Problems trying low carb diet

Options
I am hoping to drop a stone and a dress size (I am 5'2 and 9st 7lbs right now) so I tried this low carb diet for 2 days. The first 2 days went really well apart from some muscle weakness in my legs on the second day. I put my carbs down to 22g a day. However on the 3rd day I woke up feeling like death. My muscles felt extremely weak and I was sick, dizzy and shaky. I had to go to the bathroom to puke and I struggled even getting out of the bed. I can't be feeling ill because I have a 15 month old toddler to care for and things to do, otherwise I would have just stayed in bed, but instead I had a bowl of cornflakes and and felt better instantly.

I also found the cost very steep. My usual diet revolves around cheap staples which are basically carbs e.g rice, bread, pasta, lentils, tinned tomatoes, cheap frozen pizza, frozen vegetables, breakfast cereal ect. I do not generally eat a lot of meat, I sometimes go for several days without eating any and the only meats I like are chicken and sometimes beef (only off the bone bones freak me out) and I rarely buy fresh meat but on this diet I was eating this and found it to be extremely expensive compared to my usual diet. I spend over £30 on a few days worth of food for myself in Lidl as well where meat is cheaper than in most places and I would never be able to afford this long term. My main sources of protein are probably eggs and cheese. I am also not really a creative cook. I really don't enjoy complicated cooking with a big list of ingredients or buying things that you can't find cheap in the local supermarket. I am not one of these people who has interest in cooking or buying gourmet foods. I grew up on a very basic what I like to call a typical British working class diet and have only just recently tried some of the things I eat. I actually never knew what an avocado, a squash or a sweet potato was until I was 18 and moved out of my Mother's house. I grew up on Frey Bentos pies and corned beef hash with tinned peas and Bisto gravy and on frozen pre-prepared meals.

Problem is on my usual carb based diet I find weightloss quite difficult as I am hungry a lot, especially before bed. Usually by then I have used up my calories (I try and stick to 1,500 a day as I walk a lot and I am also still nursing my toddler and sometimes I end up going over).

Is this low carb thing just not for everyone? I also couldn't imagine sticking to it for the rest of my life. I only wanted to do it short term to lose a stone and then I would gradually add carbs again and eat at maintenance level.

Another problem is is that I find that my family are not very supportive. My partner just eats what he wants when he wants and keeps trying to discourage me from losing weight. I was a UK size 16 after having our daughter and he didn't even notice. He just kept on going to the corner shop and buying me bars of chocolate. He keeps on telling me that 'my weight should not matter since I have him and our daughter and do not need to impress anyone'. He told me that this low carb thing could kill me ect and that people had died from it and what I was doing was stupid.

Replies

• swaggityswagbag
    swaggityswagbag Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    It's common for low-carb diets to begin with this period of "feeling ill". A lot of people confuse that for "proof that low carb diets are bad!" The reality is that when you eat that few carbs, your body has to turn to something else for energy (fat), and the process of switching over from carbs to fat can be a little difficult. After a few days you should start to feel much better! If you're in ketosis, this is called "keto flu". It definitely ends. Low carb diets aren't for everyone, but there are honestly very few people who CAN'T do it. Most of the time if it fails, it's because you can't stick to it or you cheat. Pretty much only endurance athletes or people with special dietary restrictions struggle to do low carb for legitimate reasons.

If you do NOT think you can live without carbs no matter what (and I promise the carb cravings DO go away after a while), that's another situation in which you shouldn't do low carb, because if you keep that mentality you won't succeed. I've been low carb for about a year now (I consider it a lifestyle change, not a diet), so I do occasionally eat carb-y things, but for the most part low carb has made me feel better, stay more focused, and lose weight. Not only that, but going low carb has cured my chronic heartburn and helped me realize a gluten intolerance.

EDIT: check out reddit.com/r/keto for more info!
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    You may find the first week a bit difficult, but once you have adapted your energy and cravings are easy to deal with.

That said not everyone is suited to low carb .

If you feel it's too much of a stretch for you then keep with a higher carb diet.

Eat in a deficit and you will loss weight.

Good luck
  • little_firebug
    little_firebug Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    That sounds horrible! When I cut out bread/grain/sugar I had headaches for about a week but that was the worst of it. Its hard when your partner isn't supportive but if you stick it out I'm certain you'll feel a thousand times better and the weight will start melting off as well. I ate a lot of eggs when I was first starting out--they always curbed the intense hunger I got from cutting out the carbs and were quick and easy. I recommend keeping a few hard-boiled ones in the fridge. It's tough to avoid carbs if they're lying around but soon enough you won't even crave them any more and you will likely feel so good you won't remember what was so great about them in the first place! There are so many good books and research coming out on the subject as well that probably have better suggestions than I do. Good luck! Hope you feel better soon!
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Why make it so complicated you don't have to drop carbs to lose weight. You really don't have to suffer if your finding it difficult you are unlikely to stick with it long term / Just eat at a calorie deficit and just try and eat more fresh and whole foods.
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    low carb diets are pretty lame. I must eat at least 100 grams a die because I am diabetic & my sugar falls low if my carbs are low.....
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    If low carb is not in your budget and you don't feel well then don't do it. There is not such thing as bad foods. Carbs are not bad, fats are not bad, protein is not bad, etc.

