Body changes while in maintenance?

Options
Hi everyone,

I apologize if this topic has been done before. I did a search and had some vague results, but wanted a more specific answer :)

I am approaching maintenance (my deficit is only 125 cals per day, have been bumping it up gradually to make it easier to adapt and find an accurate maintenance figure) and I am wondering, have any of you noticed changes in your body even after maintenance mode? Technically, if you yours calories are accurate, your weight should stay pretty much the same (aside from normal fluctuations, of course) but with consistent exercise, do things still shift around and tighten up?

I do cardio a couple of days a week and a progressive body weight routine 3 days a week (plus light stuff like walking and hula hooping, but that's just to burn a little extra, I don't expect to see much change from that alone). I am pretty happy with the way I look, but if I continue to see changes with regard to how lean I am, that would be a great thing. However, not sure what to expect.

Thanks!

Replies

• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I think the loose skin on my abdomen has tightened a bit and I have gotten slightly leaner but more muscular (a bit of recomp going on). I've basically been in maintenance since August, started heavy lifting a few months ago. I don't count my calories anymore, just watch the scales and how my clothes fit. My weight has fluctuated a bit, anywhere from 110-115, but my clothes still fit, so I'm ok with it. Basically, if I hit 110, I know I need to eat like a beast, hit 115 or my pants are tight, cut a little. That's it:)
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,871 Member
    Options
    I have been on maintenance for about a year. My body hasn't changed except for where I have worked to push it with exercise.

I have found that maintenance is about going by how you feel. Not everyday is the same. If you feel truly hungry, eat. There are no two days alike and we must relearn to recognize calorie deficits. One of the good things about being at goal is that we are living in a buffer. We won't gain 25 lbs. from one bad meal or day. It's the daily slip (oh, it won't matter) that adds up over time.
  • MACnificence
    MACnificence Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Bump , wondering the same thing .. I hear some people say their body composition continues to change even though the scale weight doesn't
  • ucabucca
    ucabucca Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I started in a maintane on weight but most definately my body has been changing as I have been able to increase exercse and strength training and with time things have and I am sure will continue to shft with musclle definition and focus on different parts of the body. I think it happens gradually depending on what your focus is and will be and what actiities and stress comes your way. It is a ll a proccess always changing never staying 100% the same Enjoy it and if you find you don't like something tweek it in your actvity level or choices
  • cathylopez1975
    cathylopez1975 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I have been the same weight for several months and I haven't really been exercising. I hate the winter (cold and gloomy) so pretty much hibernate. I decided that I'd just maintain for the time being (Only 10 lbs. to go). But I must say, my body has continued to 'contract'. I am down a size in pants and tops, and even need a smaller bra. I plan to pick up the cardio and resistance training at my neighborhood gym when I have spring break from school. We'll see what happens then.
  • ChrisS30V
    ChrisS30V Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I've experienced quite a bit of change while in maintenance. Since I officially stopped losing weight and started eating at maintenance level 9 months ago, I have lost around 3" from my waist on top of what was lost while I was in my weight loss phase. The tiny bit of loose skin around my pecs (I'm a guy) has tightened up quite nicely as well.

Overall, I've actually become leaner looking while maintaining, so much so that people will ask if I've started lifting heavy weights (muscles becoming more visible) or if I'm still losing weight (because I look leaner). All this while the scale has stalled and I usually trend above the weight I stopped losing at. I haven't done anything special, I run 4 days a week alongside light resistance training.

One you start eating at maintenance keep trucking along at whatever exercise you're doing and you will continue to see results. Hold body measurements or fitness accomplishments in higher regard than weight, although it's good to keep track of it every now and again just to ensure you aren't gaining or losing.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Your body continues to react to stimulus - so if you are eating right and training right you will change.
    Don't expect it to be dramatic or fast so measurements and progress photos help.

I got to maintenance last August and since then I've got fitter and stronger. Lost some body fat, gained some lean mass. Legs and arms are slightly bigger and leaner with more definition, lost fat from my chest and added size to my lats.

At my age it takes a while for your skin to catch up but that shouldn't be a problem for a youngster!
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,039 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. continues to tighten up -- I am about 2 years since I hit goal. My body continues to grow stronger and tighter. Also, I have to watch and make sure I eat enough protein - macros are really important at goal for me.
  • MildredBarhopper
    MildredBarhopper Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    These are awesome answers, guys! Thanks a lot, really informative. I don't imagine i have much, if any, loose skin as I have only lost about 20 pounds (maybe a bit more now, I only weigh myself once a month). I was never overweight, but still in the upper range of what my weight should be for my height (I know weight alone isn't a good indicator, but I wasn't totally loving how I looked or felt, either). My focus has been getting more fit, which I have :)

I will probably be counting for a long time just because I find the visuals of the diary to be automatic willpower. I don't necessarily stay in goal 100% of the time (special occasions, etc) but it really keeps me on track. On vacations when I take a break from counting, I just tend eat a lot more than I should. Anyway, I think because I am doing a body weight program, I will continue to see some results like you guys have, and I know to expect weight fluctuations because they are normal and I won't freak out.

I really like this place, haven't posted a lot in the past year but I am definitely getting more into the community as it has a lot of helpful tips and motivation.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I haven't lost any weight in maintenance and don't exercise much. I have made an effort to walk more, use a standing desk, and sit on a Pilates ball to increase core muscles improve posture (I highly recommend this).

I've lost 2" on my waist and an inch on my hips. My bust has filled out again and my skin has better tone.