WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH 2014

Options

Replies

• tiarapants
    tiarapants Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Hello my friends - Happy March!

I've just put a photo of my beautiful new miracle granddaughter who was born at 1:00 am yesterday. Her name is Elli and she is just perfect. My daughter had her naturally and did incredibly well, although she says she feels like a train wreck right now.

I am flying over to Germany on Friday to get cuddles, until then I will have to make do with facetime. Besotted already!

Will catch up with you all later.

Love to all.
    Amanda (from cloud nine, London) xx
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,358 Member
    Options
    Happy March everyone!
    The sun is shining on the frost in the field. My mini irises are making a splash of purple on the patio. Spring!
    I love turning a new page on the calendar. We have one on the wall that is vintage railway posters with advertisements for different places to visit. February was Oxford; I haven't looked at March yet.:happy:

Had a lot of trouble getting to sleep last night. My cystitis is still niggling on, despite the antibiotics. I think they must be the wrong ones. Back to the surgery on Monday.:sad: I used the Pot Cit sachets (yes Meg) pain killers and finally got to sleep at gone 2 am.

Otherwise I have again done over 500 exercise this morning. I have stepped up the cardio to 430 cals and then do 20 minutes strength training, some of which is more yoga-ish. A reminder to the older ladies on this thread, it is very important to practise your balance as youu get older. Standing on one leg also strengthens the bones. I do a couple of minutes a day of various poses.

Going to put some music on my phone today. Have got Amazon, but it uses up too much memory and data. I need to put some on the storage card.

Some of you may remember my story of DDIL who arrived all traumatised on Valentines Day, having driven through the flood with her babies in the car. There was an article in the Parish Magazine this month by the headmistress of our village school, describing that very flood at the moment DDIL was driving through it. They had to shut the school early and sandbag the doors and carry the children over the flood to the parents. She said the bow waves from the cars were threstening to overwhelm the defences! ! ! ! ! I took a photo of the paragraph with my new phone and emailed it it to DDIL. She said it made her smile!

My Feb goals were:
    Lose 1lb. ●■●■ no. Put on one.:sad:
    Do more knee exercises and use my strength bands.○●○● partly. Did knee exercises, but not with the bands.
    Try a new recipe from the Hairy Dieters. ☆☆☆☆ yes! Great success with the Lamb Tagine! :bigsmile:
    Make progress on my memoir, ■●■● no. What happened there? I think I knew I was going to have to grapple with a difficult subject so ground to a halt.
    Do meditation, visualizations and lovingkindness ☆★☆★☆☆☆ yes, quite a bit, especially in the middle of the night! :wink:

MARCH GOALS:
    Lose 1lb - I would like it gone by the time I go to Glasgow in 2 weeks time. Then I'm back to my lowest achieved weight so far snd can think about where to settle for goal.
    Knee exercises - set up the bands in the kitchen round a chair and USE THEM.:laugh:
    Resume writing my memoir. JUST DO IT!
    Carry on with my meditations.

Most importantly all these things depend on my mantra, DON'T LET THE PERFECT BE THE ENEMY OF THE GOOD. (attributed to Voltaire by The Happiness Project)
    I have been derailed on that this week, by obsessing about being perfect with my phone. :happy: :blushing: :ohwell:
    Getting it into perspective now.

Ok girls, have a good March and stay warm. Hope those colds go away. May you and your loved ones be healthy.

Heather in sunny and beautiful Hampshire UK

Amanda ! ! ! ! ! ! How wonderful! Aaaaahhhhhhh!
  • jayagyan
    jayagyan Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi .... I am jaya from hyderabad, India , 52 yr Started posting only recently. Lost about 10kgs( i.e 20 lbs ) since august 2013.
    Love to join this group.
    Need to lose another 10lbs.
    Summer has started here.
    I know it is cold in most places in US.
    We had some amazing weather here this winter.
    Like one in florida.
    By the way my daughter is in Florida.
    Hope to keep in touch with all of you.
    Wishing you all a Merry March...:flowerforyou: :happy:
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,806 Member
    Options
    welcome -jaya~ you will enjoy our group.... lots of wonderful loving ladies to help you with your journey...
    well off to get myself ready for work .. enjoy your day:flowerforyou: :heart:
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Good morning!

Barbie......Thanks once again for keeping this thread alive!

Amanda..........Beautiful, beautiful baby! Congratulations to all.

Jane.........Add my wishes that you feel better soon; this HAS been dragging you down for way too long.

Awake since 3:40 but did sleep really well for a few hours; I'll take it. Doing laundry. Birds fed. Brought in newspaper; sky is getting lighter in the east. Should be warmer today; I think the high yesterday was 29 (again).