If you set up MFP to lose 1lb a week and a reasonable calorie deficit, then buy a digital food scale to start weighing all of your solid food and measuring all of your liquids, and tracking your calories in your diary you should lose weight. If/when you add exercise invest in a heart rate monitor with a chest strap, especially for steady state cardio to track your calories burned and eat at least half of those calories back or all of them.

Read this http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

It will help you set up a reasonable calorie deficit and macro set up if you do not want to eat a low carb diet. There are many successful people on here who have done many different plans. You just need to figure out what's best for you, financially, emotionally, and physically. Good luck.
  • LaShunna
    LaShunna Posts: 3
    Options
    Hi there...I know what you mean about not really wanting to cook foods that are complicated; i like to keep it simple as well. However, you may really want to consider expanding your repertoire to make the experience a little more enjoyable.

Also, you may want to add a little carbs back...like oatmeal, quinoa or brown rice. Just stay away from the refined stuff and eat at a calorie deficit (as other users have suggested).

I wish you all the luck in the world.

BTW: I find it odd that your partner doesn't want you to lose weight...even from a health standpoint. I have my own thoughts on that, but I'll keep them to myself. You just continue doing what you're doing for YOU. You have to be healthy for your baby.
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    Why fix what isn't broken? Your post from two days ago:
    TOPIC: Is it about Calories or Good/Bad Foods? Fri 02/28/14 12:51 PM
    The eating what I want but counting calories thing has always worked for me. The only issue with this is is that many junk foods will not fill you up. On days where I have chosen to eat 100g of chocolate I have to be prepared to spend most of the day hungry but I have still lost. Just make sure you take a multivitamin if like me you don't want to eat vegetables or fruit every day. Make sure you get one with antioxidants. Bassetts soft and chewy have these in. Don't get me wrong I do not dislike these foods but often I want to use my calories to have a small pizza instead or some chocolate spread on toast. If something is boring I won't stick to it.

There were a few other posts you made that gave good advice to others regarding eating what you want at a calorie deficit. Take your own advice and stick with it :)
  • fushigi1988
    fushigi1988 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Low carb does not work for me, I have a quite active job, if my carbs are too low I get dizzy.
    You can still have carbs, just fit it into your daily calorie nipeeds, a low carb diet is not THE weightloss solution.
    I'm slowly losing on 300-400 grams carbs per day
  • AwesomeGuy37
    AwesomeGuy37 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Unless you are diabetic and trying to control blood sugar without medicine, then low carb diets are not really necessary. Even with my diabetes I eat about 70-100 carbs throughout the day. There is no need for a commercial diet like Paleo, South Beach or Atkins to lose weight. A calorie deficit will drop weight off of you.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options
    Unless you are diabetic and trying to control blood sugar without medicine, then low carb diets are not really necessary. Even with my diabetes I eat about 70-100 carbs throughout the day. There is no need for a commercial diet like Paleo, South Beach or Atkins to lose weight. A calorie deficit will drop weight off of you.

I'm going to have to disagree with this Awesome Guy.

It's personal choice and not everyone's cup of tea, but IMO (that's the disclaimer), everyone would be healthier on a smaller amount of carbs and secreting less insulin.

Carbs have there place in life, but it should be the smallest calorie portion on the plate and not the largest. :smile:
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    I understand the concern about the higher cost of non-carby foods.

You could still go low-ish carb, if it's something that appeals to you. There's high protein carbs like lentils and beans that are very, very cheap. Add in a couple fruit and a couple servings of vegies, and that's more than enough complex carbs for your brain.
  • lrmall01
    lrmall01 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Remember that in the context of a low carb diet you should be tracking NET carbs. With the proper selection of vegetables you can actually get quite a lot for not very many carbs.

For example, 22g NET carbs of spinach, broccoli, cauliflower, and zuchinni will be quite a lot.

BTW when I say NET carbs, I mean the carbs minus fiber.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    The first few days of low-carb can be pretty tough. If that's your excuse to give up after two days, more power to you. Everyone has to find what works for them. I am not sure I agree with you about the cost being higher. Our household, two adults doing very low carb and one kid eating more standard fare, has seen a reduction in our food bill by about $100-$125 a week. We're spending less on processed junk, treats, eating out, and everything else that we used to blow money on. That's just us. Your mileage may vary. If you were subsisting on rice and beans or other super-cheap mostly-empty calories, I have no doubt you'll see a cost increase.

