Exercising with Dogs

Options
Wondering if anyone else out there exercises with their dog? Or cat, or turtle, or hedgehog....

I have a Heeler and I run with him regularly. I just got a RuffWear Roamer leash off of eBay, I haven't tried it yet (might do that tonight) but I think it would be better than just holding on for dear life. Plus apparently you have to swing your arms a certain way to run properly and that cannot be done (well) with holding a leash.

I also just got into bikejoring which is a LOT of fun. I'd like to get into canicross and snowboardjoring (not sure of the right name for it?) in the future.

I love dogs and I'd love to hear about them all. What breed do you have? What do you do with your dogs? What would you LIKE to do? If you don't exercise with your dog.... why not/would you like to? And worst/best things about exercising with your dog.

(Best thing: Not feeling as scared when I'm out running/biking alone. Worst thing: If he sees deer, he tries to herd them.)

Replies

• CardiacLioness
    CardiacLioness Posts: 26 Member
    Options

Laughing at this thread but not in a bad way but in an understanding way. When I first started running with my Heeler, he also tried to herd me.
    Also nice/cool to see that you also have a herding breed. Probably my favorite type. I love their independence and intelligence, even when it's too much for their own good..
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Wondering if anyone else out there exercises with their dog? Or cat, or turtle, or hedgehog....

I have a Heeler and I run with him regularly. I just got a RuffWear Roamer leash off of eBay, I haven't tried it yet (might do that tonight) but I think it would be better than just holding on for dear life. Plus apparently you have to swing your arms a certain way to run properly and that cannot be done (well) with holding a leash.

I also just got into bikejoring which is a LOT of fun. I'd like to get into canicross and snowboardjoring (not sure of the right name for it?) in the future.

I love dogs and I'd love to hear about them all. What breed do you have? What do you do with your dogs? What would you LIKE to do? If you don't exercise with your dog.... why not/would you like to? And worst/best things about exercising with your dog.

(Best thing: Not feeling as scared when I'm out running/biking alone. Worst thing: If he sees deer, he tries to herd them.)

I have a golden retriever mix and a black lab. Both females. I mostly walk them on a leash. I don't walk them at the same time though. They don't walk at the same pace. The black lab is much faster and more energetic. They also go to parks and doggie parks. They love being outdoors. The black lab loves the water...beach, lakes.

Having to pick up their poop is the worst part about taking them anywhere with me.
  • craftywitch_63
    craftywitch_63 Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    I have five dogs and my shepherd mix tries to herd as well. I also have four cats. I don't try to exercise with my animals because keeping up with 9 animals, or even 5, is kind of daunting! :laugh: Besides that, I workout at a gym pretty exclusively and my animals would not be welcome.

Fortunately, I have a very large yard and they have full run of it, so I don't have to worry about having fat dogs. The cats, well, have you ever tried to exercise with a cat?

jrM1sz2.jpg
  • CardiacLioness
    Options

I have a golden retriever mix and a black lab. Both females. I mostly walk them on a leash. I don't walk them at the same time though. They don't walk at the same pace. The black lab is much faster and more energetic. They also go to parks and doggie parks. They love being outdoors. The black lab loves the water...beach, lakes.

Having to pick up their poop is the worst part about taking them anywhere with me.

I love love love labs and goldens. I had a black lab growing up, and my best friend had a chocolate lab that I adored. Really dislike how the showing world thinks they should look (like sausages! The Labs at the Westminster are CHUNKY) but I love love love a lean retriever. One that actually looks like it would be a good hunting dog LOL.
  • CardiacLioness
    Options
    I have five dogs and my shepherd mix tries to herd as well. I also have four cats. I don't try to exercise with my animals because keeping up with 9 animals, or even 5, is kind of daunting! :laugh: Besides that, I workout at a gym pretty exclusively and my animals would not be welcome.

Fortunately, I have a very large yard and they have full run of it, so I don't have to worry about having fat dogs. The cats, well, have you ever tried to exercise with a cat?

jrM1sz2.jpg

Wow! That's a lot of dogs. I hope to own that many eventually (or more.. it depends on the space I have haha) . Glad to hear they have a huge yard :D

