what am i doing wrong in your opinion?

Options
my diary has been made public so you can observe what I am not doing correctly, but here is a average day for me:

Green tea un caffeinated
Greek yogurt raspberry lite and fight
Banana
100 whole wheat slice of bread

Weight watchers jalapeño string cheese
Half of grapefruit

Grilled chicken breast
And frozen veggies
With around 3 tsp of hot sauce
Granola
Bar

Sugar free jello
2 Mandarin orange

A couple almonds
A lime before bed.

I'm usually at 9-1000 calories a day. I try to get to 600 calories at the gym. What am I Doing wrong ????

Replies

• editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    You're not eating enough. The goal is to find the maximum number of calories at which you lose weight, not the minimum.

Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    Your net calories are below 1000 almost every day. Why is that? Are you weighing your foods? Most of your fruits are logged in as "1 large" or "1 medium". That can be really inaccurate. How are you measuring your calories burned in exercise?

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

Read the entire link.
  • cheripugh1
    cheripugh1 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    You're not eating enough... you are close to goal weight for your height, when you are that close (say 50 lbs. or less) you need more calories to burn calories, sounds crazy but that's how it works. When you add in your workouts you drop even further so your body goes into fight back mode (saving/storing fat)

Try to aim for say 1400 a day, never under 1200 and see how that goes for you for a little bit. Many eat back their workout burns or at least 1/2. I do not but I have a LOT to lose.

Listen to your body it talks to you. If you gain stop and look at what you changed, if you are losing again stop and look to see what is working and remember you may have to make a few changes along the way as your body changes.

Good luck I know you can do this!!!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Yep, way too little food. It wouldn't even be enough if you didn't burn 600 calories at the gym.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing food? You have a lot of 4-oz. chicken breasts. Those are pretty small; these days a typical battery chicken breast weighs about twice that. I'm guessing you may be eating more than you think:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/872212-you-re-probably-eating-more-than-you-think

If your logging is accurate, though, you're not eating nearly enough to sustain yourself. But in that case, you should be losing weight at an unhealthy rate.

Also, how are you estimating calories burned in exercise? For me - 165 lb., 5'10" guy - 600 calories is an hour of bicycling at a pretty fast speed (16-18 mph), or a 5-mile run. You might be overestimating if you're using MFP's database.
  • PinkyFett
    PinkyFett Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    Yep, what everyone's saying. Eat more. I agree.
  • RMZ2014
    RMZ2014 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I would have to agree with everyone else. You are essentially putting your body into a starvation mode. Eating too little and believe it or not exercising too much. I ran into the same problem. I was eating 1200 calories and exercising 6 days a week. I actually had to eat more and exercise less in order to lose any weight. Super frustrating. I believe I would survive a famine, I would be cranky but I would survive.
  • ell_v131
    ell_v131 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    you need to start weighing all your food. it's quite likely your log is inaccurate cause 7 slices of something or 1 medium of another thing doesn't tell you how much of it you're really eating.

You will probably find that you are still eating too little. You need to net AT LEAST 1200, depending on your height and weight even more. I am 5'6 and I'm losing on 1700 NET.

On most days, you net about 600 (what you eat minus the exercise). This is not enough for a 10 year old and you're putting your body in jeopardy but denying it proper nutrition.

Please read the below. Do some research and find out how much you really should be eating, I have no idea how you still have the energy to work out.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/310489-the-reason-why-starving-yourself-will-not-work
  • meribethd
    meribethd Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Why are you eating so little?
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    DUH!!!!! EAT MORE!
  • Rogiefreida
    Rogiefreida Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Besides agreeing with what everyone else says, some helpful advice: you need protein. Your diet is extremely carb heavy with little protein and healthy fats. Find a way to incorporate healthy fats and protein. And some more calories.
  • jackjb2
    jackjb2 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    not eating enough need at least 1200 calories
  • RushBabe_214
    Options
    Your net calories are below 1000 almost every day. Why is that? Are you weighing your foods? Most of your fruits are logged in as "1 large" or "1 medium". That can be really inaccurate. How are you measuring your calories burned in exercise?

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

Read the entire link.

^^ This. Great link as well.

I would also add that you eat a lot of fruit and not enough protein.

Feed your body, sweetheart. :flowerforyou:
  • 19TaraLynn84
    19TaraLynn84 Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    You can eat more and still lose weight. Sounds inaccurate, I know. I thought that at first, too.

Read the link provided. It's really good!

Also, are you using a food scale? You record 4 oz of chicken. Do you actually weigh it or are you guessing? Food scales are an important tool to have. They're not hard to use at all.

And yes, protein! Boil up some eggs as a snack. Have the whole thing or just the white part. The whites are pure protein. Protein powder to make a shake or just sprinkle on your food is great, as well. There are plenty of ways to add protein to your diet.
  • TriShamelessly
    TriShamelessly Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    Another vote for eating some more food. If you want a race car body, give it enough fuel. Your tank is running on "E"!
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options

Read the entire link.

yup :ohwell:
  • dezb64
    dezb64 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone else, you are not eating enough. Add more protein and aim for at least 1400 cal.
  • Of_Monsters_and_Meat
    Of_Monsters_and_Meat Posts: 1,022 Member
    Options
    Eat more.

Also no more "low fat, no fat stuff"

You need more protein and more fat in your diet.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    Before jumping on the eat more train, I suggest you get a hold of your logging accuracy. Log accurately and weigh everything to see how much you are truly eating everyday. How do you measure your calorie burns? Also, read the link provided and all of the links in it.
  • smanning1982
    smanning1982 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I used to think how you do. I used to eat 900-1000 calories a day and would maybe lose .25 lb in a week. I was so upset. How are all these people losing weight? I found out my body was in starvation mode. I went to eating 1200 calories a day and losng a pound a week. A little better. I went to eating 1400 calories a day and I was losing 2 lbs a week every week! Tried going to 1600 cals and no weight loss. So for me, 1400 is the magic number! Eat more, try 1300 calories a day for a few weeks and see what happens!