I need some advice as I'm totally lost o.0

Options
Ok I haven't been fit since I was about six or seven and then I really became lazy and didn't want or like to exercise. So now I am 233...the last I checked and am wanting to get in shape and stay in shape but I don't know how. Does anyone have any advice on what to do besides walking that will help me?

Replies

• Karen_LM
    Karen_LM Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I am sorry no one has answered you, and hope it hasnt discouraged you. Walking is an awfully good place to start, i lost 18 lbs just by HAVING to walk a mile twice a day for 6 months.

What kind of exercise do you think you have the time and space for?
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Start out slow/small. Walking is GREAT exercise and will do wonders for you.
  • bl1nk6
    bl1nk6 Posts: 175
    Options
    i would suggest filling in the food and exercise diary on here, it helps lots when you dont know what your doing. try it out it does work.

walking is a good start, you'd be surprised how much you burn off and tone up from waking a couple of hours a day.

Theres some great advice on here so get reading and i hope you get some advice off the more experienced people on here soon .

goodluck
  • amarisstorm
    amarisstorm Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Start logging what you eat. For me as soon as I did it became painfully obvious what would help. The first thing I cut was my soda pop intake. I was up to 5 or 6 a day. 900 calories and no nutrition useful to my body!

I couldn't walk as exercise when I first started because of really bad shin splints. I have really enjoyed using Just Dance on the X Box as exercise. When I was needing really low impact workouts I found some good things on blender.com, and enjoyed doing several yoga workouts. (at least the ones I could keep up with - there are some moves I just couldn't do.)
  • fitmomforu
    fitmomforu Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Good start both on the fitness and getting the extra support!

Ownership is a great place to start and log every tiny bite you have. It's a great way to really look back and see areas that need to be corrected or just the high five for a good day. Walking is a very good start:)
  • raindawg
    raindawg Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Start small and build up from there. Don't set a big gung ho goal from the get go that is an extreme change from where your mental state is right now. For example set the goal of walking, but instead of your initial goal being I'm gong to walk every day for at least an hour, make it at first three days a week for 10 or 15 minutes. It will be easier for you to achieve and you'll be establishing a routine. From there you can build on that to increase the amount of time walking and from there increasing the number of days a week. You'll have more success I believe building up to a level rather than jumping head first right into it and trying to maintain it.
  • siouxsie3278
    siouxsie3278 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    From someone who didn't like to exercise, I suggest joining an inexpensive gym. It's nice to get a variety and change it up every day to prevent boredom. Variety also helps to prevent a discouraging plateau since your body doesn't get too use to a routine and you keep it guessing.
  • melindareese
    melindareese Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Walking is how I started and logging in what you eat. If your craving something you can add to your list and see what that will do to your daily levels. Then it's easier to not eat it. I hate getting the negative red numbers. :)
  • ruby70
    ruby70 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    walking is great but if you could try to do some strength training with weights you will be amazed. It really changes your metabolism when you start building muscle. I just bought some adjustable weights and the Chalene Extreme DVD set. I was an investment I have done the 1st week but cannot already tell I build muscle in one week. Good Luck.:smile:
  • moronicbliss
    moronicbliss Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Find something you like to do and it will make your journey back to a fit you so much easier. I used my xbox kinect and a Dance Central game when I first started. It was just as fun as it was challenging for me and I found it pretty easy to pop it in everyday to burn calories.
  • highburygooner70
    Options
    All of the above. Start out slowly and build from there. If you are not running then walking is a great start. For me the biggest issue was getting in the habit of getting up and doing something. Try and keep a positive mindset that you will do it and take it from there, don't try and do too much at once. Good luck :-)
  • Saltfae
    Saltfae Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Take everything in baby steps. Make things into a routine. I dont have much advice to give, still trying to work out the kinks, almost 3 years later.
  • SexyPirate93
    Options
    Thanks for all of the advice. :) I think Im going to start dancing with my Just Dance game a little bit plus walking to start as I love to dance...well used to before I gained all this weight. :)
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    Find your TDEE. Eat 20% below that.
  • pmr545
    pmr545 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Pick out 5 or six of your favorite songs.... put them in a play list.... alternate slow song (warm-up), fast, Slow, fast, slow, fast.... and find a comfortable place to play the list and dance. I see dancing on many people's exercise lists. To get started, put in the slow songs to catch your breath and get your heart rate down a bit. Do this every day... then, when it becomes easy, change the music mix and mix it up.

