Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Can I "save up" calories?

So I'm under the impression that we can go by our weekly net value. My calorie goal is 1560. I've actually been lower than that all week, but I don't want to slow down my metabolism. So here is what has been going on:

Monday: 1491
Tuesday: 1002
Wednesday: 1280
Thursday: 1112

So, with that I got to today, and realized I can eat a lot to catch up. So today I had 1817 calories. And it looks like I can eat over 2000 calories on Sat and Sun to average out at 1560 for the week. That is a lot of calories! But it is okay, right, because I ate less during the week?

Replies

• dezb64
    dezb64 Posts: 109 Member
    I've done that and it does work but be careful not to go under 1200 calories too often. When I was varying my calories like that I made sure I didn't have 2 "low" or high days in a row. It keeps the body guessing and keeps up the metabolism. Also be mindful of how much protein you eat so you don't loose too much muscle along with the fat.
  • If you eat to few calories your body goes into starvation mode and the result is opposite to what your trying to accomplish. your body holds onto the calories...
  • Beet_Girl
    Beet_Girl Posts: 102
    Oh, I thought I wouldn't go into starvation mode as long as I evened out my intake by the end of the week. But even a couple days low can ruin your metabolism?
  • dellalyn
    dellalyn Posts: 41
    No - a few days will not put you in starvation mode
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    You're doing fine. You won't go into "starvation" mode (which may be a myth). A weekly average of calories is a good goal.
  • nikkihk
    nikkihk Posts: 487 Member
    If you eat to few calories your body goes into starvation mode and the result is opposite to what your trying to accomplish. your body holds onto the calories...

....Um, No.
  • nikkihk
    nikkihk Posts: 487 Member
    Oh, I thought I wouldn't go into starvation mode as long as I evened out my intake by the end of the week. But even a couple days low can ruin your metabolism?

No you'll be fine, just don't do it often and like someone else said watch your protein.
  • Yes, I imagine it'd be fine. Weight-loss is primarily working out the right numbers for you, so I would think it would even out.
    And geez, I wish I could come to one of these threads and just once not have to roll my eyes at the mention of 'starvation mode'.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    If you eat to few calories your body goes into starvation mode and the result is opposite to what your trying to accomplish. your body holds onto the calories...
    No. That takes about 4 days of not eating at all, or about a year of eating low calories.
  • Blue801
    Blue801 Posts: 442
    Personally I find it much easier to go with my weekly average rather than daily. Some days I'm just hungrier, and some days I'm barely hungry. Then there are also special birthdays and outing and such. Looking at the week as a whole helps me eliminate the urge to have cheat days. There really isn't a need when my cals are that flexible.
    :bigsmile: :drinker:
  • Beet_Girl
    So I'm seeing that I should watch my protein-does that mean a greater percentage of my calories should be coming from protein on those low days? I always thought protein wasn't a big deal and that it was easy to get enough.
  • tr66
    tr66 Posts: 23 Member
    While it sounds great, I doubt it is really that simple. Look at it from the other side. If you overate your caloric target every day, does that mean you would immediately gain that weight proportionally?
    I exercise and try to walk 10K steps each day. In doing so, I gain calories back each day. While I strive to end each day with some calories left in the bank so do speak, I do eat some of them back. That way I do not feel like I am depriving myself or losing out. What works for me is that I do have at least one day per month that I call "Christmas day" in which I do not worry about what I eat or drink. One day of indulgence serves as my reward, and more importantly, motivation to stick to my healthy eating plan.
    Results may vary and what works for me may not work for someone else, but we are all unique. Best of luck!
  • I don't think it would work for me. I try and eat under my allowed each day. If I were to 'catch' them back up, I would like it so much it would be hard for me to eat under my allowed. I like the habit of eating less, not more.
  • Beet_Girl
    While it sounds great, I doubt it is really that simple. Look at it from the other side. If you overate your caloric target every day, does that mean you would immediately gain that weight proportionally?
    I exercise and try to walk 10K steps each day. In doing so, I gain calories back each day. While I strive to end each day with some calories left in the bank so do speak, I do eat some of them back. That way I do not feel like I am depriving myself or losing out. What works for me is that I do have at least one day per month that I call "Christmas day" in which I do not worry about what I eat or drink. One day of indulgence serves as my reward, and more importantly, motivation to stick to my healthy eating plan.
    Results may vary and what works for me may not work for someone else, but we are all unique. Best of luck!

I am confused by what you mean by that it isn't that simple.

If I don't feel deprived or like I am losing out, then is there a problem? I just go with what works for that day with my workouts or whatever. I actually feel like I should then be overeating a good number of days a week as well so it evens out.
  • jmp463
    jmp463 Posts: 266 Member
    Trust me - you are in no danger of "Starvation Mode" - I am pretty sure people who are truly starving to death would do quite well on 1200 calories a day. They would be very happy.

To your point - I have done exactly as you have describe - working toward my weekly total rather than a daily total and I have lost 44lbs doing that. It works very well. It is also much easier to manage. What I try to do is build large deficits Monday - Thursday so that I can eat pretty much what I want (within reason) Friday night thru Saturday. Sunday I try to do well but at same time I dont go hungry by any means.
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Yes, you can save up calories for later use during the week.
  • Makoce
    Makoce Posts: 938 Member
    Yes! I do it all the time :)
  • Beet_Girl
    So I'm seeing that I should watch my protein-does that mean a greater percentage of my calories should be coming from protein on those low days? I always thought protein wasn't a big deal and that it was easy to get enough.

Can someone answer this?
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,566 Member

Can someone answer this?

Eat at least what your protein is set at - I like protein and I tend to eat higher than my setting (personally I think my protein setting is a little low but whatever) Protein tends to stay with me longer plus protein nutrients are good for muscle maintenance - but a balanced diet is important
  • ingoiolo
    ingoiolo Posts: 104 Member
    I would not get too hung up on numbers. Try to stay below ant treasure the days your deficit is higher as well as do not get crazy over the days when you go a bit a over

Keep enjoying your life and all that fat will melt away from you