This mom needs advise!!!

Options

Replies

• dschassie
    dschassie Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Thanks and that's a good thing to bring up! Should I be doing a post protein shake?? I always heard the stories of it will put on weight not in a good way. Thank god for this forum!! Sure is helping!!

I use them when I don't get enough protein through other sources. I mix mine with 8oz of natural/unsweetend almond milk (30 cals or so). It makes it a bit creamier but keeps the calories down vs using whole milk or yogurt. I tried the whey powder with water - just couldn't do it!
  • fitmomforu
    fitmomforu Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    What's a good powder and what's the protein % I should look for?
  • Sarge516
    Sarge516 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    If I were you, I'd look to your carb intake as a source for your slow loss. Carbs are fuel, your body turns them into blood sugar relatively easy, especially simple carbs like white bread, non-whole wheat pasta, white rice, etc. As protein intake goes, I'd suggest about 0.6g protein per pound of lean body mass as a minimum.

Instead of re-typing it all, just read my blog where I addresses the issue:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Sarge516

Also, please continue with the strength training. It is very beneficial in weight loss, and for overall health - which is the ultimate goal isn't it? If you strength train, you are less likely to be injured when doing cardio or other training, if you do injure yourself, you'll recover faster, it makes your bones and connective tissues stronger, gives you better posture, and on and on the benefits go. Think of it this way - strength training is an investment. Cardio has more immediate payoff in calorie burn. Building more muscle makes your TDEE go up as muscle is active tissue. If two people are the same age and size, sex, etc. and one has more muscle than the other, the person with more muscle tissue burns more calories just existing. Fat is inactive tissue. It is energy storage, not an energy user.

I am a Personal Trainer, and have additional training in Nutrition.
  • Vonikins
    Vonikins Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I've noticed something that others may not have caught - you have a 6month old, are you still breastfeeding? You may be needing to eat more to see results if you are because that activity changes how your body works. Also, since your system is still in part adjusting to post-pregnancy, there might be some metabolism resistance as your hormones slowly work back down to normal. Just my thoughts in general and what I've experienced as a newer mom.
  • Sarge516
    Sarge516 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Oh, and on which protein powder/shake to buy...instead of just recommending a brand, I'll tell you this. Turn the jug around and read the label. You want low carb, low sugar (1 - 2g per scoop, no more than 3), and protein should be 20g minimum as a ratio per scoop. Beware that some advertise "50g protein per serving" then you realize that a "serving" is two scoops. Trickery. It should also be about 120 - 150 calories per scoop. I like Whey Protein Isolate. Think of it this way:
    - Whey protein is like regular grade unleaded for your car, and
    - Whey Protein Isolate is like "premium" fuel for your car.

Isolate will have more protein per scoop, and will also likely be slightly higher in calories per portion as a result. It will also be a little more money.
  • TripZeros
    TripZeros Posts: 144 Member
    Options

I agree - way too much exercise. I went a boot camp run by the guy who advised for the 'biggest loser'. He said that he gets so angry when he sees very overweight people doing weights. The biggest danger is the weight itself which needs to get knocked off. My advise - knock the weight off FIRST then tone and build muscle.

Walk, walk and more walking try for at least 45mins to 1 hour a day and walk faster and faster and then uphills.

Yikes! No! Lift if you want. I think you probably are eating more than you think. Weigh your food. Try that for a month. See what happens.

^^ THIS. Don't stop lifting.... It does help you burn calories and if you like it, do it. I think you may be eating more than you realize.
  • suzi67
    suzi67 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I use a protein shake from a company called Vega. Blend it with unsweetened chocolate almond milk, and the powder itself is sweetened with Stevia. On my non strength days, I use their nutritional shake, also sweetened with Stevia and blend it with regular unsweetened almond milk. You'll get this, it all takes time. I love my strength training, keep it up!:drinker: :drinker:
  • fitmomforu
    Options
    No not breastfeeding:( but I have very low carbs I found I always felt tired after so I use carbs before my workouts, maybe increasing is a good idea to I!!
  • joan23_us
    joan23_us Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Desperate need of advise. I'm 182 pounds 5'7 and 34 years old I workout 6 days a week which I enjoy averaging 30 min cardio with a heartrate of 150. I was previously keeping heartrate about 175 but my doc said that's to high and 150 to burn fat. That's slow but I've been doing it. I eat great and sometimes slip with water intake but should be seeing results!! After cardio I always do weights for a hour. When the heck do the inches and weight come off?? Calorie intake is about 1400-1500. Advise would be great, I really want muscle mass and weight loss! Goal is 40 pounds and scale isn't budging!!! it's discouraging seeing no results and my baby is 6 months old.

