Overweight BECAUSE of fitness program?!

Options
13»

Replies

• ashleyrb927
    Options
    I'm sure my body fat percentage has decreased from where I started in January; but in October, I was fit and 130-135 lbs. Now, I'm fit... but 10 lbs heavier. I'm not a body-builder and have no desire to be. I'm not using the scale as my *only* measure of success, I just want my "old" fit body back, not the new version.

But... but... Your old body had 7 more inches on it!

Yeah, you'd think that observation would be profound… but the almighty scale wins the day… (Hint: ditch the scale and keep taking measurements instead)

What negatives are there to being smaller and stronger? Rather than flabbier and weaker with a lower number on the scale….

OP: how is it that you were happier the way you were before when your measurements were bigger? Re-read the thread and then maybe you will see why people think you are trolling. Weighing more but being smaller IS A VERY DESIRABLE THING. Because it means you are STRONGER, and healthier usually.

I wasn't happier when my measurements were bigger. I was happier in October when I was a (little) smaller and weighed (significantly) less. I've always been athletic, so I was never flabby.

The 7" weight loss from January is definitely awesome, but most of it is the junk food holiday crap weight that usually isn't there in the first place!

So I guess it's less disappointment over what the scale says and more confusion over why the scale says it. If I'm losing inches and (according to comments on here) can't be gaining much -- if any -- muscle, am I carrying around almost 10 lbs of water?
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    I'm sure my body fat percentage has decreased from where I started in January; but in October, I was fit and 130-135 lbs. Now, I'm fit... but 10 lbs heavier. I'm not a body-builder and have no desire to be. I'm not using the scale as my *only* measure of success, I just want my "old" fit body back, not the new version.

But... but... it didn't! In October, each thigh was a 1/2" smaller, and my waist was 1/2" smaller. So I'm 1 1/2" bigger but 10 lbs. heavier now than I was less than 5 months ago.

Am I really the ONLY one on here that finds that frustrating?

Why would we be frustrated because you have gained weight?

I mean...I wish you luck and everything but the only weight that might possibly frustrate me is my own.
  • ashleyrb927
    Options

But... but... it didn't! In October, each thigh was a 1/2" smaller, and my waist was 1/2" smaller. So I'm 1 1/2" bigger but 10 lbs. heavier now than I was less than 5 months ago.

Am I really the ONLY one on here that finds that frustrating?

Why would we be frustrated because you have gained weight?

I mean...I wish you luck and everything but the only weight that might possibly frustrate me is my own.

C'mon. Seriously? Clearly, I meant "Am I the ONLY one who [would find that] frustrating?" I wasn't soliciting empathy.

I don't really post on boards, and this thread has reminded me why. For all of the helpful and encouraging advice I've gotten, there are still folks who take time out of their day to purposely be sarcastic and rude. Why would you go out of your way to be mean to someone? Who benefits from that?
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    No amount or type of exercise is enough to gain muscle without a caloric excess. If you are unhappy with the scale weight but happy with the physical changes that are accompanying this routine you have two logical choices:

1. Keep on doing exactly what you are doing. No one but you sees the stupid scale number anyways.
    2. Keep doing the workout but eat less (drop your calories by ~10-15% from what you are eating now). If you really truly want to lose weight, you need to accurately track everything you eat and use a food scale instead of estimating portion sizes.