Picked up Gwen early yesterday to have blood work drawn........she had already eaten, after being reminded several times not to; they drew the blood anyway. I guess I should have stayed over to make sure she didn't eat.

DD is talking about going home to the Boston, Ma. area with a friend for spring break.........this girls family is deep into the horse scene, should be right up DD's alley..........although I did tease her a bit that most kids go SOUTH for spring break....lol. I think she just needs to get totally away and it will do her good. She seemed surprised that I wasn't trying to talk her out of it.........you never know with kids; maybe that's what she wanted me to do???

I did something for me yesterday; after I left Gwen, I got a manicure and 1 hr. massage, then went (by myself) to my favorite Thai place---Tom yum soup, a garlic beef dish, and mango sticky rice......and ate very carefully for the rest of the day! It was lovely, no pressure to make conversation, even with someone I would be happy to be with.........I go to movies alone too.......and have run into people who think it's very odd to do this.........maybe it comes from being an only child........I've never minded being alone socially...........or all the time DH spent away when he was military.

Take care, those of you with bad weather; especially those in the path of "Titian". Time to read the paper and get ready to go to the gym for tai chi and yoga.

Best to all!!!
    yanniejannie
    mid-Atlantic
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Good morning beautiful ladies:flowerforyou:

Barbie:smile: Thank you for keeping us going:flowerforyou: !!! And thank you for the recommendation of the yoga DVD:bigsmile: !

Amanda:smile: What a beautiful baby girl :love: :heart: !!!!! Congrats to you and your daughter:flowerforyou: !!!!

Joyce:smile: Your car stories are cracking me up:laugh: !

Heather:smile: Sure hope you feel better soon:flowerforyou: !

Alison:smile: Make this the month you get back to taking care of you:flowerforyou: !!!

Yanniejannie:smile: Did you see the beautiful sunset yesterday? Gorgeous pink, purple, and orange:love: !!! Good for you taking care of yourself and getting a mani and massage:love: ! I have no problem going out to eat by myself either, however I never end up being alone very long:ohwell: , someone I know usually pops in or the staff pops over to have a chat:laugh: . I`m not a big movie fan, but my best friend goes to the movies by herself all the time too.

Welcome to all the new ladies:flowerforyou: !!! Come in often and chat! This is the best thread on MFP, no judgment just encouragement :heart: !

Have a wonderful Saturday!!! Drink your water:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: and log your food!

DeeDee in NC
  • yoyonomore55
    yoyonomore55 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Amanda= Your new GD is beautiful!! Glad you are able to see her Friday.

Deb A in CNY
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Hey. :flowerforyou:

Cynthia
  • nccarolb
    nccarolb Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Popping in to save my spot. Hope to be back later...
  • Anamika703
    Anamika703 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Jaya from Hyderabad Welcome
    Amanda your GD is a doll
    Anamika from Mumbai
  • LizPlus
    LizPlus Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Good March 1st. Ladies :smile: ;

I come to believe winter is here to stay :sad: ..and the cold :grumble: ...still wearing multiple clothing to stay warm when I go out....give me a few more months and I will complain about the heat :noway: ....I am still having the dizzy spells...know now that it is my blood pressure going low....might need to wear a BP cuff for a day to see how many times a day it drops..going to have an EKG done just as a precaution where so many in my family had died from major hear attacks....mom at 57...youngest was 47.....:cry: My Dr. wants me to go outside a bit each day even if it is to go outside on the steps....that is my thing that she wants before I go back again.....
    I can go out to the stores when needed or to my Dr's....but these last couple of years ( about 4) I find it hard to go for a walk outside...I get very nervous...so I am going to work on that this summer :frown:

Deb;..I hope your sinus infection and bronchitis goes away soon...when my sinuses act off it goes into my face and around my eyes...no fun I know :noway:

Eileen;.. A new GS..congratulations!!!!:happy:

Patriciah62;.. Welcome to the group..the ladies here are exceptionally supportive..:happy: ....so sorry about your mom mine died 35 yrs. ago...still hurts though....as for losing weight ....try to take it one day at a time...you will succeed..:smile:

Susan Dallas;.. Welcome!!! Congrats on losing 63lbs..wow!!!! Good for you :happy:

Joyce;.. Funny car story....There was a time many years ago when I was coming home from grocery shopping...I was backing the car up to our little porch on the house..well my foot slipped off the pedal..when I put it back on I accidentally slammed it down....my little porch got even smaller....took half the side off :noway: :noway: ...not a good day!

Katla;..Good goal..it is a positive one for sure :happy:

Christschild;.. Happy Birthday...love to hear good news...