1. know your body fat and lean muscle mass get a professional help for this i.e. trainer at your local gym, bodyfat caliphers, etc.

2. calculate your TDEE here http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/ choose fatloss and be CONSERVATIVE

3. set up you MFP calorie intake base on step 2

4. get rid of all the **** foods at home, throw them in the bin, no regrets....

5. start shopping healthy and nutritious foods i.e. lean meat, fish, green leafy vegetables

6. start planning your food intake ahead of time, depending on your lifestyle usually 2-3 days advance is a sound plan

7. try and hit your macronutrients based on your MFP CALORIE INTAKE as close as possible.

8. start with resistance training 3 TIMES A wEEK, doesnt have to be gym straight away... the idea is to get your metabolism going... it could be body weight pull-ups, push up, squats, etc. AND PROGRESS DEPENDING ON YOUR STRENGTH progression, when one thing gets easier progress..... you'll ultimate goal here is to be able to workout with weights focusing on proper form and technique.

9. CARDIO IS AN ADDITIONAL TOOL TO FURTHER YOUR DAILY CALORIC EXPENDITURE FOR THE DAY, to start of if you so feel like it walk with your dog at night, power walk with your partner, etc. but dont get afraid also to up the intensity if you feel like a further caloric expenditure warrants it that means you dont want to cut down too much on food to achieve a deficit so a simple cardio here and there can help with the calorie deficit you needed to lose the bodyfat.

10. Aim for a longer recovery, you being a rocker and musician im guessing you are sleeping late nights but if you can shoot for 8 hours sleep IF YOU CAN... this is actually part of a healthy lifestyle, sleeping and recovering well enough
    i
    11. GIVE YOURSELF TIME.... slow dieting is the key, if you have 40lbs. to lose understand that you wont lose it overnight, aim for 1-1.5 lbs. a week, for now put away your scale and focus on steps 5-10 in the next few months, the idea is to get control back in regards to your healthy eating habits, exercise and recovery.
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Your Max Heart Rate is 186. Your ideal range for fat burn is between 102 and 130 beats per minute. (Thus 150 is still too high.)

http://www.livestrong.com/article/208307-how-to-calculate-heart-rate-for-fat-burn/

How long have you been on your plateau?
    Do you log every single bite/nibble of food?
    What do you do for cardio?

The reason that I ask these questions is that maybe you haven't given your efforts enough time. And also maybe your overestimating how many calories that you are burning with exercise and/or underestimating how much you are actually eating.

And I disagree that you are exercising too much. I exercise every day. I run four to five times per week and practice Tae Kwon Do (which includes stretching and strength training) 4 - 5 times per week. Other than trying to achieve balance in my life, exercising every day hasn't adversely affected me at all. It, in fact, has been a God-send on many different levels.

Oh and one other thing: If this is a long-term problem, there are medical conditions such as PCOS and low thyroid that can make weight loss much more difficult.
  • fitmomforu
    Options
    I find it hard to bring heartrate down even 150. Will try harder I guess. My cardio is elliptical, running sometimes. Cardio is torture for me I find it boring but I know it needs to be done for weight loss. Nope to logging every nibble, I need to watch that!! Thanks I love working out I would never want to cut back.
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Here's a thought, now that the weather will be getting warmer (one would hope): Try running outside. And keep that heart rate down below 130bpm. When you do this, maybe you'll find that the cardio isn't as torturous. It might even be enjoyable. When I run, I check out people's yards, how they decorated their homes, their flowerbeds, say hello to people who are checking out the old lady running by their house, wave to neighbors, say hi to kids on bikes, etc. Another words, many times it's nearly a social event! And if it's just me and road, then I'm enjoying my music selection on iheart radio and just enjoying the scenery. Many times when I'm running (3/4 of the time) I have to watch my pace so that keeps my mind alert as well. Plus, - the downside of running outside -- you have to keep alert for stupid people trying to run you over with their vehicle and predators. But mostly running outside is such a joy!! See if maybe that's the ticket for you! Because if we love to do something, we're more likely to actually do it!!
  • carla113
    carla113 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    First of all - good for you! Weight lifting has been something that's been really hard for me to get into, and I applaud any woman who has taken it upon herself to get in the weight room. I would take it down to 3-4x/week, and keep the cardio mixed in there. Being honest with yourself and tracking your food (really tracking everything) is tough, but valuable. I read something from someone else on another thread that said, "If I bite it, I write it!" That's the approach I take, too.

