How many calories should I be consuming per day:

Options
Can someone please help me out? I weigh 265 pounds as of yesterday. I started out Dec 13,2013 at 288.8. I have no idea what amount of calories I should be consuming per day. I go to one website it says one thing. Then another and it says something totally different. Can someone please give me some idea of how many I should be eating to lose 2 pounds per week and lightly active. Thank you so much. I have seen some people ask questions on here and get their heads chewed off. Please be nice. lol lol lol

Replies

• Popsing
    Popsing Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I would trust what myfitnesspal says after you put in your information. Be as honest as you can. I successfully lost over 35 pounds using only the information on the website but have not been using it regularly in the last two months and have gained back 10 pounds! You'd better believe I'm going back on the program.

To check my calorie output when I lift weights, though, I use another website because MFP doesn't count calories burned lifting weights, only doing cardio.

Stick with it, drink your water and it can work. Good Luck!
  • LynndaMaree
    LynndaMaree Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for the quick response. I'll try that. :smile:
  • Popsing
    Popsing Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Oh, and if you are sedentary or moderately active, you can calculate your caloric needs by multiplying your current weight by 1.5. It will give you a ballpark of what you need to MAINTAIN that weight. To lose about one pound a week, try to run a 500 calorie deficit. To lose more, eat less. Meaning, if you need 2500 calories per day to maintain, eat only 2000 calories that day, but never less than 1200 per day or you will not lose an ounce in the long run. As you lose weight, the amount that you eat has to also decrease, or you will stop losing.

The idea is to learn a new way of eating, really. MFP is only a tool you can use. Weighing yourself every morning helps, too. Once you get in the habit, you'll learn how your weight fluctuates, and you'll stop judging yourself by what it says. It's an important tool partly because women have hormonal changes, etc. that cause you to have what looks like failure one day and success the next. When you recognize the patters, you'll be more at peace with what it says.

For example: from my highest weight--about six years ago--I lost 25 pounds by writing what I ate down in a notebook with a pencil. I kept it off, but knew I needed to lose more. Last year I decided to lose another 20-30 pounds and soon discovered MFP which is easier--no writer's cramp. As I said, I lost over 35 pounds. Then I had foot surgery in September which set me back in the cardio department, but I maintained the loss. I was also fine over the holidays. Unfortunately, I lost motivation in January and stopped logging in daily. Bad idea.

So let me break it down for your weight. By my calculation, it takes nearly 4,000 calories for you to maintain your current weight. To lose two pounds per week, you should eat no more than 3,000 calories per day. As you lose, though, you need to adjust the numbers downward. I would trust what it says on the website more than what I'm telling you, but I have your best interests at heart. Adding exercise is a great way to run that calorie deficit without feeling too deprived.

Here is my story: I made the decision to drop most of the rice, pasta and bread from my diet two years ago. I lifted weights with a trainer six days per week and did cardio every other day. I didn't lose a pound! I went from a size 16 to a 14, but my weight stayed the same. When I started tracking my food on MFP and following their calorie recommendations, I steadily lost 1.5 pounds every week until I reached a weight I hadn't been since 1995. I weigh myself every morning and take the information and use it. As I've seen myself undo some of the work I did last year and up until two months ago, I knew when enough was enough.

The key is honesty. When I went to Costco and sampled anything--or everything--I had to put it on MFP. I'm on here this morning looking for motivation and answering your question--at length for which I apologize--has brought back the motivation. I'm still in the gym six times a week and we're having an exercise bike delivered Monday so I can get back on the cardio wagon. I used to take the dog out for an hour every day, and not doing it has added to my woes. I hope I've answered your question.

Again, good luck. You can "friend" me on MFP if you like, any time.
  • LynndaMaree
    LynndaMaree Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Wow! Thank you so much for all the useful information. I put in all my information. It said I should be eating 1460 calories per day if I am lightly active. I also am trying to lose 2 pounds per week. Thank you for all your help. This was great information. I'll keep you posted on my outcome.