Grandmallie;.. I know the sad feeling of trying on things and they do not fit..I have a pair of jeans that is my goal...got a ways to go for sure :frown: I am like you and have a sweet problem..is there a sugar anonymous... I need to join :grumble:

Amanda;...Your new GD is beautiful...snuggles in the future :happy:

Heather;..If I tried to stand on one leg..welllllllll lets just say the fall would not be pretty :ohwell:

Jayagyan;..Welcome to the group!!! Congrats on losing 20 lbs!!!:happy:

Yanniejannie;.. Wow!!! You got a days work done before the sun even come up....sleep is still staying away...that sucks!! Fantastic..you treated yourself...Good for you :happy: :happy:

Well I must go and start my day...I don't know yet what my goal for this month will be..haven't managed to do any month goal yet :frown: :frown: :embarassed: ..will think on it ...

Happy Weekend All!! :flowerforyou:
    Liz ..fr Halifax Nova Scotia
  • DeeDeeLHF
    DeeDeeLHF Posts: 2,301 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the many welcomes! I am so impressed with how much weight you ladies have lost and kept off!! It will take me a bit to get to know all of you, so forgive me for not replying individually. I will read and cheer you on!

Feel free to send me friend requests so that you can see pics and read my stuff. I seldom reply on the news feed. In fact, I have most of my stuff turned off so you cannot even see what I am doing. I feel guilty when days go by without being able to cheer-lead, but that is my life right now. I try to stay committed to my exercise and eating healthy but sometimes there are stretches when i just cannot be on the computer a lot and so do better with a few friends that know what is happening in my life.

Make the most of this cold weekend!

D
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Alison: I’m sorry to hear your new pants are snug, but it is a good thing if they get you back on track. Good luck meeting your March goals. Playing with puppies is bound to improve your day.:flowerforyou:

Amanda: Congratulations on your new granddaughter! She’s a beauty. It sounds as though your daughter went through the birthing process very well. Yay! Enjoy your visit.:flowerforyou:

Jayagyn: from Hyderabad, India: Welcome! I hope you will post regularly.:flowerforyou:

Yanniejannie: I’m so glad to hear you treated yourself to a manicure, massage and meal at your favorite Thai place. We all need to do something nice for ourselves on a regular basis, but often neglect ourselves.:drinker:

LizPlus from Halifax Nova Scotia: I’ve been dizzy from standing up too quickly many times, especially when I was younger. It usually clears up for me within a second or two. Walking outside is wonderful for the body and soul. I think you’ve chosen an excellent goal, or perhaps your doctor has chosen it for you. I hope the weather will cooperate.:flowerforyou:

DH wants to go look at motor homes today, and has already dressed for the day. He’s looking good, and I’m still in my jammies. Good news on the RV “issue.” He’s made an appointment to have his eyes examined and get a referral to Oregon Health Sciences University for any needed adaptive assistance. He finally gets it, and understands that I don’t want to be the only driver of a giant RV, and also don’t want to ride along with someone who can’t see well enough. Our son helped us clarify that whole issue by bringing up legal liability as an issue. I’m so glad he’s back from deployment.:bigsmile: :flowerforyou:

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

March goals:

1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Move more: cardio at least 3 days a week and strength training as soon as I am able.
    3. Fnd a way to have fun at least once every day.
    4. Water: According to an article I saw on facebook, drinking water at certain times maximizes its effectiveness for the body. I’ll work toward following these guidelines:
    * 2 glasses of water after waking up - helps activate internal organs
    * 1 glass of water 30 minutes before a meal - helps digestion
    * 1 glass of water before taking a bath - helps lower blood pressure
    * 1 glass of water before going to bed - avoids stroke or heart attack
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,777 Member
    Options
    Good Morning Ladies!

So, so glad February is over! Yay for March!

Did not have any February Goals.
    March Goals:
    1. Exercise EVERY day
    2. Log EVERYTHING ever day
    3. Plan meals a week in advance ... working on that right now for this week
    4. Stay within my calorie budget EVERY day.
    5. Lose 4 pounds
    6. And because life has been difficult lately, naming at least 5 things I'm thankful for/happy about EVERY day!

