Question about setting goals

Options
Hi..I have been logging daily and trying to stick to the calories and macros set by MFP. Today I did the calculator on both IIFYM and Scooby and both were pretty much the same. I need to try to up my calories from 1,200 to 1,466 to lose 1 lb per week. I need to keep my carbs and sugar a bit low as I was diagnosed with pre-diabetes and high blood pressure...both of which runs in my family. I set my macros as 40% protein, 30% carbs and 30% fat. I work out 5-6 days per week...low impact cardio and strength training, pilates, power walk videos, etc. Since I changed my goals in MFP, and my new "goals" already accounts for working out, I don't want MFP to calculate my goals higher than I have set, but I want to log my workouts so I can keep track of which workouts I am doing. Is there a way to log workouts without MFP automatically adjusting the goals?
Also...I do not like to eat too much processed food as I have to keep my sodium under 1500 mgs and my carbs no higher than 110 grams daily...(numbers my doctor recommended to avoid diabetes and having to go on blood pressure meds) but I am having a hard time creating meals that meet my caloric and protein goals without going OVER the carbs and sodium. Any advice on foods I can add? I am 5'4 and currently weigh 158. Thanks for any help/advice.

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    When you log your workouts, you can change it to 1 calorie burned. Also, if you are prediabetic, I would consider lowering your carbs even more. Eating stuff like meats, fish, eggs, dairy, legumes/nuts and veggies, you should do fairly well. So for the most part, limit bread, rice and starchy veggies. I also have found that prelogging calories to be very beneficial since I follow IIFYMs.

Below is what you can click on to change your settings for calories and macros

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/change_goals_custom

ps- if you want a 110g of carbs, your macros should be 30% carbs, 40% protein and 30% fats (although you could add more fats instead of protein.
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    I have been struggling to meet my macros but have had better luck if I prelog and then start with protein first. Since I've started doing that, I've come much closer to meeting my goal.

I glanced at your diary and found a couple of easy things to change around to help.

For breakfast, if you'll go with eggs instead of grapefruit or muesli, that'll start your day off right. Add in a bit of cheese and turkey, some veggies and have a great omelet along with a jump on your protein.

Also, if you have access to sweet potatoes instead of yams, the sweet potato is lower in calories and carbs while being a bit higher in protein.
  • caveninit
    caveninit Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. Much appreciated!