Also... If you can get a heart rate monitor or a calorie counter you wear... do it... it's great seeing the number of calories burned as a number staring you in the face.

Don't get discouraged.... it's tough to start and you don't want to overdo it. Overdoing it leads to injury, setbacks and discouragement (I know from experience).
  • Sharonks
    Sharonks Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    If you can get a free trial to a gym you might want to use the week or two to try lots of different classes, equipment etc. Try to find the things you really like. You said you like to dance so find a gym that does Zumba, Jazzercize, HipHop or whatever sounds fun. The gym I used to had a pool and did water Zumba which is much easier on your joints. Even try things you didn't like when you were younger. I remember hating running although I always liked to walk. After high school I vowed never to run. At 45 I took it up again and am about to go do my long run this morning. Last week, my long run was 10 miles. Funny how your tastes change. I found I don't care much for the dancy stuff but like to lift heavy and do yoga too.

So find something you enjoy and go do it. As the weight comes off you will find it easier and easier to do things. Log your food. It will help you identify what you need to cut down on but not necessarily cut out. Good luck!
  • ihad
    ihad Posts: 7,463 Member
    Options
    This is one of the most important things you can read. Great, concise information from an informed, experienced, helpful person.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • LittleCulturedPearl
    LittleCulturedPearl Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I feel your pain! Weight loss is definitely a test in itself. Two months ago, I fell and injured my knees while running in the icy snow. I couldn't work out at all and it was difficult to even walk anywhere. I usually eat ~2000 calories/day, so without exercise a rapid blowup was inevitable. I lost several months of endurance training and pulled out of my March marathon plans.

I'm starting small to get back on track. It's really the only way to do it if you want long-lasting results. For exercise, I'm alternating-- running 4 days/wk, swimming 2 days/wk, and yoga once/wk. For diet, I cut 70% from my TDEE twice a week to increase my metabolism.

Good luck.
  • Salasel
    Salasel Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    You made the right choice you are starting out by joining here and keeping track of what you are really eating. Figure out your Base Metabolic Rate This is the amount of calories your body burns doing nothing. Its different for everyone. Then Keep it simple and just start by meeting your Nutrition/ Calorie goals on here. Once you have done that for a month Then start walking 2 to 3 times a week. Outside or treadmill is really up to you. Use a heart rate monitor to keep track of your body during the walking and work your way up to jogging. By Keeping to your Nutrition Goals and walking the pounds will start to fall off. A healthy goal is 1 to 2 pounds a week. Once walking/ Jogging becomes a habit then consider joining a Gym and take advantages of the classes or a trainer. having a good solid cardio base will allow you to take full advantage or what the gym has to offer.

Welcome! Good Luck and Keep at it you will meet your goal!
  • ElvenToad
    ElvenToad Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Hi I am new here, just started a few days ago. I have a lot of weight to lose, 135 lbs or so. I have set up my calorie goals by my height, weight, and age and that I want to lose 2 lbs per week. This is what I am doing. Logging every single calorie I eat, my workouts, and staying within my daily budgets for everything, calories, sodium, carbs etc. I wake up in the morning, get on my treadmill for 20 minutes at 3.0 mph which for me is fast and a challenge. I use my tablet for watching hulu or netflix so it distracts me and keeps my mind off what I am doing. Then I take a break sit down for a few minutes, have a low calorie breakfast. After another 30 min or so I get back on the treadmill and do another 20 minutes at 3.0 mph. I find this helps me meet my workout goal for the day much easier than trying to do it all at once! Oh and I drink a few glasses of water during the process too. Since I am trying to change my lifestyle and my eating habits this is working for me. Being able to see the math on the screen is helping me so much! I'm already down a few pounds but even if its just water weight it is still nice to see the scale moving in the right direction! Good luck :)