Weighing

Options
This morning I weighed myself and then I weighed myself this afternoon and it says that I weigh two more pounds now then I did this morning! Which is right? When should you weigh yourself?

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    First thing in the morning, after your trip to the bathroom, is going to be the more accurate weight. Food, water, and waste build up in your system throughout the day, which adds to the weight on the scale.

You wouldn't stand on the scale with your lunch plate or a big glass of water in hand, would you? When you weigh yourself after you've been eating and drinking throughout the day, that's essentially what you're doing.
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    First thing in the morning, after your trip to the bathroom, is going to be the more accurate weight. Food, water, and waste build up in your system throughout the day, which adds to the weight on the scale.

You wouldn't stand on the scale with your lunch plate or a big glass of water in hand, would you? When you weigh yourself after you've been eating and drinking throughout the day, that's essentially what you're doing.

All that. ^

Everything you eat and drink has weight, whether it has calories or not. If you drink 8oz. of water and then weigh yourself, that 8oz. is going to show up on the scale because it's in your body.
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options

^^That. I mean, as long as you're consistent as to when you weigh yourself then over time it shouldn't matter TOO much. But variations in what you do during the day can absolutely cause fluctuations. Weighing yourself first thing in the morning, after bathroom, undressed (or in the same thing every time) is going to give you the most comparable results from weigh in to weigh in. But remember that even then you can have fluctuations from day to day from (primarily) water and waste issues.