Gateway to 8k, starting today

anyone want to join me? I am going to start with treadmill after work today. I finished couch to 5k so I think I should be able to do this. Hoping for some others to keep me honest.
I searched the boards but I didn't see anything recent!

Replies

• Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    I'm planning on finishing C25K within the next 2 weeks. I haven't heard of Gateway to 8k, but may have to join you when I finish up C25K!!
  • goal30Lori
    goal30Lori Posts: 307 Member
    I might give it a try! I'm still working on upping my 5k pace though - are there podcasts for the 8k program?
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    yes, there are podcasts-
    http://www.runsource.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=70&Itemid=353
    and aps.

I finished couch to 5k and wanted to improve my speed but I just need a program, so I thought I would move on to Gateway28k
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    I'm gonna have to google the 8k program. I've never heard of it.
  • twinmom_112002
    twinmom_112002 Posts: 739 Member
    Definitely going to try this. Can you use the podcast with the nike+?
  • amysj303
    I don't know about nike+ but check out the link. I made it through day one pretty easily. After couch to 5k, it was nice to walk for a minute every 7 minutes. I did that for 4 repetitions. I walked at 3.5 mph on the treadmill and jogged at 5.2, day 3 I will try 5.3 and day 3 at 5.4.
  • twinmom_112002
    I printed out the intervals and did week 1 day 1 last night. Managed to log 3.66 miles at 5.5mph.

Now I am on the fence about repeating C25K but at a faster speed or to continue the gateway to 8K at my slow speed. Opinions?
  • goal30Lori
    goal30Lori Posts: 307 Member
    twinmom - i was contemplating starting c25k again with run/run faster intervals as opposed to walk/run intervals. I feel like I should up my pace a bit before moving on to longer distance as well, but I don't know!!
  • rachel5576
    rachel5576 Posts: 429 Member
    I have 3 weeks left on the c25k then i think i'd like to give this a shot. Nice to have a goal to work towards.
  • amysj303
    I finished C25K 3 weeks ago and I wanted to improve my time but I was not sticking with it, I think I need a program, so I moved on to Gateway to 8k and I will try to inch up my speed on the running everyday.
    Goodjob, twinmom! I am not running 5.5 mph but I maybe by the end of the week!
  • shelsab
    shelsab Posts: 138 Member
    I have never heard of the program, but I am going to look it up. I just finished C25k a week or so ago and just ran my first 5k this past Sunday. It was definitely not fast! lol. I ran it in 32 mins but I was more determined to just stay at a good pace and not stop, so I am happy for myself. I am now trying to improve my speed and train for a 10k, so I am doing alot more weight training with my legs, such as squats to help build up my muscles. For the first 5k I did not do weight training for my legs, so I think it will be a good idea to start. I am going to look up this program, sounds like it would be a good idea! Thanks.
  • amysj303
    welcome, shelsab, join the Gateway:) 32 minutes is awesome, don't be discouraged by that at all. this website has http://www.runsource.net/
    Couch to 5k, Gateway to 8k and 10k and beyond so you can just keep going.
  • LaraeTX
    LaraeTX Posts: 670 Member
    I am totally in! I've been trying to do a 10k, but haven't been that motivate, hopefully this will better and I won't be so overwhelmed. I never did the C25K but did a different program i found online. I have ran 3 5k's since then and my best time is 32:58, hoping to add distance and speed. I love this, and will also add you as a friend, so you can keep me in check
  • amysj303
    sounds good, alhint, I need to be kept accountable:) you will be able to do the first week easily, I bet. If you do 5k in 33 or so minutes, that is great.
  • amysj303
    Week 1 Day 2 done. Still only went 3 miles in all that time! anyone else with me here?
  • LaraeTX
    Week 1 Day 2 done. Still only went 3 miles in all that time! anyone else with me here?

I had some roadblocks. Day 1 for me tomorrow!!
  • twinmom_112002
    I think it all depends on speed. I did it on Monday at 5.5 and logged 3.66 with my nike+. Tonight if I'm not dead for exhaustion, I am moving on to week 1, day 2. I will let you know my mileage tomorrow.
  • amysj303
    I hope it doesn't all depend on speed:) I had treadmill envy last night, the girl next to me was running at 6.5 mph and I am at 5.4. I don't know, I am not worrying about speed, I guess.
  • twinmom_112002
    LOL...I meant the distance depends on speed.

I too have treadmill envy when I see people with high speeds but then I remember that a year ago I couldn't run at any speed and it makes me happy to be plugging away at my snails pace. I am starting intervals at higher speeds in between doing the gateway to 8K so hopefully I will speed up soon.
  • LaraeTX
    Just checking in. No run for me today but I did get out there early this morning for a 3 mile walk of 52 minutes. W1D2 tomorrow! I love it and hopefully others will follow on this thread.