How long does whey keep (homemade)?

Options
I made yoghurt yesterday and decided on a whim to make ricotta today (the kind of cheese where you heat milk with acid in a pot? Not sure what English-speaking people call it but it's basically ricotta to me, if it has a more English name, would love to learn what it is :smile: )

I used a cup of the yoghurt and a squirt of lemon juice to curd the milk and now have a full pot of delicious whey. So how long can I expect it to keep in the fridge? I'd rather save some for recipes instead of us drinking all of it up, not that we would mind :)

Replies

• Wiseandcurious
    Wiseandcurious Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Bump - anybody?
  • suremeansyes
    suremeansyes Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    I had read up on this a little while back, here is a site with some suggestions.

http://www.theprairiehomestead.com/2011/06/16-ways-to-use-your-whey.html

ETA: Sorry, don't know how to embed the link, lol.
  • Wiseandcurious
    Wiseandcurious Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Thank you. I can't answer my own original question because we used it up in 2 days. I guess the's no danger it will ever go off before we finish it :smile:
  • iwantwow
    iwantwow Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    in india..we basically make this kind of cheese at home...by adding lemon juice to milk(boiling),....u can separate the whey using some muslin cloth and just tight the cloth...excess water wil come out ....u can use this in rice ,gravys etc...for one week and more in fridge it will work....:)...and we call it "paneer"