Minimizing fat gain without lifting during ED recovery

Options
I’m a 19 year old female who is 5’4” and around 100-105 pounds. (No access to scale)

I was 156 pounds at one point and got down to 120 pounds through years of yo-yo dieting. I developed an eating disorder and got down to 99 pounds. I’ve been in recovery since October, seeing a psychologist and a dietitian. I can only afford to see my dietitian once a month because insurance doesn’t cover the $150 hour session but I do go to therapy every week.

I started out in recovery getting to 800 calories a day and I have been upping ever since and now eat 1700 calories a day. I have a meal plan based on exchange system with 6 ounces of protein, 2 dairy exchanges, 8 starch exchanges, 6 fat exchanges (which really seems excessive), 2 veggie exchanges, and 2 fruit exchanges.

My scale has been taken away and I do blind weigh-ins so I don’t know my current weight. My concern is that as I’m going to be gaining weight, I am putting on fat and not muscle. I’m a broke student and can’t afford a gym membership (there isn’t one at my community college either) so I have been doing pilates and body weight exercises. I do not do any cardio, as I have been forbidden to do so my dietitian.

Is lifting weights the only thing that will help me gain mostly muscle instead of fat? I’m afraid that through the years of dieting and having an eating disorder I have lost lean muscle and am stuck with gaining fat as I recover.

Replies

• SuperstarDJ
    SuperstarDJ Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Firstly, give yourself SO much credit for entering into a recovery programme!!! I'm also anorexic so know how challenging and downright scary that can be.

To be honest, this really isn't the place to be asking these questions - I've seen others ask similar questions here but get unhelpful, or even dangerous advice from people who mean well, but don't understand the physical recovery process from an ED. Is it possible you're asking us these questions because you know, deep down, that your team will say no? It's totally normal for that ED voice to catastrophise and have you believe that you're only going to gain fat. Please remember that every organ and system in your body will have been affected by restriction, so your body needs the nutrition to fix all the damage inside the body, as well as outside (e.g. We can lose 20% of our brain!). Your body has a LOT of things to do, other than make adipose tissue :)

Can you email your dietitian? Mine used to let me contact her - within reason - between sessions, if I was worried about anything. As you've only been in recovery since October, I honestly think it's too early to be using weights. Anorexia puts a huge strain on our hearts so lifting could be potentially very dangerous this early in your recovery, not to mention how easy it is for us to become obsessed with exercise.

I'd suggest working on mending yourself physically and emotionally before embarking on an exercise programme of any type. When you are ready for it, your team will let you know. Trust me!

Wishing you all the best in your recovery and, again, well done on making those positive steps towards a better - and happier - life!

x
  • caroldavison332
    caroldavison332 Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Why would anyone need to see a dietician monthly? Don't they give you one diet to stick with?
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,963 Member
    Options
    Why would anyone need to see a dietician monthly? Don't they give you one diet to stick with?

Is that all you got from her post? :noway:

How about that she is in recovery? Forpetesake.
  • claptrap_beepboop
    claptrap_beepboop Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    As she said, someone who is in ED recovery. When I was hospitalized for mine, I had one as part of my treatment team and spoke to her one or more times a day.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your recovery!!

If I where you, since you can't get to a gym and don't have much extra money to spend, I would go get some kettlebells or dumb bells to use at home. Of coarse, it won't be like going and using weights at the gym, but at least it's something.
    I have kettlebells and there's a lot of free routines on YouTube. If you do get some, search Joann moniz on YouTube. I love her routines!!
  • SuperstarDJ
    Options
    Remember when I said:
    To be honest, this really isn't the place to be asking these questions - I've seen others ask similar questions here but get unhelpful, or even dangerous advice....

Case in point:

Sigh.... :(
  • SuperstarDJ
    Options
    Congrats on your recovery!!

If I where you, since you can't get to a gym and don't have much extra money to spend, I would go get some kettlebells or dumb bells to use at home. Of coarse, it won't be like going and using weights at the gym, but at least it's something.
    I have kettlebells and there's a lot of free routines on YouTube. If you do get some, search Joann moniz on YouTube. I love her routines!!

Again, anorexia puts a huge strain on your heart so no, no, no!!!! A woman I was in recovery with, dropped dead from
    A heart attack carrying her groceries into her house!!!
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    If you search for 'convict training', body weight training or similar there are quite a few options.

I still personally much prefer bars and bits of metal - you can usually get a set very cheaply second hand. (I made my own rack from spare wood.)

However, it's also quite likely that a bit more fat would help and likely they are trying to encourage you to not be worried by this.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    Again, anorexia puts a huge strain on your heart so no, no, no!!!! A woman I was in recovery with, dropped dead from
    How underweight was this girl? She must have been at risk of refeed syndrome or had issues related to poor heart health stemming from her ED.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options

^^ The second jerk post I've seen from you in under an hour. Are you hangry? Please go have a sandwich and stop antagonizing people for no reason. kthnxbai! :flowerforyou:
  • SuperstarDJ
    Options
    How underweight was this girl?

We were in recovery: she was weight restored, but it often takes the organs and other functions a LOT longer to recover.

