Losing weight on 2,800 calories a day... what is this?!

Options

Replies

• Sjenny5891
    Sjenny5891 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Some things to think aboout....
    When was your last period? I gain 5 pounds each month bloating.
    How much of it is water retention- or lack thereof?
    When did you start bulking? The same time you started MFP? It took me two months to find the perfect number to maintain.

Like many people said..... increase your calories a little at a time until you stop losing. ( Then give yourself another 100 to gain back what you've lost. )
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the wide world of bulking, where most people underestimate their calorie needs the first time around.
  • SpecialSundae
    SpecialSundae Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the wide world of bulking, where most people underestimate their calorie needs the first time around.

I suspect that I'm very guilty of this!
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options

I suspect that I'm very guilty of this!

The biggest culprit...

See the thread right below this one. The widespread incorrect belief that strength training doesn't burn many calories.

Strength training burns A LOT of calories. Ramping up your strength training while bulking only exaggerates the issue.

The scale doesn't lie, for it to go up you have to eat to overcome your exercise calorie burns, at which point you learn all the wisdom that fat people tell each other to lose weight about exercise calorie burns (MFP overestimates, strength training doesn't burn much, only eat back half, etc...) is wrong.
  • zarrr7
    zarrr7 Posts: 5
    Options
    Thanks for the replies all :) some helpful advice!
    I've decided to cut back on the exercise, while also lowering my calories slightly, see how that goes for a few weeks and then slowly start to raise my calories from there.. I think I was doing way too much exercise. I've recently just started pre-season for soccer, add onto that weight training 5-6 times a week, and that's a ****load of calories being burned.
  • amandarunning
    amandarunning Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I've decided to cut back on the exercise, while also lowering my calories slightly, see how that goes for a few weeks and then slowly start to raise my calories from there.. I think I was doing way too much exercise. I've recently just started pre-season for soccer, add onto that weight training 5-6 times a week, and that's a ****load of calories being burned.

Surely cut back the exercise but leave the calories where they are or add some if you want to gain not lose?
  • milileitner
    milileitner Posts: 98 Member
    Options

"I'm losing weight and I want to gain. I'm going to cut calories to remedy the situation"

Did I really just read this?
  • just35lbstogo
    just35lbstogo Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Wow... this is my dream. I wish I were taller :( I love eating.
  • samaydan1093
    Options
    2800 cals. Holy crap. If I ate that in a day, by the weeks end id have gained 20 lbs. Lmao.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    z8MlwZW.png

Is it wrong I don't even know what any of that food is?
  • Lifelink
    Lifelink Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I'd really like to know what you're doing to lose weight while eating 2,800 calories a day...
  • allana1111
    allana1111 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    seriously wish this was my problem
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    I'd really like to know what you're doing to lose weight while eating 2,800 calories a day...

She's obviously a young athlete. She plays soccer, weight trains and is 20 yo. So many say well it's a nice problem to have seem to not know you do have the ability to change your metabolism. Guess what, I'm 34 to female at 5'2 and during my bulk I had this same issue. Dropping weight until I increased to over 3000. Not everyone believes in eating the bare minimum number of calories but moreso in eating more to make your body work better for you and your workouts. Train smarter, not harder.

OP-You want to bulk but just replied back you will reduce calories. This is not going to reflect the scale to go in the direction you want it.
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    Just as annoying as people complaining about not being able to eat 1200.... Actually , this is far worse... Poor you and your fantastic genetics.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Currently trying to gain weight by bulking... I'm eating 2,800 calories a day, and yet somehow I'm still losing weight... down almost 3kg in 2 weeks. What even!?!?! 2,800 is already so much food, I don't know if I can eat any more :(

That doesn't sound like a problem to me. I'm on 2500 for maintenance, but too lazy to increase my cardio to be able to eat more. I still go over 2500 on some days. I don't understand the concept of "too much food." Sorry I can't be more helpful, too jealous to try.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Just as annoying as people complaining about not being able to eat 1200.... Actually , this is far worse... Poor you and your fantastic genetics.

Yeah, it reminds me of a thread not long ago of people complaining, "I'm tired of being told I have a pretty face." Get over your lucky DNA! :laugh:
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Currently trying to gain weight by bulking... I'm eating 2,800 calories a day, and yet somehow I'm still losing weight... down almost 3kg in 2 weeks. What even!?!?! 2,800 is already so much food, I don't know if I can eat any more :(

Attempting to stop weight loss on purpose can be amusing. I'm doing the same thing. I bumped up by 200, lost a little. Bumped up by another 200. I may be actually gaining now.

Try cookies.
  • tjthegreatone
    Options
    Too jealous to help. Just about maintaining on approx 2500-2800kcal a day (notorious at underestimating) and would love to eat moooarrrr. Sadly I also work a full time job and can't physically devote any more time to exercising sob sob.
    Okay I can help. Two words - peanut butter.
    If I had my way I'd eat half a jar every day. Oh wait...
  • likitisplit
    Options

She's obviously a young athlete. She plays soccer, weight trains and is 20 yo. So many say well it's a nice problem to have seem to not know you do have the ability to change your metabolism. Guess what, I'm 34 to female at 5'2 and during my bulk I had this same issue. Dropping weight until I increased to over 3000. Not everyone believes in eating the bare minimum number of calories but moreso in eating more to make your body work better for you and your workouts. Train smarter, not harder.

OP-You want to bulk but just replied back you will reduce calories. This is not going to reflect the scale to go in the direction you want it.

This is the Gaining Weight forum. The OP is bulking to build muscle. Dropping weight when first raising calories seems to be pretty common. I'm eating north of 3000 calories myself including exercise calories (5'9" 175).

Let's be more supportive. If you are in this forum, you should realize that some people are actively trying to get bigger and understand that this can be a challenge as well.
  • likitisplit
    Options

"I'm losing weight and I want to gain. I'm going to cut calories to remedy the situation"

Did I really just read this?

She's going to cut back on the exercise as well. Bring it all into sustainable levels and then build from there. There's some sense in that.