what's 1200 cal?

Options
2»

Replies

• Sunshine2plus2
    Sunshine2plus2 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    Eating 1200 is not good period! Have you figured out your TDEE or did you just put in 2 lbs a week you want to lose and MFP set you to 1200?!! If anything at all you are to never eat less than 1200 calories net! That means you eat your exercise calories back!

I just found out my TDEE is 1779. Eating at a 500 calorie deficit is just barely above 1200 for me (1279). So? Why all the exclamation points for someone that's just asking a question about something they have seen or heard other people do?

Well because I like them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Is there a problem?!?!?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well.. if you're trying to get a point across, yes, there's a problem. Tell me, do you find it easier to comprehend something when someone is being nice and explaining things to you or when they are being rude, condescending screamers? You kind of avoided my first few sentences. Smart move on your part since it doesn't give merit to your hissy fit.

You dont know me and if you did you would know no matter what I talk about I always use exclamation points! Go ahead go serach my other post guarantee you wont find a post without one! Oh and you need to be taking your TDEE and subtract 15-20% which would actually set you up to eating 1424 thats at 20%!

Not only are you rude and bossy, you also can't do math.

Well darn, shoot me! FYI I aint rude but ok if you say so boss!
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Eating 1200 is not good period! Have you figured out your TDEE or did you just put in 2 lbs a week you want to lose and MFP set you to 1200?!! If anything at all you are to never eat less than 1200 calories net! That means you eat your exercise calories back!

I just found out my TDEE is 1779. Eating at a 500 calorie deficit is just barely above 1200 for me (1279). So? Why all the exclamation points for someone that's just asking a question about something they have seen or heard other people do?

Just to advise, usually it s-20%, not a set calorie deficit. Especially as you get closer to goal, your weight loss per week goes down.

So your deficit should really be 1423 if you are going to be doing the TDEE method (and this is assuming you picked the correct activity level).

ETA: The deficits are usually calculated 15-25%. 25% is usually for those with quite a bit to lose. Here's the numbers calculated for you if curious.

15% (suggested for those closer to goal) - 1512
    20% (a bit aggressive and usually suggested for those with a good amount to lose) - 1423
    25% (really aggressive and usually for those with A LOT to lose) - 1334
  • Eating 1200 is not good period! Have you figured out your TDEE or did you just put in 2 lbs a week you want to lose and MFP set you to 1200?!! If anything at all you are to never eat less than 1200 calories net! That means you eat your exercise calories back!

Well because I like them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Is there a problem?!?!?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well.. if you're trying to get a point across, yes, there's a problem. Tell me, do you find it easier to comprehend something when someone is being nice and explaining things to you or when they are being rude, condescending screamers? You kind of avoided my first few sentences. Smart move on your part since it doesn't give merit to your hissy fit.

You dont know me and if you did you would know no matter what I talk about I always use exclamation points! Go ahead go serach my other post guarantee you wont find a post without one! Oh and you need to be taking your TDEE and subtract 15-20% which would actually set you up to eating 1424 thats at 20%!

I propose a Time Out for this lady....Just Sayin'...Let's just all get along and play some Donkey Kong! :drinker:
  • Sunshine2plus2
    Sunshine2plus2 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options

I propose a Time Out for this lady....Just Sayin'...Let's just all get along and play some Donkey Kong! :drinker:

I dont want a time out! Boohoo! I am in for donkey kong! lol No really I aint mad or rude! Just stating my opinion could really careless what others what to do! lol
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    What's TDEE??? Yikes, I need more help than I thought!

You sound like a perfect candidate for Adopt-a-Noob. Check this thread....

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1161976-adopt-a-noob-official-mfp-thread

Many very experienced MFP's are willing to mentor noobies... just because they know what it was like when they first got here.

Read the first post in the thread. There are quite a few mentors who have offered services, fairly recently, so you could start from the last page of the thread, if you wanted, to find someone who might be suitable for you. It's your obligation to find possible mentors from the thread.... ( there's also an updated list in the first post ) and PM them. Don't just post in the thread that you'd like a mentor. That's not how it works.

And this, if no one has posted it yet.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants?hl=sexypants
  • PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    Options
    For me, I shoot for a net of 1200 cal. So I actually eat about 1500-2000, depending on my exercise.
  • susie3g
    susie3g Posts: 267
    Options

Just to advise, usually it s-20%, not a set calorie deficit. Especially as you get closer to goal, your weight loss per week goes down.

So your deficit should really be 1423 if you are going to be doing the TDEE method (and this is assuming you picked the correct activity level).

ETA: The deficits are usually calculated 15-25%. 25% is usually for those with quite a bit to lose. Here's the numbers calculated for you if curious.

