Belviq-Will it be safe or will I be sorry?

Options
My doctor gave me a prescription for Belviq, an appetite suppressive drug. I am a little apprehensive about taking it. The side effects that I have read about consist of headaches, lower heart rates, hallucinations, depression and mood changes. My question is, has anyone taken this with success, and when it comes to the mood changes and depression, what, if any did you experience? I already take a medication for anxiety, as well as depression. Any advice would be great!!! Thanks in advance!

Replies

• sue_langley
    sue_langley Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I too suffer from anxiety and depression and can be an emotional eater. So using something to curb my appetite is something i'm always researching. You could try different natural ways to curb appetite first. I do quite a few things that do help. One thing alone doesn't help. I found eating at least 2 cups of raw celery (or I like raw fennel tool) BEFORE each meal helps. I munch on it while preparing my meals. Eating high protein and good fats per meal help to satisfy. I take L-glutamine abd vega-sport chocolate protein between meals. I save a lot of my calories for the evening because I feel hungrier at night, not so hungry during the day. I eat all of my calories and all of my excercise calories ( I use a heart rate monitor to calculate them). I eat for my blood type which is an O. That has helped me a lot. Hope this helps. Keep researching too and you can share with us what u learn too. :-)
  • sayeamae
    sayeamae Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    H
  • MFPChloe
    MFPChloe Posts: 5
    Options
    I will start taking Belviq this Sunday, I have been taking an SSRI so my doctor wanted me to be off of that (and stay off) for 3 days before I start taking Belviq. I have heard really good things.

I plan on starting a blog about my weight and Belviq so I hope it works for me! :)
  • dclancy123
    Options
    Been taking Belviq since June 2013, no negative side effects, just positive, like lowers my blood pressure to normal level now, have been steady since losing over 25 lbs, can concentrate on a healthy diet without the need to constantly crave carbs.

Wife also taking it and she is on an SSRI, doctors have already found no problems with taking both drugs.

Wish you success, just make the commitment to lose and Belviq will help make that commitment easier.

BTW my pic is when I got started, I need to post a current one.
  • megsmom8816
    megsmom8816 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I started taking it four days ago. The headache seems to be diminishing. I am a bit concerned that it hasn't controlled my appetite better, but I do think it controls cravings. I am very hopeful, but I have a huge fear that I will not be a "responder". Does anyone know the percentage of people who are not?
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    As someone who has previously suffered anxiety and depression, I was told by not one but two leading psychiatrists that they would NEVER prescribe diet pills like Belviq to me as it would completely mess with my head. I've not been on any medications at all for 6 years now (so maybe things have changed?) but I'm not willing to take the risk even though GPs have offered me prescription drugs. My mental health isn't worth the risk :ohwell:
  • jrbecker76
    jrbecker76 Posts: 4
    Options
    That's actually a question I had for the Belviq users out there. I've read a number of posts around this site from Belviq users remarking that it affected their mood, anxiety and caused fatigue. Of course, I know there are quite a few others that didn't experience these particular side effects.

My doctor recommended I try it but I'm pretty certain it's not worth the risk of these potential side effects, especially since I already suffer from major depression. The product information on Belviq mentioned that overall levels of depression wasn't any more higher than placebo, but I also read that in terms of subjects who ended up quitting the trial, more of the Belviq subjects quit because of depression and anxiety than did those taking placebo.

I'm wondering if any of the Belviq users might be able to elaborate on the side effects you experienced, especially as it relates to any issues with mood and energy from it.
  • jen7eleven
    jen7eleven Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    A bit of a long post, but hopefully it will be helpful. I am taking Belviq as of today, so I will check in with the progress and side effects.

Note: I have type 2 diabetes and PCOS, so I am also on Bydureon, Metformin, and a low dose Lisinopril for good measure.

When I heard about Belviq, I talked to my doctor about it and whether or not it would be safe to add to my other meds. She agreed it would be worth trying, so she started me on half the dosage at first. I did not experience anything out of the ordinary. I tend to mindlessly eat/snack when I am bored, like my brain and stomach are telling me "Hey you're not doing anything, therefore you are hungry. You should eat something." While taking Belviq after breakfast, I felt like that little voice was gone during the day. But then from lunch to dinner, it would return to normal.

My only minor issue with Belviq is the cost. Thankfully with my primary insurance and a savings card/rebate from McKesson, it is more affordable.