King crab calorie question

Options
Dinner out tonight…can't weigh the food, obviously. I'm going to order the Alaskan king crab. I found the following on fatsecret.com, does it sound right?

Calories
Fat
2.72g
Carbs
0g
Protein
82.96g
There are 381 calories in 1 pound of Alaska King Crab.
Calorie breakdown: 6% fat, 0% carbs, 94% protein.

I know that doesn't include my sides or the butter. But I can work with 381 calories for the crab.
What do you all think?

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Crab is pretty low cal - as you said it is the butter & high cal sides that gets you (good crab doesn't need butter anyway). Yummy yummy - I'm a little jealous.
  • determined_erin
    determined_erin Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    That sounds right. Crab is very healthy and doesn't have many calories.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    It sounds reasonable to me. And now I want some crab legs!
  • Rage_Phish
    Rage_Phish Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    there is no limit to the amount of crab i can eat. there is no better food that comes from the ocean than dingeness crab
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,344 Member
    Options
    I think yours is on the high side, I do believe in rounding up but I think this might be more accurate and YAY it means more crab for you!!!
    Alaska Seafood Marketing Institute - Snow Crab Legs, 7.5 oz out of shell (thats about 2lbs in shell)

238cal

3fat

50pro

0carb

I just had 2lbs of crab for my bday dinner I do it every year and I looked it up in several places this was the most accurate I could find
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,946 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind that if your ordering 1 lb of crab legs a lot of that weight is shell.
  • 99clmsntgr
    99clmsntgr Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    If in doubt, trust the Government.

http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods/show/4596

Crab, Alaska King, Raw:
    Value for 452g (that's 1 pound)
    Energy 380 kcal
    Protein 82.67g
    Total lipids 2.71g
    Sodium 3779 mg (!!!!)
    Total Carbs 0g

(And this:

http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/search/list

should be bookmarked by everyone who's dieting. It's not 100% all-inclusive, but I trust it more than some of the wtf-listings that I've seen in this database or other sites)
  • Grimmerick
    Options

Crab, Alaska King, Raw:
    Energy 380 kcal
    Protein 82.67g
    Total lipids 2.71g
    Sodium 3779 mg (!!!!)
    Total Carbs 0g

(And this:

should be bookmarked by everyone who's dieting. It's not 100% all-inclusive, but I trust it more than some of the wtf-listings that I've seen in this database or other sites)

is that in or out of the shell? I had a hard time finding that info
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,946 Member
    Options

Crab, Alaska King, Raw:
    Energy 380 kcal
    Protein 82.67g
    Total lipids 2.71g
    Sodium 3779 mg (!!!!)
    Total Carbs 0g

(And this:

is that in or out of the shell? I had a hard time finding that info
    Out.
  • emmietoby
    emmietoby Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    when i use to go to ww they always said to use mustard in place of butter so i tryed it and now i love it i don't miss the butter even on baked pototaes it's great. don't knock it if you have never tryed it . you will be surpirzed about how good it is ..
  • Grimmerick
    Options
    when i use to go to ww they always said to use mustard in place of butter so i tryed it and now i love it i don't miss the butter even on baked pototaes it's great. don't knock it if you have never tryed it . you will be surpirzed about how good it is ..

Ooo I will def try this
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options

Thanks for sharing. I love crab but the butter is a killer.
  • CDogg17
    Options
    Thank you, everybody! It's my birthday, so I'm gonna have the butter, but I'll go easy on it ;) Gotta save room for my Grey Goose and cranberry! On my way to the gym for a conditioning circuit with my trainer…hoping to knock out at least enough calories for my crab!

Again, I really appreciate all the replies!
  • jlynnm70
    jlynnm70 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Have a happy birthday!
  • 1PatientBear
    1PatientBear Posts: 2,089 Member
    Options

:noway:
  • jlclabo
    jlclabo Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    and dont forget the calories you burn trying to crack the damn things just to get to the meat, lol....
  • MystikPixie
    MystikPixie Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    It'll take you an hour to crack open a pound of crab meat, so at the least you'll work off the calories from it just trying to get it out of it's shell.
  • 99clmsntgr
    99clmsntgr Posts: 777 Member
    Options

:noway:

First off, I'm surprised it took that long to get that response. I could have put a winky on there, but then everyone would know I was being sarcastic.

In all seriousness, tho, I think I trust the USDA as far as food calorie contents. Just sayin'.
  • Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Enjoy! I am jealous :grumble:

There are few foods that I know of that are as protein rich and calorie light as crab and other shellfish. The fact that they taste freaking awesome is an additional bonus! Almost feels like a guilty bonus. Crab (and scallops, and mussels, and oysters) for the MFing win!
  • LissaK1981
    LissaK1981 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    The only downside to crab is high cholesterol as far as I know. Same with shrimp I think. Low cal, high protein.