Runners: how long to de-condition after stopping?

Options
I spent 8 weeks running 4-5 days a week resulting in running 13 (ended 2 weeks ago). Since starting that training, my endurance levels have been absolutely amazing!! I feel like a beast!!

However, now I've abruptly stopped and do very little running (rather, 4 days of lifting, hiit, trail runs - not really endurance stuff), and I'll continue this way for a few months.

I wouldnt mind being able to throw in a nice 6 mile run here and there, but I don't know at what levels I'll be able to continue running (enjoyably - not a painful struggle) now that it's not a normal part of my routine.

How quickly have you all de-conditioned from running when stopping abruptly like this? Am I going to be back to huffing and puffing up the stairs within a week? :)

Replies

• runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    If I take off for a week, my legs love it. My lungs, not so much, or at least for the first run after a break. I think you should be fine based on your other workouts that you listed. Just take it slow.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    No. You lose conditioning. But not that fast, according to my experience. I am a runner and former soccer player, and I have had knee surgery, which kept me from running for many months, and I have had plantar fasciitis, which has kept me from running at various times, off and on.
    From my experience, what happens is that you just slow down a lot. You know how to run. So you can still do it. But, as you get de-conditioned, you cannot go as fast.
    I believe that there are actual charts and equations that predict how fast you lose conditioning when you do not run (or exercise). But, that doesn't really mean much. You definitely do not go back to the start because you have learned a lot about running and about enduring discomfort.
    Also, conditioning comes back much faster than it took to acquire it in the first place. I remember that the first soccer game of the season -- after having the summer off -- was always really tough. You were winded after 10 minutes. But, by the third game of the season, You were back to where you were at the end of the prior year.
    So, I would not fret too much. You'll be alright. Just be careful about injuries; your feet and legs will not be acclimated to the distances that your lungs can take you.
  • RachelRuns9
    RachelRuns9 Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    Awesome - that's exactly what I was hoping to hear. Thank you for the thoughtful reply!!
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    From my past experience of running on and off for years, if I stop running completely for months, even with other exercise, I end up almost as a beginner, regarding how my legs feel when I run again. I need at least running once a week for my body to "remember" running. This was true even when I was doing lots of aerobics. I had the stamina, I was definitely in good shape, I was good in sprints, but could not keep a steady pace for a long run, like 40-50 minutes.
  • tcatcarson
    tcatcarson Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I trained pretty hard (for me) from August 2012 to October 2013, my 40th birthday. By the end I was at the gym 3 times a week to strength train, and running 3 nights a week training for a half marathon.

Then went to New York for a week, ate and drank what I liked. Came home and didn't get back into my groove at all - the half marathon had been the target and I'd done well in that, so kind of drifted.

Enjoyed Christmas without any pangs of guilt but definitely felt myself beginning to seed. Started back in a running and lifting plan in January 2014 and felt like I was right back to square one!

So for me, 14 months of good training and progress was undone by about 10 weeks of sloth. I'm back into my routine now but it's taken another 9 or so weeks since January to get there.

The summary - don't stop!
  • RachelRuns9
    RachelRuns9 Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    oh wow, yea that's sorta what I expected. thanks!!