Need a woman's opinion?

Options
Hi~ Thank you for looking at my post. Sorry if your a guy might be a little Tmi.
Here we go: My period was supposed to start the 24'th, and about a week or two before then i stopped dead in my tracks losing weight. Its not really possible for my to plateau because i am still very obese. I drink lots of water and eat the appropriate calorie intake.
I layed it out to be my period, because i found some other women having the same issue, and after there period ended they lost the weight. BUT, Here is my issue, i never got my period. I got moody and had cramps, but it never came (doctor on tuesday) Theres no way im pregnant, (no sex 2 years).
Thats not my question though, When i woke up today i was 225.8, and i stopped losing at 228 at weeks ago, so im wondering if it could of been my period, and now that i didn't have it things are back to normal?
What is your opinion on all of this? Has this happened to you?

Replies

• bd0027
    bd0027 Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    I'd assume it was your period. I would talk it over with my doctor but not stress it too much. :flowerforyou:
  • forevermaryb
    forevermaryb Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Hi, I looked through several days of your diary. Unless you are not logging everything, there were many days that you were consuming well under 1000 calories. You are also lacking lots of nutrients in your diet, so I would hope you are supplementing with a multivitamin. Your body may be reacting to eating too few calories and lack of proper nutrition (I only looked through some random days of your diary and may have just selected days that you didn't log everything). You should be eating a minimum of 1200 calories daily (probably more). You should talk with your doctor about your diet and not getting your period. I'm worried you are on a path to potential health problems with eating too few calories. Losing weight should also be about getting healthy. Good luck.
  • rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    I agree with the poster above. For the vast majority of us, weird stuff happens from time to time.

If the same thing happens next month, get it checked out.
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options
    My friend Dope says squats and deadlifts oughta do it.
  • RobinvdM
    RobinvdM Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    It is actually quite possible to plateau despite being obese. It happened quite a lot to me. Second, it could be a number of things. Sodium, stress levels, a missed prd. Hope your dr gives you helpful information :)

ETA: After some thought I realised I too had experienced sporadic "missed" periods, where my weight would bounce. The only thing I could figure was my body was adjusting to the massive weight loss (yay me!) and the hormone levels were all over the place. Until the weight settled, my prds came more or less whenever they pleased.

Right up until I got pregnant last year :p
  • rikkiolmstead
    rikkiolmstead Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    From time to time things like that happen. If your not getting enough calories, too much exercise, our hormones being off, and even stress can make our periods irregular. I had a year where my periods all but stopped. I was told by my ob/gyn that if I went over 3 months that they would give me medication. Then after that year everything has been normal. I wouldn't think too much into it if it doesn't happen too often.
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Hi~ Thank you for looking at my post. Sorry if your a guy might be a little Tmi.
    Here we go: My period was supposed to start the 24'th, and about a week or two before then i stopped dead in my tracks losing weight. Its not really possible for my to plateau because i am still very obese. I drink lots of water and eat the appropriate calorie intake.
    I layed it out to be my period, because i found some other women having the same issue, and after there period ended they lost the weight. BUT, Here is my issue, i never got my period. I got moody and had cramps, but it never came (doctor on tuesday) Theres no way im pregnant, (no sex 2 years).
    Thats not my question though, When i woke up today i was 225.8, and i stopped losing at 228 at weeks ago, so im wondering if it could of been my period, and now that i didn't have it things are back to normal?

I looked at your diary and not sure where you are getting your nutrients from. I am going to be blunt, what you eat is shocking, and to make matters worse, you do not even net 1200 calories most days, unless you are eating but not logging.

I would see a doctor to make sure that everything is alright.

Then start eating real food - fruits and vegetables, more dairy (yogurt), protein (peanut/almond butter), cheese, eggs, chicken, fish, meat. Start cooking at home (if you cannot cook), do some research on the Internet and try simple recipes until you feel confident to to try other things. Make sure you have a decent breakfast (if you can, some cannot eat breakfast). Stay away from processed foods - too much salt.