20% (a bit aggressive and usually suggested for those with a good amount to lose) - 1423

I'm nowhere near close to goal. Started at 200, now at 188, and goal is 125. So, in your opinion, and I realize people have differing opinions, what is your suggestion if I were to do the TDEE method now that you know those stats? MFP has me set at 1360 just to lose 1 pound a week.
  • PikaKnight
    Options

I'm nowhere near close to goal. Started at 200, now at 188, and goal is 125. So, in your opinion, and I realize people have differing opinions, what is your suggestion if I were to do the TDEE method now that you know those stats? MFP has me set at 1360 just to lose 1 pound a week.

1360 is fine if you want to follow MFP. Just remember that MFP and TDEE are two separate methods (as I said in an earlier post). With MFP, you'd be eating back your exercise calories.

And for TDEE...what activity level are you choosing? It sounds like sedentary/no exercise. Are you actually not exercising? If you aren't, then I'd say go with the 15% or 20% amounts listed above if you decide to do the TDEE method and not MFP's.
  • susie3g
    Options

1360 is fine if you want to follow MFP. Just remember that MFP and TDEE are two separate methods (as I said in an earlier post). With MFP, you'd be eating back your exercise calories.

And for TDEE...what activity level are you choosing? It sounds like sedentary/no exercise. Are you actually not exercising? If you aren't, then I'd say go with the 15% or 20% amounts listed above if you decide to do the TDEE method and not MFP's.

Yes, I'm aware they are two different methods. TDEE method is something I just newly found out about and was considering. I did choose sedentary/no exercise. I was exercising maybe 15 -20 minutes about 3 days a week, but I'm somewhat limited on what I can do due to an old shoulder injury and bad knees. Now my feet hurt when they hit the floor, so I haven't been exercising at all. So haven't been having any exercise calorie to eat back anyway.
  • Wandering_1
    Wandering_1 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Change your name sunshine because you sure don't spread it! :noway:
  • PikaKnight
    Options

Yes, I'm aware they are two different methods. TDEE method is something I just newly found out about and was considering. I did choose sedentary/no exercise. I was exercising maybe 15 -20 minutes about 3 days a week, but I'm somewhat limited on what I can do due to an old shoulder injury and bad knees. Now my feet hurt when they hit the floor, so I haven't been exercising at all. So haven't been having any exercise calorie to eat back anyway.

The you aren't sedentary. It's important to pick the right activity level. Depending on what you are looking at, you should be picking lightly active.

Whichever method you pick, stick with it for 6-8 weeks before making any changes (if any are needed).
  • susie3g
    Options

[/quote]

The you aren't sedentary. It's important to pick the right activity level. Depending on what you are looking at, you should be picking lightly active.

Whichever method you pick, stick with it for 6-8 weeks before making any changes (if any are needed).
    [/quote]

Thanks for your thorough explanation. :)
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options

I am in the same boat as you with my TDEE, because I am over 65 and just under 5 feet tall. I eat around 1200 calories. Some days it is a bit under, because I have a whole foods based diet, which allows me a greater volume of food than a more processed diet and some days I eat most of my exercise calories, which I usually don't, because MFP's calories burnt are notoriously unreliable. I have however lost almost 50 pounds in the last ten month and plan to keep on doing what I am until I need to make adjustments.
    I do not listen to people who make blanket statements, and give orders like " That means you eat your exercise calories back! ". I agree that for the statistically average person 1200 calories are not enough, but we are not all average ( which would mean that women ought to be at least 5'4" tall )....some of us are just short and old(er)....:o) and therefore need less calories.
  • landshark928
    Options
    The 1200 calorie guideline is a pretty arbitrary number. The 1200 calorie limit is the same for man, women, big, small, etc.. It takes many, many days, no weeks of prolonged deficits below 1200 calories for your body to go into "starvation mode" The main issue with super low calorie levels is nutrients, not calories so much. Please tell me how someone that is 95 pounds and 5'1 has the same 1200 calorie limit as someone that is 350 pounds and 6'1. The only real study of the "Starvation Mode" was completed on healthy males that were already low in body fat. It took them weeks to see their BMR slow down. Even then they lost weight faster than if they increased calories. The rate of loss as a percentage went down, however the total weight loss continued. The whole eat more to loose more is flat out against the laws of physics. Calories in - Colories burned = Net weight gain or loss.

Once you have comsumed enough food to gain the nutrients needed, additional exercise does not need to be "eaten back". For many 1200 colories may represent the minimum needed to gain proper nutrients. Others it may be 1500, others 1000. However if I consume 1800 calories and then burn 1500 in workout, I am not going to eat another 1500 calories. I am going to bank it and loose faster.

My first 4 months I had many, many days with a total net of -1000 or more calories. I lost 3.5 to 4 pounds a week. Felt better than I ever had. I had to stop workouts for the last 3 weeks due to an unrelated injury. I start back up tomorrow. I have another 20 pounds to go. I will continue to eat my MFP goal of 1850 calories, but I will not eat back my 1200-1500 calorie workouts as well.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options

I dont want a time out! Boohoo! I am in for donkey kong! lol No really I aint mad or rude! Just stating my opinion could really careless what others what to do! lol
    noSCLAMATION