Net Cal/TDEE question

Options
I was wondering a little about the TDee and Net cal and eat back stuff. I was wondering, does anyone subtract their TDEE from their workout calories. For example my Tdee is usually around 2200 a day. So on average I burn 90 calories an hour. So If I go hike and burn 359 calories in an hour, shouldn't I subtract that 90 calories because it is already calculated in my Tdee and not part of what I want to eat back for exercise? I was wondering about this for when I start doing really long hikes. Anyone else think of this or do this?

Replies

• catfive1
    catfive1 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    When using the TDEE method you do not eat back exercise calories.
  • sarahg148
    sarahg148 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I've actually thought about that, too. But I don't eat back all of my calories so it doesn't really matter. I had my RMR tested and it was 1860 and add on about 500 for every day activity. So I just eat about 2000 cal/day even if I exercise. I want to lose fat and gain some muscle, so I'm giving this about 3 months to see where I get. If I'm not progressing then I'll mix it up. Maybe only eat half or 3/4 of your exercise calories and see how that works for you. Good luck!
  • Aeramis13
    Aeramis13 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I made up my own version of the TDEE/MFP thing. It works for ME. YMMV (your mileage may vary.)

Based on my current weight and my weight loss goals, MFP puts me at 1200 calories per day, which is not enough for me to feel full, generally, especially when you consider my fitness goals - I'd like to be one helluva bad *kitten*! Eating back some percentage of exercise calories is fine, but on my 1-2 rest days, I feel like I'm starving on that 1200 calories.

To counteract that issue, I used 4 TDEE calculators (i know Scooby's was one, i think another mentioned a frog, no idea what the other 2 were) and then took an average of the 4. I made sure to accurately list my general exercise practices (I work out 5-6 days a week and have since May, so it's easy to say what my general exercise amount is). Basically, I tend to burn about 500 calories in each of my workouts, so that's what I assume the "working out 5-6 days" for a "lengthy amount of time" means in all those TDEE calculators' settings.

I set my food intake to 1700 calories (right about where my average from the 4 TDEE calories fell - I'm short and while overweight, I'm in pretty good shape these days). If I burn more than 500 calories in a workout session, then I eat back half of those calories. For example, today I burned 702 calories at the gym. I ignore the first 500 calories as they're already included in my TDEE. I *choose* to each back half of the rest, so I log 101 calories of exercise in MFP.

I've been losing pretty easily as long as I stick to my calorie deficit and exercise regimen. It works for ME. May or may not work for someone else.

I'm about to switch to lifting 3 days a week & cardio 3 days a week, compared to 6 days of cardio with minor strength training, so I may learn that I have to raise or lower the calorie amount. We'll see :)
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    It works for ME. YMMV (your mileage may vary.)

it's awesome that you found something that's worked so well for you. Bravo for eating more than 1200, and listening to your body and figuring out what YOU need!
  • hawiriada
    hawiriada Posts: 1 Member
    Options
  • LissaK1981
    LissaK1981 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I figure since I have so much to lose (60-70ish) currently I was not going to bother with eating anything back until I start working out hard. The weight I have lost so far has only been through diet and mild hiking/walking on the treadmill. I was thinking when I start doing intense workouts I would up my calories and eat back maybe half after I subtract 70 calories per hour since that is worked into my food deficit. Anyone have luck doing it this way?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I figure since I have so much to lose (60-70ish) currently I was not going to bother with eating anything back until I start working out hard. The weight I have lost so far has only been through diet and mild hiking/walking on the treadmill. I was thinking when I start doing intense workouts I would up my calories and eat back maybe half after I subtract 70 calories per hour since that is worked into my food deficit. Anyone have luck doing it this way?

You still wouldn't subtract the TDEE hourly calories....you would subtract your basal calories because those would be the ones you burn just being alive and such.

Your TDEE includes all of your activity and you don't eat back exercise calories with TDEE...an estimate of that burn is included already in your activity level. If you are getting your calorie goal from MFP, your activity level does not include exercise which is why you get those calories to "eat back"...just two different ways of accounting for that activity.