Drink water.
  • Paradokx
    Paradokx Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I'd assume it was your period. I would talk it over with my doctor but not stress it too much. :flowerforyou:
    Thank you~
    Hi, I looked through several days of your diary. Unless you are not logging everything, there were many days that you were consuming well under 1000 calories. You are also lacking lots of nutrients in your diet, so I would hope you are supplementing with a multivitamin. Your body may be reacting to eating too few calories and lack of proper nutrition (I only looked through some random days of your diary and may have just selected days that you didn't log everything). You should be eating a minimum of 1200 calories daily (probably more). You should talk with your doctor about your diet and not getting your period. I'm worried you are on a path to potential health problems with eating too few calories. Losing weight should also be about getting healthy. Good luck.
    Yes im not logging everything recently, Still eating the amount though. And i do take a multivitamin everyday. So i dont think it would be that sadly :/ But i do need to eat more nutritious stuff, it is hard with the people i currently live with.
    ETA: After some thought I realised I too had experienced sporadic "missed" periods, where my weight would bounce. The only thing I could figure was my body was adjusting to the massive weight loss (yay me!) and the hormone levels were all over the place. Until the weight settled, my prds came more or less whenever they pleased.

Right up until I got pregnant last year :p
    What a positive way of thinking! Thank you! And Congratulations on the baby! You must be so happy!
  • Paradokx
    Options

I looked at your diary and not sure where you are getting your nutrients from. I am going to be blunt, what you eat is shocking, and to make matters worse, you do not even net 1200 calories most days, unless you are eating but not logging.

Then start eating real food - fruits and vegetables, more dairy (yogurt), protein (peanut/almond butter), cheese, eggs, chicken, fish, meat. Start cooking at home (if you cannot cook), do some research on the Internet and try simple recipes until you feel confident to to try other things. Make sure you have a decent breakfast (if you can, some cannot eat breakfast). Stay away from processed foods - too much salt.

Drink water.
    I do drink water, more than 8 cups a day, i just don't have the time to sit around and track it. I eat meat atleast once a day, fish, chicken, or beef, which is usually my dinner. When i don't log i don't know what the calories for it are so i just leave it. But yes i do skip logs, especially recently, my past entries have been fine though. Hmm I eat way to much dairy, yogurt/cheese, especially with ibs doesn't help me very much. My problem is I live with 2 others, and i don't buy all of the food due to jobless currently, So its hard to make healthier choices. But i will try to do adjust to eat realer foods ! Thank you so much for the help!!
  • alechua
    alechua Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Hi there. I lost my period for 3 months (successive) and that is because I'm doing so much workout and not eating enough. Try to search amenorrhea symptoms. I regained my period now because I increase my intake calories. I believe the body is still adjusting while were changing our diets and somewhat affects our hormones, but mine stabilized (I believe, lol!) since I already got my regular period back. :)
  • kamalelwa
    kamalelwa Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    You are normal but go see the doctor so you feel better. I know that my weight fluctuates before and during my period. I do not weigh the week my "festival" is going on. I know from experience that the bloating and pre-menstral symptoms all affect the weight. Give yourself a break and relax--don't go crazy but cut yourself some slack!!!! Hope this helps some?
  • Paradokx
    Options
    Hi there. I lost my period for 3 months (successive) and that is because I'm doing so much workout and not eating enough. Try to search amenorrhea symptoms. I regained my period now because I increase my intake calories. I believe the body is still adjusting while were changing our diets and somewhat affects our hormones, but mine stabilized (I believe, lol!) since I already got my regular period back. :)
    Even before my dieting, about a year ago I wasn't having a period for months at a time (around 3) Needed the pill to even out, but other health issues came up, chronic migraines my doctor pinned on the pill so i had to stop taking it. And now that im dieting i feel its making my period go back out of wack! If anything i should exercise more.. Maybe it could be the other way around? Eat to much not enough exercise.
    You are normal but go see the doctor so you feel better. I know that my weight fluctuates before and during my period. I do not weigh the week my "festival" is going on. I know from experience that the bloating and pre-menstral symptoms all affect the weight. Give yourself a break and relax--don't go crazy but cut yourself some slack!!!! Hope this helps some?
    Oh i like that, "Festival" Alright i will talk to my doctor about it, sadly i've been waiting weeks for this appointment! I suppose he is an important man, That is what i was thinking, maybe due to "Should be" having a period at that time i still had my weight affected since i still got the cramping and pms just no period! And yes it helped alot Thank you! A lot of people trying to pin it on what i eat but i do think this is the cause!
  • JessyLovesJCS
    JessyLovesJCS Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Perhaps you could offer to do the dirty dishes or laundry for your roommates in exchange for fresh veggies, fruits, eggs, or other healthier foods? I know it's a challenge right now for you, but maybe they'll 'deal' to get out of some housework or other things and you'll benefit too!

