Do YOU count cleaning?

Options

Replies

• aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    Not for everyday cleaning (dusting, vacuuming, dishes, laundry, etc), but I do a "season cleaning" (instead of just spring cleaning because there is dust where I live that gets EVERYWHERE!) every 3 months. Shampooing the carpets, cleaning the curtains, moving the furniture to underneath, cleaning out the light fixtures, going through all our things to find throw away or donation items, blah blah blah. I totally count that. But I do cut my time in half since since I think that MFP over estimates. But it usually takes me a week to get through the whole house, so that's a week when I eat a lot more!
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    No. That is part of my normal routine for the week.
  • bl1nk6
    bl1nk6 Posts: 175
    Options
    yea and I count walking to the refrigerator too...

i should do this!
  • IIIIISerenityNowIIIII
    IIIIISerenityNowIIIII Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    The only time I count it is when it is some serious scrubbing. If I'm sweating and cleaning the entire house for.more than an hour, I count it. I'm a sahm and clean constantly every day but that is just light cleaning that I don't count. So far today I did two loads of laundry, took out the trash, swept leaves from the sidewalk, washed dishes, swept three rooms and tidied the play room. I don't think I should count that BC it is normal for me...or should I?
  • redambition
    redambition Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Only if I am spending quite a while (several hours) doing it.

Doing the dishes/daily chores don't count. A big deep clean, I'd log it, but also underestimate the calories. I don't count it as exercise, but if I've spent the whole day cleaning then I've been more active than my estimate, and I should probably compensate accordingly.

If I do count them, I usually underestimate. Unless I'm really going fast and sweating buckets. (scrubbing floors, moving furniture, deep scrubbing the tub, etc.)

Sounds perfect :)
  • CarolinkaCjj
    CarolinkaCjj Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    I count it because I really do not clean - REALLY (our house is a mess) so when I do any significant cleaning, I include it.
  • rhbabilon
    rhbabilon Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I may enter it in as "cleaning," but the nature of my job as a retail merchandiser requires me to lift and squat and do other things that are like housework but are not housework. The cleaning I do at home, I do not enter as exercise. So, yes, I do count cleaning, but not cleaning at the house.... sounds weird to say it like that....
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    I may enter it in as "cleaning," but the nature of my job as a retail merchandiser requires me to lift and squat and do other things that are like housework but are not housework. The cleaning I do at home, I do not enter as exercise. So, yes, I do count cleaning, but not cleaning at the house.... sounds weird to say it like that....
    I would not count your job either!
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    I don't count it. I have a good amount of friends on here who do though!
  • jdr1223
    jdr1223 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I hate cleaning and rarely do more than just a clothes pick up or dusting, but If I spend 2-3 hours of dusting, vacuuming, cleaning bathrooms, kitchen and mopping like I have done today then I do count it....but when I do count it I only put that I did about an hours worth (even though I did way more than that).
  • 19TaraLynn84
    19TaraLynn84 Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I don't count my everyday things as exercise. But if I'm moving furniture to mop the whole house, you better believe I'll count it!
  • meganjcallaghan
    meganjcallaghan Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    only if i'm doing a full ''spring cleaning'' kind of day where I'm constantly moving, vaccuuming, cleaning the kitchen and bathroom top to bottom, scrubbing floors, cleaning out cupboards, cleaning all the windows etc.
  • tashac2000
    tashac2000 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I don't count cleaning, but I do count shoveling snow!!
  • acwd
    acwd Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Quoted from the article in the link below:
    "the more time people said they spent performing housework as exercise (which they considered moderate to vigorous physical activity), the heavier they tended to be"

http://www.livescience.com/40523-housework-exercise-physical-activity.html
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    no….

I mean do you count every time you get up to take a dump as exercise? I am sure you burn some calories doing that…especially if you are "backed up"
  • fizzanda
    fizzanda Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I counted it yesterday to get some extra food calories, but I ran up and down the stairs at least 20 times, so I underestimated the time and think I burned calories while doing it. I also ran to the bus stop and to the corner store across the street for insurance that I actually burned the extra calories.
  • RUNNING_AMOK_1958
    RUNNING_AMOK_1958 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Only if I work up a sweat doing it....which I never do.
  • Erinelda
    Erinelda Posts: 96
    Options
    I count cleaning because it is more than I usually do lol. I find I don't count what doesn't make me burn or breath heavy because your body adjusts to what you are used to. Like I don't count going to the bathroom but I would if I felt the burn on the way ha!
  • FitnFeistyLyness
    FitnFeistyLyness Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    that's called functional exercise which means daily activity levels.. so no i dont count it.

exercise is 30 min minimum of my heart rate being raised and working up a good sweat.

whether that's running, a dvd, whatever if i dont work up a sweat its not exercise.. if i dont feel that pain from a good burn its not exercise

this is what works for me,, do what works for you..

no i dont count going to the bathroom nj. or walking to the fridge either LOL
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    No. Cleaning is more of an activity level thing.