Have a great weekend!
    Beth in WNY
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    Good morn,all. Going thru a head cold with a bad sore throat.DD stopped by to see if I needed anything,even tho she knows better. We still keep way to many groceries & DH is the best helper I could ever wish for.He doesn't enjoy grocery shopping,but does his best.He is great at keeping the house neat & clean.All I am doing is dozing taking meds & using lots of Kleenex:grumble:

Ohio looks to be in the sights of the new storm heading East.We have the fireplace to keep us warm if needed.Surely it will be the last winter storm? I'm not taking any bets tho:bigsmile:

Katla,one yr we were on our way to South Tx with our RV for the winter,stopped for a sandwich,when a couple from up North pulled in towing a 40' 5 th wh trailer.They were nearly 70....as he mentioned to DH. Then he said "I'm legally blind" Talk about shock! :noway:
    Nice to meet the newbies & good luck to all the losers. Pat in Ohio
    Alison: I’m sorry to hear your new pants are snug, but it is a good thing if they get you back on track. Good luck meeting your March goals. Playing with puppies is bound to improve your day.:flowerforyou:

Amanda: Congratulations on your new granddaughter! She’s a beauty. It sounds as though your daughter went through the birthing process very well. Yay! Enjoy your visit.:flowerforyou:

Jayagyn: from Hyderabad, India: Welcome! I hope you will post regularly.:flowerforyou:

Yanniejannie: I’m so glad to hear you treated yourself to a manicure, massage and meal at your favorite Thai place. We all need to do something nice for ourselves on a regular basis, but often neglect ourselves.:drinker:

LizPlus from Halifax Nova Scotia: I’ve been dizzy from standing up too quickly many times, especially when I was younger. It usually clears up for me within a second or two. Walking outside is wonderful for the body and soul. I think you’ve chosen an excellent goal, or perhaps your doctor has chosen it for you. I hope the weather will cooperate.:flowerforyou:

DH wants to go look at motor homes today, and has already dressed for the day. He’s looking good, and I’m still in my jammies. Good news on the RV “issue.” He’s made an appointment to have his eyes examined and get a referral to Oregon Health Sciences University for any needed adaptive assistance. He finally gets it, and understands that I don’t want to be the only driver of a giant RV, and also don’t want to ride along with someone who can’t see well enough. Our son helped us clarify that whole issue by bringing up legal liability as an issue. I’m so glad he’s back from deployment.:bigsmile: :flowerforyou:

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

March goals:

1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Move more: cardio at least 3 days a week and strength training as soon as I am able.
    3. Fnd a way to have fun at least once every day.
    4. Water: According to an article I saw on facebook, drinking water at certain times maximizes its effectiveness for the body. I’ll work toward following these guidelines:
    * 2 glasses of water after waking up - helps activate internal organs
    * 1 glass of water 30 minutes before a meal - helps digestion
    * 1 glass of water before taking a bath - helps lower blood pressure
    * 1 glass of water before going to bed - avoids stroke or heart attack
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,887 Member
    Options
    Hello to all: Welcome to the newbies!! My goal for February was to average 6000 steps per day and I have done that so my new goal for March is going to be 7500 steps per day on my Fitbit. I started with weights again in February but had to back way off on the weight because of last summer's shoulder injury. I feel stronger now and my March goal will be to move each machine up one weight plate. I need to continue with retirement preparations at work and not procrastinate. It is coming up fast. I will eat at least one anti-inflammatory food per day and try to limit sweet treats to one serving per day.

Amanda - Congrats on the new grandbaby. Glad you get to see her soon.

Allison - You my dear have had a rough start to the new year. Time to take care of you. Enjoy that massage!!!

Healing angels to all who need them and congratulations to those with victories. Sue in SD
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Happy March 1st.
    Congrat`s Amanda,she`s beautiful:drinker: :drinker:
    Back to dr with hubby.His eyes are swollen and sore throat along with the sinus infection:cry: .Daughter is back to normal.:smile:
    I`m feeling better,just a head cold now.Thanks for the well wishes.:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
    Have a good day.
    HUGS:heart::heart: :heart:
    jane
  • Sandil964
    Options
    All you ladies give me so much inspiration to keep going and stay on goal. I know it's never too late to improve oneself, in all ways; physically, spiritually, and emotionally. One day at a time... I will keep going.
    :flowerforyou: :love: :bigsmile:
  • Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    Granmallie - try Chromium to curb sugar cravings. It works for me. I cannot have any added sugar...it makes my arthritis hurt and gives me a brain fog.
  • Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    Opps! Forgot to introduce myself - I was so busy reading through all the great posts.

I am Lily - (54 ...soon to be 55 and should think about retiring but...) ..from West Central Saskatchewan where this a.m. it is -37 C with a wind chill of -48 C. Nope - not going outside! Goodness my dog won't even come out of his doghouse!!

I am on a restricted diet.... Yeast really bothers me and it is in a lot of foods so I have to watch what I eat. Lots of vegetables on the menu. Down 30 lbs so far and have about 15 to go.

Two lovely little grandkids 6 mos and 7 mos old.

Goals - be a Better example at my TOPS chapter.
    - Do all my physio exercises every day
    - took on the 100 miles challenge here - so 3.5 miles per day (inside with Leslie Sansone)
    - log my food
    - only eat one serving of almonds per day.