I've lost count of the number of people I've known to die from this (I first entered treatment 22 years ago - I've had AN since I was a kid). 4 were normal weight. You don't have to be underweight to die. I had a Transient Ischaemic Attack (or 'mini stroke') at a normal weight.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    You NEED to gain fat. Forget about exercise while in recovery. Focus on getting the calories you need for your body to repair itself. Your body cannot both build muscle and recover from the damage that your ED did to it.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    We were in recovery: she was weight restored, but it often takes the organs and other functions a LOT longer to recover.

I've lost count of the number of people I've known to die from this (I first entered treatment 22 years ago - I've had AN since I was a kid). 4 were normal weight. You don't have to be underweight to die. I had a Transient Ischaemic Attack (or 'mini stroke') at a normal weight.
    I know. One major issue with recovering persons is they eat enough to gain weight, but not enough to repair the physiological damage done: including organ health such as the heart. The OP should get checked out by a doctor to see if she is a candidate for resistance training as a means to recover lean mass and strength before doing anything.
  • SuperstarDJ
    Options

I know. One major issue with recovering persons is they eat enough to gain weight, but not enough to repair the physiological damage done: including organ health such as the heart. The OP should get checked out by a doctor to see if she is a candidate for resistance training as a means to recover lean mass and strength before doing anything.

Exactly. Another factor to take into account, however, is if the person is mentally ready to undertake any type of exercise/lifting regime. It's very easy to swap one obsession for another. It is usually a team decision (e.g. psychologist, MD, RD, etc). They will look at all aspects of the person's recovery to see if they are ready or if it is safe for them. As the OP is only in recovery since October (recovery takes years), I would bet my life that they wouldnt be happy for her to start just yet.
  • ernestbecker
    ernestbecker Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    My heart goes out to you and I wish you the best for your recovery. I wish I had advice to give you but all I have is encouragement and a big high 5 for tackling it head on and being open about it. You'll kick this thing and enjoy a wonderful relationship with food, health, and the body & weight you want. Go for it!
  • em31200
    em31200 Posts: 5
    Options
    Firstly, give yourself SO much credit for entering into a recovery programme!!! I'm also anorexic so know how challenging and downright scary that can be.

To be honest, this really isn't the place to be asking these questions - I've seen others ask similar questions here but get unhelpful, or even dangerous advice from people who mean well, but don't understand the physical recovery process from an ED. Is it possible you're asking us these questions because you know, deep down, that your team will say no? It's totally normal for that ED voice to catastrophise and have you believe that you're only going to gain fat. Please remember that every organ and system in your body will have been affected by restriction, so your body needs the nutrition to fix all the damage inside the body, as well as outside (e.g. We can lose 20% of our brain!). Your body has a LOT of things to do, other than make adipose tissue :)

Can you email your dietitian? Mine used to let me contact her - within reason - between sessions, if I was worried about anything. As you've only been in recovery since October, I honestly think it's too early to be using weights. Anorexia puts a huge strain on our hearts so lifting could be potentially very dangerous this early in your recovery, not to mention how easy it is for us to become obsessed with exercise.

I'd suggest working on mending yourself physically and emotionally before embarking on an exercise programme of any type. When you are ready for it, your team will let you know. Trust me!

Wishing you all the best in your recovery and, again, well done on making those positive steps towards a better - and happier - life!

x

Thanks for all the lovely advice! I know I'm not supposed to be exercising too much just yet. My dietitian told me that if I consistently gain weight for a few appointments that I will be allowed to include daily light exercise. So far I have only gained at my last appointment 2 weeks ago so I know it might be a little while before she gives me the green light to exercise daily. I'm currently only allowed to do the pilates once per week for 15 minutes as long as I eat at least 1800 calories that day instead of 1700.
  • em31200
    Options

You are very ignorant about what eating disorder treatment entails.

My dietitan tweaks my diet every time I see her. She is the only one who weighs me to record my progress. Without my dietitian I would have no idea how much to eat and she tells me what I need.
  • SuperstarDJ
    Options

x

Thanks for all the lovely advice! I know I'm not supposed to be exercising too much just yet. My dietitian told me that if I consistently gain weight for a few appointments that I will be allowed to include daily light exercise. So far I have only gained at my last appointment 2 weeks ago so I know it might be a little while before she gives me the green light to exercise daily. I'm currently only allowed to do the pilates once per week for 15 minutes as long as I eat at least 1800 calories that day instead of 1700.
    So there's your answer hon :) Pilates is fantastic and is great for core strength and strength in general.

Your dietitian knows you - and your needs - best. Please trust her. When I was attending a dietitian, I was convinced she just wanted to make me fat (ED distorted thinking!), but of course that makes no sense, and would be completely unethical! She really just has your best interests at heart.

Keep fighting hon - you can do it, and it will be worth it xx
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

x

So there's your answer hon :) Pilates is fantastic and is great for core strength and strength in general.

Your dietitian knows you - and your needs - best. Please trust her. When I was attending a dietitian, I was convinced she just wanted to make me fat (ED distorted thinking!), but of course that makes no sense, and would be completely unethical! She really just has your best interests at heart.

^Everything that Superstar has said.

Great job so far OP and keep going at it and talking with your team! :flowerforyou:
  • em31200
    Options

Thanks! :flowerforyou: I know I need to gain some fat back, particularly because I suffer with amenorrhea. I'm positive it's partially the ED that is worried that I will balloon up and gain too much fat. I guess I'm thinking ahead of how to gain back lean body mass as well.