friends just purchased a resistance band type of workout tool and I remembered an incident I had with a resistance band. Thought I'd share it because we all know we've hurt ourselves exercising...you know, smacking your forehead with the bar on skull crushers, tripping on a sidewalk brick during a run...so here you go...

Once upon a time I had a resistance band (the tube style) slip off of my foot during a rowing type motion and slap me right in my eye. It happened so fast I didn't even realize that it was the band. I thought my eyeball had exploded. I immediately slapped my hand over my eye and ran to the bathroom to look in he mirror. I couldn't even open my eye. I kept flushing it with cold water to see if I could get it open. I think it took about 20 minutes to get my eye to be able to stay open long enough to see if it was hurt. Totally thought I would have a black eye, but basically my eyelid got really swollen and red and a few days later it was all dry and peely. GROSS!

Replies

• JingleMuffin
    JingleMuffin Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    One time I was running down a path and tripped over a fire hose ( which I had seen from literally, a mile away)
    fell down. bleeding. In front of a slew of firemen. I was SO embarrassed. I just got up and ran off all bloody, lol.
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options
    Speaking of resistance bands, on cardio days, while working on the arctrainer, I have plenty of time to people watch. A month or so ago, I was watching one of the personal trainers working with a new client. She was holding the resistance band in the middle while the client had the handles in each hand, and drew them back as in a rowing motion. The trainer is fairly short, so she was holding the band about chin height. The thought crossed my mind, "She's a very trusting trainer". Within 5 seconds, the client accidentally let one of the handles slip through her sweaty hand, and the handle launched right into the trainer's cheek. The trainer started to turn her face down, and the client shrieked, and released the other handle to cover her mouth, and that one pelted the trainer in the head. When the trainer looked up, she had a red mark on her forehead at the hairline, and one on her cheek. That had to hurt.
  • MB_Positif
    Options
    Oh my gosh! These are "great!" Sorry to both of you, those are both crazy!

Once upon a time in middle school I got hit line drive with a softball to the nose/mouth. The little piece of skin(?) that holds the back of your upper lip to your gums basically split and bled like crazy. My lip and nose were giant swollen and I had to sit through the rest of the day at school like that.
  • michelefrench
    michelefrench Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    was doing a two person resistance band move where the person in front runs forward while the back person provides resistance at the other end of the rope (both harnessed in)...I ran as hard as I could down the field...she fell over forward like a water skier being dragged behind a boat...I couldn't hear her yelling at me to stop..dragged her quite a ways - thought it was a lot of resistance. Needless to say she was turf rashed from her shoulders down...oopsie, sorry....
  • IPAkiller
    IPAkiller Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    I've never had one, but when I was in the Navy and out to sea, I used to LOVE watching people try to run on treadmills while the ship was rockin and rollin. You haven't seen an epic treadmill fail untill you see a person sprinting, go over the console, land flat on thier back only to be rocketed head first into the wall behind them. Where was the "shut off key" you might ask... still in the console with the tether dangling in the wind.
  • MB_Positif
    Options
    Sports stories are welcome, of course :)
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    I missed a box jump, and caught my shin. Cut right down to the bone. Needed 12 stitches, but they didn't hold. Big scar on my shin now :(
  • daniellabella986
    daniellabella986 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I missed a box jump, and caught my shin. Cut right down to the bone. Needed 12 stitches, but they didn't hold. Big scar on my shin now :(

Pretty sure I'll NEVER do a box jump again!
  • ModernNerd
    ModernNerd Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Not my injury, but my twin managed to break his thumb during warmups before a soccer match....warmups... *facepalm* We know who got the smart genes :flowerforyou:
  • eddiesmith1
    eddiesmith1 Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    Well if school sport stories count, I have a 9 stitch scar on my head from playing goal in a shinny hockey game with multiple pucks in play. the mask i wore back then was a Jasques Plant style - covered my fave not the top of my head. Droped on one puck as someone took a slapshot with the other. Wow that was a lot of blood, it looked like a scene from Carrie :noway:

and going with one others got, I also played Cricket in school, I was out for a game with a pulled tendon and the guy replacing me at suicide ((just beside the batter on the side the ball will head if he wallops it) he didn't wear a cup (I should have warned him. Cricket balls then were wood covered with twine then leather, hard as hell, he caught one right in the groin line drive, swelled up like an elephant was carried off on a stretcher - and you though cricket was boring HA
  • MB_Positif
    Options
    Different story, my friend was playing baseball with us, ran to catch to ball and smacked his faced into a chain link fence. He had a red outline of the fence on his face for a few days.

