I want to quit smoking

Options
2»

Replies

• HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    I smoke and I smoke quite a lot unfortunately, I've been wanting to quite for a while now, but working as a waitress cigarette breaks are your only chance to get 5 minutes to yourself during a busy shift. Which makes it quite hard, what would you suggest as a good way to quit? I've been miserable for quite some time and only recently have I changed my eating habits, from pretty much all junk food to a lot of healthier options, also I used to drink a lot of redbull, about 4 cans a day ( I know terrible). But I've cut all that out and have been exercising often and I can feel the change already and feel a lot happier in myself! I think quitting smoking would be that final push I need towards an altogether healthier lifestyle, but in my line of work I'm finding it so hard to do. Can anyone help?

To be honest it's a surprise I'm still standing today, I'm 21 and I used to drink heavily with my friends, I still smoke heavily and I was surviving off chips, crisps and red bull for the past 6 months, and now is the time to change!

Congrats on the decision to quit. That's the hardest part. It looks like you live in the UK. Here in the USA a lot of hospitals offer free stop-smoking programs. Look around for one and consider taking it, or pay for one if you have to do that. I quit many years ago with the help of a program and it helped make my efforts permanent. Thousands of people have quit for good -- you can too.
  • naturesfempower
    naturesfempower Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I quit using disposable e-cigs. Smoked my last pack and bought an e-cig (BLU) that lasted about 3 days. The next one lasted almost a week, and the third one lasted almost two weeks. That was the last one I bought. I am nicotine free now. I used the e-cig as a step down program for both the physical and psychological parts that go with quitting smoking. I had been a smoker for 32 years tried many methods to quit, but this is what finally worked for me.
  • DavidC1857
    DavidC1857 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I used one of these, about 4 years ago.

http://www.quitkey.com/

You can get it for about $50 on Amazon. I'm not sure about the UK though.

It's pretty simple, you pick a day to start, then smoke like normal. Every time you have a smoke, you push the little button. After a week, it starts giving you a timer. When you reach the allotted time, you go have a smoke. Over a period of 2 to 5 weeks, depending on how much you smoked, it stretches that time out little by little, tapering you off.

It might not work as well for someone who can't just stop and smoke when it's time. But I believe it allows for that.

It took me two tries, because 6 months or so after I quit I started again, and then quit again. But I think the thing did help.