for anyone worried about their metabolism or the dreaded 120

Options
I would HIGHLY recommend an RMR test. This tests your Resting Metabolic Rate. (contrary to popular word usage, you cannot have your BMR tested unless your actually in a coma, and all calorie decisions should be made on your RMR).
Anyway.... I always thought that my metabolism was low, (i was mean to it when I was younger) and wasnt losing weight for months eating my recommended 1200 cals.

Read an article by a doctor who said basically she was fed up with hearing people say that their metabolism must be low because they werent losing weight because if everyone who thought this was correct something would be very wrong with the population in general.
So i pondered this (admittedly somewhat defiantly) and then had a chance to have my RMR checked by an exercise physiologist at a clinic.
Surprise surprise, my RMR was 1415 calories!! The predicted for my height/weight etc was 1336, so I was even higher (albiet only by 6%) than the average!
He said it was probably due to the amount of gym work I was doing.

SO.... generally if you're happy with how you're going, then no need to check, but if you're one of these people that SWEARS your metabolism is low, or scared of eating 1200 calories, or are convinced that by eating more than this you will put on weight, I would highly recommend getting it checked. It put my mind at ease and has made a difference to how I view my weight loss.

Sorry that title was supposed to read 1200, but it cut me off.

Replies

• littlespoon
    littlespoon Posts: 165
    Options
    I would HIGHLY recommend an RMR test. This tests your Resting Metabolic Rate. (contrary to popular word usage, you cannot have your BMR tested unless your actually in a coma, and all calorie decisions should be made on your RMR).
    Anyway.... I always thought that my metabolism was low, (i was mean to it when I was younger) and wasnt losing weight for months eating my recommended 1200 cals.

Read an article by a doctor who said basically she was fed up with hearing people say that their metabolism must be low because they werent losing weight because if everyone who thought this was correct something would be very wrong with the population in general.
    So i pondered this (admittedly somewhat defiantly) and then had a chance to have my RMR checked by an exercise physiologist at a clinic.
    Surprise surprise, my RMR was 1415 calories!! The predicted for my height/weight etc was 1336, so I was even higher (albiet only by 6%) than the average!
    He said it was probably due to the amount of gym work I was doing.

SO.... generally if you're happy with how you're going, then no need to check, but if you're one of these people that SWEARS your metabolism is low, or scared of eating 1200 calories, or are convinced that by eating more than this you will put on weight, I would highly recommend getting it checked. It put my mind at ease and has made a difference to how I view my weight loss.

Sorry that title was supposed to read 1200, but it cut me off.
  • neome90
    neome90 Posts: 420
    Options
    :happy: Veeerrryyy Interesting. Thanks for the info. And yes I have the dreaded low metabolism fear.
  • edyta
    edyta Posts: 258
    Options
    Very interesting, thanks :flowerforyou:

Can you tell us how does the test look like? Is it expensive?
    Where we should go to do it?

I was wondering if I can make use of my heart rate monitor to measure how many calories I actually need but this probably won't be so accurate. What do you all think??
  • littlespoon
    littlespoon Posts: 165
    Options
    The test takes about half an hour, you lay down and breathe into a mask/tube thing. It reads oxygen/dioxide levels. The reason it takes so long is to make sure that you are in "rest", rather than slightly anxious etc etc.

I live in Australia, so I only know where you can do it here. I believe the cost was AU$150.