I am much older than you. I have a few health issues that make losing weight difficult. I found that only eating around 1200 calories a day, sometimes 1300, never helped me lose weight. In fact, I would go 2 months sometimes without losing an ounce, sometimes even GAINING. I started eating 1700-1800 calories about 5 weeks ago and lost just over 7 pounds (although I took 2 weeks off from watching calories while on vacation so really only 3 weeks). Your body needs fuel to burn those calories! It's a balance between eating enough and eating too much, but I bet you could go to 1500 and be OK. If you're not losing well right now, think about eating 100 more calories a day for week and see what happens.
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    The joys of being a woman - hormonal imbalances will do funky things to us - maybe your doc can recommend something other than the pill to fix this issue - if there aren't any other underlying issues other than missing TOM try not to stress too much - I am 45 and looking forward to the day that TOM quits coming around :ohwell:
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Give it a month. I skipped a period 6 months ago and didn't lose anything that month, then it came back the next month and I lost almost twice the normal amount the next week. If it doesn't come back in a month, go see your gynecologist.
  • socajam
    Options
    Perhaps you could offer to do the dirty dishes or laundry for your roommates in exchange for fresh veggies, fruits, eggs, or other healthier foods? I know it's a challenge right now for you, but maybe they'll 'deal' to get out of some housework or other things and you'll benefit too!

I am much older than you. I have a few health issues that make losing weight difficult. I found that only eating around 1200 calories a day, sometimes 1300, never helped me lose weight. In fact, I would go 2 months sometimes without losing an ounce, sometimes even GAINING. I started eating 1700-1800 calories about 5 weeks ago and lost just over 7 pounds (although I took 2 weeks off from watching calories while on vacation so really only 3 weeks). Your body needs fuel to burn those calories! It's a balance between eating enough and eating too much, but I bet you could go to 1500 and be OK. If you're not losing well right now, think about eating 100 more calories a day for week and see what happens.

That's a good idea about doing the dishes and laundry in exchange for healthier food. Just make sure that they pay up.
  • Paradokx
    Options

That is a good idea! I will try to cut a deal with them! Its hard living with people who don't like eating right! Chips all day! Haha.
    I'm sorry to hear about your health issues, that is good you found you could lose with eating more and im definitely going to try that, its more food, and if it works, it a win-win situation!
    The joys of being a woman - hormonal imbalances will do funky things to us - maybe your doc can recommend something other than the pill to fix this issue - if there aren't any other underlying issues other than missing TOM try not to stress too much - I am 45 and looking forward to the day that TOM quits coming around :ohwell:
    I hope he can! I will try to stress less that could be a contributing factor. And aren't we all! I've only been at this for a short time, i bet your so sick of it by now! Even to get rid of it we have to go through menopause, Arn't we so all so lucky! :laugh:
  • Paradokx
    Options
    Give it a month. I skipped a period 6 months ago and didn't lose anything that month, then it came back the next month and I lost almost twice the normal amount the next week. If it doesn't come back in a month, go see your gynecologist.
    Wow really? Thats crazy! Yes i will go see my gynecologist, Thanks!!
    That's a good idea about doing the dishes and laundry in exchange for healthier food. Just make sure that they pay up.
    You bet i will! Would suck to do their chores for free! Gives a bit extra "Cleaning" exercise i guess :laugh:
  • socajam
    Options

Drink water.
    I do drink water, more than 8 cups a day, i just don't have the time to sit around and track it. I eat meat atleast once a day, fish, chicken, or beef, which is usually my dinner. When i don't log i don't know what the calories for it are so i just leave it. But yes i do skip logs, especially recently, my past entries have been fine though. Hmm I eat way to much dairy, yogurt/cheese, especially with ibs doesn't help me very much. My problem is I live with 2 others, and i don't buy all of the food due to jobless currently, So its hard to make healthier choices. But i will try to do adjust to eat realer foods ! Thank you so much for the help!!

I share your pain about being jobless and not having much money. I was working and all my money went to pay the bills. It is hard and your are young, but this is where your thinking skills will have to come into play. There are some cheap foods you can buy such as lentils and chickpeas - high in protein. You can make lentil burgers or chick peas and potato curry (using sweet potatoes.

One of things I still do is check out the sales at the supermarket each week and stock up on the healthy food - sardines, tuna, yogurt etc that are on sale
  • caroldavison332
    caroldavison332 Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    If you get fat, thin, stressed or diet too much your period will stop. I wouldn't bother going to the Dr. For a missed period. Instead of going to the dr i would religiously track my food, determine if I were eating enough, and correct that If necessary. If i were waiting accurately and missed 2nd or 3rd period I would see the dr. I used to have endometriosis and take the pill everyday of the month to avoid ovulation impact on my body. That gynecologist said that I only needed one period a year. You shouldn't wait that long. Definitely get checked if you miss a 3rd one.