Best Fitness Accessory to Buy?

Options
Hi there, I was wondering if I could get some advice on the best accessory to invest in. I'm not talking cute running shoes or tops, etc. I mean what are the merits to investing in heart rate watches and the like.

I'm on the path to becoming more fit and healthy and I've been going to the gym for the last 2 months and seeing okay results - but my brother has just gotten me a gift card for Sport Chek for my birthday and I want to spend it on something that will really help my progress and make a difference in my routine.

Any help on the matter is greatly appreciated! :)

Replies

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I would probably say a heart rate monitor if you are in to running, cycling, or any other steady state cardio. Just know going in that they are just estimations, and they are very unreliable for anything other than steady state cardio.
  • UrbanLotus
    UrbanLotus Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    Ditto on the HRM- I'm obsessed with mine for workouts! It's a great motivator to see how many cals you are burning while you work out. I have the Polar FT4 an it's been great!
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    FitBit, hands down. Unless you are looking to train for something like a race, the FitBit will do a great job of tracking the calories out side of the equation, and likely much more accurately than a heart rate moniter can.
  • Annalisa_87
    Annalisa_87 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Does an Ipod count. If it does then an Ipod, becuas enothings more motivating then listening to music and that nike+ app has been great.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    FitBit, hands down. Unless you are looking to train for something like a race, the FitBit will do a great job of tracking the calories out side of the equation, and likely much more accurately than a heart rate moniter can.

I used to think that way, but the more and more people I see that are stalled on weight loss using those, it makes me hesitant to recommend one. That being said, I haven't used one so I don't really know. Just seems they overcalculate for everyone. I absolutely could be wrong though.

In reality, I don't think either really matter all that much.
  • LizzieS232
    Options
    A heart rate monitor. Especially if you do cardio stuff, it gives you a much better indication of how many calories you're burning etc. If you're measuring out your food, you should be measuring your exercise well too! Some will work out your optimum hr for burning etc as well :) A useful bit of kit, and you can get them for a lot less money than things like FitBit.
  • wink212
    wink212 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Ditto on the HRM- I'm obsessed with mine for workouts! It's a great motivator to see how many cals you are burning while you work out. I have the Polar FT4 an it's been great!

Do you feel the polar is pretty acurate? I just bought a polar RS100 and used it for the first time this morning. It said 420 burned for 40 minutes of circuit training. Does that sound right?
  • alexis831
    alexis831 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    FITBIT! I rarely break out my HRM but my fitbit is on me 24/7. I also did both one day to test the fitbits acuracy and it was really really close to what the HRM said anyway.
  • UrbanLotus
    UrbanLotus Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options

Do you feel the polar is pretty acurate? I just bought a polar RS100 and used it for the first time this morning. It said 420 burned for 40 minutes of circuit training. Does that sound right?

I do! It's pretty consistent - when I don't work as hard the cals are a bit less etc. And I don't feel like it overestimates - I burn about 200-240 cals walking at a high incline for 30 min. I'm not sure about circuit training, but I think you are only supposed to use it for steady cardio, not weights etc.
  • greeneyessmile
    Options
    Hmmm ok, I was already looking at the FitBit because it seems interesting.

For those of you that do use it - do you find it awkward to wear every day? Also, can you wear it other places other than your wrist? I work in a corporate environment and it might seem out of place to wear.
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    a good set of variable dumbbells would be the thing I'd get

You can do pretty much every exercise with them, you can strip them and use them for sit ups, chin ups etc, can do squats, burpees, thrusters,m renagades

You can add them to some many home exercises etc
  • fitprincess4333
    Options
    Fitbit One - LOVE mine - it motivates me to keep moving. Best investment I made. (Wear it on my bra - I had the Flex and returned it after 2 days, decided I did not want it on my wrist 24/7)
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options

I used to think that way, but the more and more people I see that are stalled on weight loss using those, it makes me hesitant to recommend one. That being said, I haven't used one so I don't really know. Just seems they overcalculate for everyone. I absolutely could be wrong though.

My Fitbit actually under-estimates my caloric need. I never stalled on weight loss, and have managed to keep the 66 pounds I lost off for over two years.

I personally found a tracking device (like Fitbit or BodyMedia) to be far more useful and accurate than a HRM. I actually gave my HRM away to someone on my friend list because I just wasn't using it.
  • Thimbelinda
    Thimbelinda Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I have the fitbit one. I like that it is a clip style and can wear it on my clothing. It helps motivate me to move more throughout the day, not just during workouts. Some people have a skin reaction to the fitbit force. Check their website for more info about the sensitivity.
  • jigsawxyouth
    jigsawxyouth Posts: 308 Member
    Options

I currently use a FitBit and still use a HRM sometimes when I do my cardio. That way I know what I should enter when it comes to logging my activity. I tried logging my activity using only the FitBit app, but it was always under what it should have been, trying to log only by MFP standards wasn't really correct either, so the HRM really pin points it. Having the FitBit synced with MFP works out very well when I go for walks on my breaks (I don't bother logging those) but MFP will deduct the calories burned. It's worth checking out.

The customer service has been really great, as well. It's a fun little gadget for working out!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    a squat rack.

and Dana Lynn Bailey- but I'm not sure I can afford that.
  • yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    - a pull-up bar.
  • jigsawxyouth
    jigsawxyouth Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Hmmm ok, I was already looking at the FitBit because it seems interesting.

For those of you that do use it - do you find it awkward to wear every day? Also, can you wear it other places other than your wrist? I work in a corporate environment and it might seem out of place to wear.

I use the Flex, and wearing it on my wrist, it looks just like a very slim watch or bracelet. I upgraded from the One, which I wore clipped to my bra, so, no one would even see it... and it's pretty small.
    The Zip, which is the basic FitBit is a little bigger than a quarter. and can also be clipped anywhere.
  • Of_Monsters_and_Meat
    Of_Monsters_and_Meat Posts: 1,022 Member
    Options
    My next fitness related purchase will be a new set of blue tooth sports headphones.
  • Gdmerrit1
    Options
    Fitbit, Sony Sport MP3 Player, Treadmill