As for exercising cats.... it's actually something I kind of want to try LOL. Cats can be trained to walk/run on the harness and exercise is very good for domestic cats, particularly those who lead only indoor lives (as they should.)
    Also found this while googling 'jogging with cat'
    http://www.animalplanet.com/tv-shows/must-love-cats/videos/incredible-jogging-cat.htm
  • sshintaku
    sshintaku Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I have a black lab/pit mix that both my husband and I take running. He loves it and is an easy runner, except when we encounter cats! Then, I get an arm workout in with my cardio pulling a spastic 70lb down the street. I also sometimes take my chihuahua mix running. He has no problem keeping up and will do 3 miles easily, but he does want to stop and pee on EVERYTHING.
  • gunshyangel78
    gunshyangel78 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I have 8 dogs, we live out in the country, but I aim to walk with at least 4 of them every day, (2 at a time) My great pyrs are lazy, and just bumble along, but when I wanna kick up the pace I grab my Malamute and Huskie mix and let them walk me buwahahahhahaha!
  • rayvynn5374
    rayvynn5374 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    We have 2 Australian Cattle Dogs. One is too old to run, the female runs with us as we train for a half marathon. My hubby has trained her to stay on his left. She only pulls and acts stupid if I get out front or she sees an animal. ANY ANIMAL~!!!!!!!!!! We have her on a pinch collar that I don't think has ever pinched her and a regular heavy duty nylon leash. The leash has a hand loop. I don't care what the new research says..that dogs shows remorse for anything that she knows was wrong. Broke the bird bath a year ago still won't go near it if we say bird bath. And puts her little ears down.
  • CardiacLioness
    Options
    I have 8 dogs, we live out in the country, but I aim to walk with at least 4 of them every day, (2 at a time) My great pyrs are lazy, and just bumble along, but when I wanna kick up the pace I grab my Malamute and Huskie mix and let them walk me buwahahahhahaha!

Pyreneese and Bernese Mountain Dogs are some of my favorite dogs, although I would probably only get one when I'm much older and not as active as I am now... or maybe I'll just try to get a particularly hyper Mountain Dog.
    Huskys are also great, but geez that is a lot of energy! Still, I want to get one someday; dog sledding is a sport I would love to try. Have you considered joring with them?
  • CardiacLioness
    Options
    We have 2 Australian Cattle Dogs. One is too old to run, the female runs with us as we train for a half marathon. My hubby has trained her to stay on his left. She only pulls and acts stupid if I get out front or she sees an animal. ANY ANIMAL~!!!!!!!!!! We have her on a pinch collar that I don't think has ever pinched her and a regular heavy duty nylon leash. The leash has a hand loop. I don't care what the new research says..that dogs shows remorse for anything that she knows was wrong. Broke the bird bath a year ago still won't go near it if we say bird bath. And puts her little ears down.

Awesome to see another ACD lover on here. YES they are very smart dogs... who will herd any animal. Even impossible to herd animals like cats :noway:
  • jeanniewes
    jeanniewes Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Our little girls are little...lol BUT THEY LOVE TOO WALK. When my 6 year old Beagle/Jack Russel mix was a puppy we would walk 4 or 5 miles. Six months later our neighbor begged us too take their Full Blooded minature Jack Russel. She is a year younger than the other. It was difficult too walk 4 or 5 miles with them both. STILL we do a good 3.25 Miles together almost every single day especially in the warm weather. In winter we try too do as much as possible but there have been some days this year we had too miss... Our little gilrs are pictured in my Avatar....

EDIT: I almost forgot too say that the Older Dog weighs 17 pounds. The younger fluctuates between 9 and 10 pounds...
  • allotmentgardener
    allotmentgardener Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    We have a husky and a malamute. As the picture shows, their 'after walk' stance :)
    They love being out - both were rescue dogs with not good pasts but I like to think they are well settled now. The husky is 11years and the Maly 7 years.
  • TinyBriony14
    Options
    I used to go walking/running with my horse when he was a baby - we were quite a sight!!! These days he is old enough to ride so I do that for exercise now :D
  • FinallyDoingMe
    FinallyDoingMe Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Oh yes a Husky will run your butt ragged! Ours clearly thinks she is the lead and I let her! lol
  • jasonpclement
    jasonpclement Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    My wife has an Australian Shepherd. She runs w/ him, and I take him mountain biking. She is just starting to skijore (spelling) with him as well.

He really likes cross country skiing as well.

I have found Mtn biking to be the funnest activity with him, especially with a small group of people. Due to all the switch backs, he often thinks our group is breaking apart, since for a moment we might be going in opposite directions. You can see the stress that causes him because of his herding instincts. He wants the group of bikers to stay together, all the time.
  • supermysza
    supermysza Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I have a lab who loves running with me :smile:
    I tried cycling with her but she knocked me over so no more cycling for her :grumble:
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    I have an english bulldog that would make probably the worst exercise partner ever. However, she makes a great couch potato companion.

A friend of mine had a boxer, and I was always blown away by how well he was trained. First off - he didn't go to the bathroom on their walk/run at all - he went in the backyard before or after walk. She had a leash that attached to her waist - and he would JUST walk/run on their walk - it was for pure exercise. No sniffing, no cocking of leg...just walking. My friend was clearly a much more patient trainer than I.
  • plumsparkle
    plumsparkle Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I run through the woods with my neighbours yorkshire terrier, but I am a bit ashamed to say that the speed i run at, the dog barely breaks out of a trot! But when i am getting puffed out and need a little rest, stopping to call him and wait for him to stop sniffing whatever he has found and catch up is a good excuse for a breather - tho i do try not to do that too often!
  • sunnshhiine
    sunnshhiine Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I have an Italian Greyhound. We walk together almost every day when it's warm enough outside.