Eating below my BMR, is this right?

Options
Ok I'm confused.... They say not to eat below your BMR, yet if I go by either MFP method or TDEE-20%, I am eating below my BMR. My BMR is 1804, MFP says to eat 1700cal, TDEE-20% is 1730cal. What do I do???

My stats are Female, 32 years old, 113.6kg (250.4lbs), 158cm (5'2"). I have been calculating at little to no exercise as I generally sit behind a computer all day. It has only been recently I have started doing more exercise on a stationary bike and walking 3 times a week.

Really not sure how to set my calories, can anyone offer some advice please???

Replies

• lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    If MFP says to eat 1700 and that's what you're going by, you should consume that many. If you exercise, it'll tell you to eat what you burned in addition, because MFP already calculates how many calories you need to eat to lose weight.
  • scrumdidlly
    scrumdidlly Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I thought your BMR was how much you have to eat to maintain your current weight. I could be wrong.
  • Ortax
    Ortax Posts: 98
    Options
    Who said not to eat below your BMR? That's just stupid.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    It's not a huge issue now because you have adequate fat reserves. As you become more lean, it's important to reduce your deficit. Also, as you lose weight, it's not uncommon for your metabolic rate to adapt and burn less calories merely because your body doesn't need as much muscle to manage itself. YOu can minimize the amount of muscle and metabolic adaptation that occurs by eating about 1g of protein per lb of lean body mass and resistance training. For now, I would just up protein, incorporate resistance training and don't stress it.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I thought your BMR was how much you have to eat to maintain your current weight. I could be wrong.

Nope, BMR is how many calories you burn if you slept 24 hours. TDEE is how many calories you burn in a day or aka maintenance calories.
  • silken555
    silken555 Posts: 477 Member
    Options

No, that would be your TDEE. BMR is the amount your body needs just to function.
  • tm82001
    tm82001 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Use this http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/ and answer the 6 questions. Eat the amount of calories listed where is states "Daily calories based on goal in step 6". Good luck!
  • Spacegirlley
    Spacegirlley Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Thanks tm82001, had a look at that one, it says to eat 1731 Cal.

Good advice psulemon, thank you.

I will try the 1700 cal method from MFP and see how I go. I switched the calorie limit over yesterday and dropped down 0.6kg in one day, but that could just be normal fluctuations.
  • FearlessEquestrian
    FearlessEquestrian Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Sticking to your BMR I believe is best. You get a decent amount of calorie intake, and you should be eating at a maintenance level. If your throw in extra exercises, you can always eat more, or save those calories so you will be eating less than what you burn, which means you will lose weight :smile:
  • Muddy_Yogi
    Muddy_Yogi Posts: 1,459 Member
    Options
    I think you calculated something wrong. 20% below your TDEE should not be below your BMR and if it is...you shouldn't reduce by that much. Your body needs a minimum calorie count to function and that is your BMR. Don't eat below it.
  • Spacegirlley
    Spacegirlley Posts: 80 Member
    Options
  • Muddy_Yogi
    Muddy_Yogi Posts: 1,459 Member
    Options
    Sticking to your BMR I believe is best. You get a decent amount of calorie intake, and you should be eating at a maintenance level. If your throw in extra exercises, you can always eat more, or save those calories so you will be eating less than what you burn, which means you will lose weight :smile:

Please educate yourself before giving advice.