This story reminds me of one of my college roommates...she climbed into the football stadium (this makes it a sports story, right?) with a guy she met at a bar...anyhow when they were leaving she slipped climbing the fence and basically got hung by her wrists on the top of the chain link fence. It had punctured both of her wrists. All bandaged up she looked like she had tried to off herself...eeeek
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    In the 90's when roller blades were kind of popular I decided to give them a try. I've always been awful on normal skates, off balance, trouble stopping, prone to falling so I should have known it was a bad idea. Also there is basically nowhere flat in my entire town so I'm just struggling up hills and risking my life going down them. One big hill I start flying down and just can't get stopped...not thinking I decide I'll just grab onto this phone pole and slow myself down...instead I knocked myself completely out cold and woke up with all sorts of strangers on Main St. asking me if I was ok. I never, ever put those skates on again.

Usually I just have minor issues like tripping on rocks or tree roots during trail runs and normally no one else is out there to see. I do get to pass people covered in dirt w/ bloody knees though so that's awkward. I do this at least every other run if not every run so I always have smattering of bruises. Now as part of the new health laws with each doctors appointment they ask if you've fallen in the past month and I'm never sure whether to say yes or not but the answer is always yes...lol
  • MaeRay007
    MaeRay007 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Wauw... euhm... were to start? Cause i have too many i think

Well maybe start with the rowing machine... (you probably see this coming)

Once upon a time (i feel like all these post should start with this) i was doing a workout on the rowing machine, not completly new to this, and i was going to try to set a new record for myself on teh 500 mtr distance, because the machines were not pinned down into the floor it sometimes happened the machine itself moved back and forward a bit. Because i had my earplugs in, and my eyes close to get me more focussed i did not notice the machine was moving backward a lot, all the way to the window, what was about 5 meters behind me when i started. When i was pretty close to it, i hit it really hard when moving backward and break trough the glass... It was on friday evening and i was about the only person still in cardio room... Immediatly the instructor came run up when he heard the crash... So embarrassing..., luckily i was just bruised mainly and a few scratches on my elbow, but no heavy bleeding...

Ours at the gym doesn't stay in place either. The gym has all there supplements and clothes display behind it and my fiance was rowing and backed into the them and they all went crashing down...and it was a busy Saturday morning.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Resistance bands again, from back in school. Two-person, feet-together opposed rowing with the bands. One hand lost its grip, the other rower got a resistance band to the groin.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    It didn't happen to me, but....

25fk3nk.jpg
  • bd0027
    bd0027 Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    I obviously don't workout enough for a good exercise injury, but these are hilarious.
  • 99clmsntgr
    99clmsntgr Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Out running a long run on an early Saturday morning. I was about 2 miles into a 9 mile run in a loop that I had run literally 100 times before.

You know how when contractors get sloppy and there's that little blob of concrete on the sidewalk that's maybe a half-inch high? Yep. Caught is just perfectly ***WHAM*** Faceplant.

Jumped up, did the cool-cat look around to make sure no one was watching. Bleeding out both elbows.

Finished the run, leaving little droplets the entire way.

Got home, both arms looked horrible. More sweat than blood. And mostly embarassed by having to tell the wife exactly what happened...

And we won't count me getting distracted on the treadmill Wednesday and almost busting my *kitten*. Because it's an almost, not an actually.
  • IPAkiller
    IPAkiller Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    It didn't happen to me, but....

25fk3nk.jpg
    WTF was this guy attempting? Anyone?
    chris-rock-huh-face.gif
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options
    Oh, sports stories too, when I was young, I lived in a neighborhood much like you see on Wayne's World. We played football/hockey/baseball in the middle of the road and moved out of the way when cars came around.

Anyway, we were playing football one day, and I was out for a pass. I ran long to receive it, and was looking over my shoulder as the ball came soaring in a perfect spiral right at me. I had to pick up speed a little as it looked like it would go right over me a little. I stretched long and felt the ball enter my fingertips. I grabbed the skin and pulled the ball in towards my body to stabilize the catch when I felt a large painful force hit me right in the upper thigh mere centimeters from my genitals. My forward momentum flipped me over the top of the fire hydrant as I skinned my upper body on the sidewalk and continued to roll another 10 feet beyond it while still holding the football.

I made the touchdown, but the bruise to my leg was so bad, I couldn't walk for three days, and I was road rash all over my face, back, and arms.