It also doesn't take culinary skills to cook most of the food. Season the steak, throw it under the broiler, cut in half and serve with microwaved veggies. This isn't Top Chef. Most other foods have similar levels of difficulty. If you learned to master cooking rice without having it turn out crunchy or burning it to the bottom of the pan, you should have an easy time with all the skills needed to cook low carb. Veggies and meat are a lot more forgiving when over/under cooked.

But, like I said, if this isn't for you then don't do it.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options

It's personal choice and not everyone's cup of tea, but IMO (that's the disclaimer), everyone would be healthier on a smaller amount of carbs and secreting less insulin.

Carbs have there place in life, but it should be the smallest calorie portion on the plate and not the largest. :smile:
    70-100 is fewer carbs and less insulin. I agree with you thought that everyone would b e a little healthier embracing a higher protein diet........the only point I'll make is that going very low (ketosis) generally has little/no benefit over a low carb diet if satiety has been met successfully.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

70-100 is fewer carbs and less insulin. I agree with you thought that everyone would b e a little healthier embracing a higher protein diet........the only point I'll make is that going very low (ketosis) generally has little/no benefit over a low carb diet if satiety has been met successfully.

You'll struggle hitting ketosis eating a whooping 70 - 100g of carbs. I average about 100g and I'm nowhere near. I only ever seem to dip into ketosis every now and again when I'm doing a few full days IF. I'm not a big fan of ketosis (not for any health reasons, just personal choice).

I mainly eat in about a 9 - 10 hour window - no set schedule - just eat when I'm hungry, which is never before mid day.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options

You'll struggle hitting ketosis eating a whooping 70 - 100g of carbs. I average about 100g and I'm nowhere near. I only ever seem to dip into ketosis every now and again when I'm doing a few full days IF. I'm not a big fan of ketosis (not for any health reasons, just personal choice).

I mainly eat in about a 9 - 10 hour window - no set schedule - just eat when I'm hungry, which is never before mid day.
    OK, I thought you were an advocate of ketosis.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options
    No, just an advocate of burning ketones:smile:
  • sandign
    sandign Posts: 56
    Options
    As everyone has said, the first week or two of low carb is the worst. I'm low carb but most people would think I'm not. I try to stay at about 90 a day. I've had to eliminate certains carbs such as breads, potatoes and pasta. All of them seem to spike my blood sugars. I've found a couple of gluten free pastas but I have to eat them in moderation.

I've learned to drink a smoothie once a day that allows me to add more veggies that I would normally eat. I've eliminated processed foods and haven't drank sodas in a few years. (Well, maybe a couple) I really don't miss them. I have one cup of coffee in the morning and then drink water. If I need to add sugar to anything (which I try to avoid doing) I use a small amt of stevia. Doesn't seem to spike my blood sugars at all.

My weight came off quickly at first but it has slowed down now, which doesn't surprise me. As long as I continue with at least a 1/2 lbs a week I will be happy.

Yes, I find it is more expensive to shop (doesn't make sense that eating healthy should cost more) but as soon as spring hits I'm planting a garden. That will help my budget.

If going on a strict really low carb is not for you, start slow and eliminate heavy carbs first. TWeigh you food also. It's amazing when we think we are eating a small amt and yet if it is weighed you are amazed that it's more than you think.

Good luck on your journey.
  • 1meeks123
    1meeks123 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    You can afford low carb! That was my excuse for years. We have five teenagers so we are a large family of four (mostly boys). They inhale food. So I cooked spaghetti and ogher cheap meals, runs to mcdonalds dollar menus, corn dogs, sandwiches and frozen pizzas. That is what we ate every day. Along with cookies and drinks. Its a wonder my kids are even decently healthy.

But I was sitting at close to 240 pounds, tired, sluggish with the start of chosterol problems.

Then I went low carb. I mean.... fresh foods!!!! Nothing canned. I buy four heads of lettuce a week and eat salads daily. I make my own dressings and they are better than anything I have ever tasted. I cook a ham in the crock pot once a week and we eat off it for days. I actually cook most meats in the crock pot. I eat eggs every single morning and now cook vegetables like zucchini.

Can you believe that our grocery bill has been cut in half??? We dont eat out and who knew we would save money that way. We dont eat as much food since its more filling. No one craves sweets anymore. I have lost 35 pounds in 7 weeks. Dropped three dress sizes and my blood work was checked the other day. My dr cannot believe how great it is.

Yes you do feel bad for the first week. Its your bidy wanting sugar. Once it stops you will have so much energy!

I dont know where you are from but here lettuce is a dollar a head and eggs are less than two for 12. I can get fresh mushrooms that last me one week for the price of can mushrooms that last one day.

Don't give up. If you need help or support we are here for you!