Biggest Loser Contests at work - yay or nay?

Options
I'm in one. I'm doing my weight loss the right way - counting calories and exercising. Two people have lost 40+ pounds in 8 weeks. I can't believe they're doing things the right way. In fact I know one of them ate only vegetables and won the last contest a few years back. I just don't feel motivated paying money to see others cheat or use unhealthy methods to lose weight.

Replies

• CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Then don't play. I'd totally "cheat to win" if there was significant money involved.
  • Amandawith3kids
    Amandawith3kids Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    i'm doing one through hubby's job. there are 7 of us. i dont know what the current standings are. my goal within that program is to not have to pay anything. LOL if i win, i'll get about 70+ bucks, and i can go buy myself some new clothes.

my biggest competition is the receiver, and i can see no visible difference in his shape. second closes competitor i havent seen since the first weigh in. third closest has not lost any visible weight. the store manager is trying to GAIN weight (he pays when he loses weight) and i dont even know who all else is doing it LOL my hubby's boss let me into the office where the scale was today while i was shopping there, and i "officially unofficially" lost another 4 pounds since monday.
  • ShadeBlossom
    ShadeBlossom Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I'm in one at work, too. To be honest, I wish I hadn't joined. I thought it would be a good motivator and get me headed back to the gym again (after I got this desk job and started losing all the progress I'd made)... and it has, but it's also dumped a boatload of extra pressure on me. My team was very focused on winning and I just wanted support for getting fit. Similar goals, to be sure, but very different methods and motivations.

Also, I know good and well that other teams are "cheating" with unhealthy methods. I don't care that they'll win, but I hate feeling like I'm encouraging the behavior.

On the good side, though, I met some great people who have all expressed interest in staying in touch and motivating each other to keep going after the contest is over, so it's definitely not been a complete failure.
  • ebayaddict0127
    ebayaddict0127 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Then don't play. I'd totally "cheat to win" if there was significant money involved.

I won't be involved in the next one. It's supposed to promote health and well being.. and the prize isn't even that great. Why starve yourself for money?
  • threefancy
    threefancy Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    My father was in a couple through his workplace. He won each one by basically starving himself and losing about 40 lbs. As soon as he won, he would start eating like he normally did and quickly put it back on. Then he would starve and lose it again for the next contest. Eventually they stopped doing it because he won every time. Roughly $250 each time.