As for that afternoon hunger, try Cocoa Roast Almonds (Emerald). They are awesome! Just make sure you stick to one serving...
  • SJ46
    SJ46 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Disregard the entire idea of working out in a fat burning zone. Your body uses different fuels concurrently, there is not a magic number where you switch to just burning fat. Google "fat burning zone myth" and you will find lots of info why this is so.

Use cardio to strengthen your cardiovascular system and to create a calorie deficit (this can be done with just your diet BTW). Maybe try incorporating some intervals in your training. Keeping your heart rate low just for the sake of staying in the "fat burn zone" isn't going to do much for your cardiovascular fitness nor will it give you much of a calorie burn.

Use strength training to maintain the muscle that you already have while you are losing weight. When losing weight you will lose both muscle and fat, you can actively try to minimize muscle loss by lifting heavy and consuming enough protein. Search the "Success Stories" section for pics of women who lifted while losing (one good one is "Halp! Heavy Lifting Made me Supah Bulky!")

I would focus on heavy lifting (sets of 5-8 reps) and I would lift before your cardio session. Here are some great tools to give you more info on weight training - New Rules of Weightlifting for Women, Starting Strength, Strong Lifts, Jamie Eason Live Fit, Women's Health Big Book of Exercises.

Hope this helps!
    SJ
  • SJ46
    SJ46 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I find it hard to bring heartrate down even 150. Will try harder I guess. My cardio is elliptical, running sometimes. Cardio is torture for me I find it boring but I know it needs to be done for weight loss. Nope to logging every nibble, I need to watch that!! Thanks I love working out I would never want to cut back.

No don't do this. Don't try to actively bring your heart rate down. Does your gym have classes you can try? I hated cardio too until I discovered that I really enjoy taking classes. Find something you enjoy. Or do HIIT, work your *kitten* off, and shorten your sessions.
  • dschassie
    dschassie Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    What's a good powder and what's the protein % I should look for?

There is quite a variety out there and so many different flavors. It might take a few tries to find what you like but most have 30 grams of protein in one scoop.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Your Max Heart Rate is 186.

According to that formula (220-age), my MHR should be 174.

It's actually 192.

There is actually no evidence that the formula is accurate:
    http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/02/10/ask-well-maximal-heart-rate/?_php=true&_type=blogs&_r=0

Researchers have developed more accurate formulas, but even so, there's so much variation between individuals that the only way to know your MHR is to have it tested.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    No don't do this. Don't try to actively bring your heart rate down. Does your gym have classes you can try? I hated cardio too until I discovered that I really enjoy taking classes. Find something you enjoy. Or do HIIT, work your *kitten* off, and shorten your sessions.

^ I agree. If you can work out at moderate intensity - the point where you can say several words, but it's hard to talk in complete sentences - you're doing well. Don't worry about your heart rate. HIIT is another possibility.
  • silken555
    silken555 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    When I don't consume enough protein in the day, I use Muscletech Performance Series powders. They are whey protein isolates and have 1-2g of carbs (depending on flavor) and 30g of protein per scoop. I buy the chocolate and vanilla ones seeing as I find them more versatile than the other flavors in terms of what to mix in them. In terms of price, they are around mid-range I'd say.

Again though, you would only need these on days you don't consume enough protein.

In terms of cardio classes, Zumba is awesome and with the right teacher SO FUN! I also do Cardio Baladi which is aerobic belly dancing, as well as Aquafit and Aquazumba. I've been told that Spinning is really fun too though I have yet to try it myself.
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    I will get there it's just a slow process.

This ^^^^^^^:drinker: