The correlation between acne and exercise/healthy eating

Options
This has been bugging me for a while. I know that I've read before that sugar can make you break out more often/worse, and stress/menstruation tends to do the same. For about two months before my lifestyle change, I had persistent acne (mainly contained to my cheeks and jawline). Since I've started drinking nothing but water, eating healthier, and working out regularly, I've noticed a good bit of clear up on my skin, which continued for about a month or so.

Keep in mind that I wash my face twice a day with a product including SA and apply a cream containing benzoyl peroxide once a day. I noticed the other day that the acne seemed to be coming back, and even worse than before? I'm not sure why.

Does anyone have any experience with this topic, or can provide some factual information? I really want clear, healthy skin, but I feel like I'll never get there. :(

Replies

• cwsreddy
    cwsreddy Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    When I start working out a lot consistently, if I don't IMMEDIATELY shower after my workout and exfoliate and leave enough time to let the sweat and grime dry into my pores, I'll experience some breakouts. Same if I wear the same workout clothes a couple times without washing them. Gross. So that's something to think about, but honestly you're also still young and as such you're much more prone to it. I had tons of issues with it when I was younger and in the last few years (I'm 27) it's really really died down, which is nice :)

But you're definitely going to be better off if you keep doing what you're doing food/exercise wise! Good luck
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    I don't have any factual information - in fact when I had the same issues I couldn't find any information myself. I can offer that when I first started working out my skin sort of cleared up a bit, then all heck broke loose! . . . It was horrible. I have heard that it's your body getting rid of all the toxins from food if you have made any changes to your diet, etc., didn't really care - it was just bad! Fast forward a few months and right now I have to admit that my skin is probably at its best, I get pore blockage from sweating that would probably improve if I cleaned my face immediately after working out (I try and avoid the locker room as much as possible, but I should put some wipes in my car). As much as I know you don't want yo hear this, you might need to give it more time to clear up.

I went to see a dermatologist but there was no way I was willing to take antibiotics everyday for 6 months, but that could be an option if you can't take it!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    Exercise helps to raise natural testosterone in the body, and testosterone is associated with increased acne.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • cwsreddy
    cwsreddy Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    Exercise helps to raise natural testosterone in the body, and testosterone is associated with increased acne.

IDEA Fitness member

that'll really encourage her to keep exercising :tongue:

true though.
  • hammersoaps
    Options
    My skin tends to be better the more water I drink. Exercise give it a nice glow I think. My skin is typically pretty clear, but do notice a few break outs here and there around my time of the month. The one thing I find is that if I do too much to it, I break out more. I just wash it with a scrubby face wash about twice a week wipe my face down just with water and a soft cloth after a workout and before bed. I don't typically wear makeup, just the act of having to scrub it off every night would make me break out. I also just use an oil free face lotion at night, nothing else. I dunno, maybe you are washing too much.
  • kmoirecavender
    kmoirecavender Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Be careful not to overdry your skin either, sometimes that can cause breakouts too, be sure and use a good moisturizer, even if you have oily skin, as it will decrease the oil. I found that a zinc supplement helps also. Good luck, keep doing the healthy stuff!
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    I break out more from exercise/sweat, but I've found a tea tree oil soap that works really well for me in clearing and preventing the breakouts.
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Sea Salt + Warm Water scrub before I get into the shower. I moisturize with Aveeno afterwards, since sea salt dries the skin...and the acne.

I have suffered with acne my entire life. I just went into the ocean for the first time in my life this xmas, and my acne cleared right up!
  • sarahlyzzibeth
    Options
    Sounds like you're working hard to take care of your skin. I don't know a whole lot about it, but whenever I have a question I go to beautypedia.com. It's a free website full of great information. Also has professional product reviews from a cosmetologist.
  • caroldavison332
    caroldavison332 Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    I eat healthily and don't get acne. My sister who hasn't eaten anything nutritious since she left my mom's house has acne. So do her children. The acne went away when they moved in with their aunt who cooked healthily. I recommend lots and lots of vegetables and no sugar.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Have you increased your dairy?
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Have you increased your dairy?

No. If anything, I've decreased it.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

^^THIS

When I was in my early 20's, I had the worst acne of my life when I was my fittest and lifting heavy on a regular basis. As soon as I went on oral contraceptives, all the acne went away. My doctor said the hormones in the birth control pills suppress testosterone.
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

^^THIS

When I was in my early 20's, I had the worst acne of my life when I was my fittest and lifting heavy on a regular basis. As soon as I went on oral contraceptives, all the acne went away. My doctor said the hormones in the birth control pills suppress testosterone.

I use Depo as a contraceptive, since my blood pressure is very high and my doctor doesn't recommend pills for this reason.