Is maintaining weight, just as hard as losing weight?

Options

Replies

• nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    No. You do the same thing with a few more calories. I didn't feel deprived in weight loss. I don't feel deprived now.

The nice thing about maintenance is that I wished weight loss would go faster - I just wanted it OFF. But it was rewarding to see the pounds go. Now it's just nice to look in the mirror.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    I like these threads as it's always interesting to see how people's experiences differ. It seems to me there are two main things that affect how easy maintenance will be. One is how you approach the weight loss phase - how restrictive you are, how much you make it a genuine lifestyle change vs a temporary diet etc. The other thing is whether you are someone who has battled weight for many years, possibly with disordered eating patterns, emotional eating etc, or whether you're someone who has many years of healthy habits to fall back on, who just happened to gain weight following injury/pregnancy/slowing of metabolism etc.

For me, maintenance has been quite a lot harder than losing weight.

Firstly, as others have mentioned, there is the fact that when you are maintaining, there are no longer the reward cues that you get when losing - you no longer see changes on the scale, see yourself differently in the mirror, get compliments and comments form people, feel your clothes fitting differently etc. Changes still happen, but they're much more subtle. So, that can be hard and for a lot of people, they find it hard to sustain the motivation to keep putting the effort in when there is no regular reward like there was before. You need to really learn to appreciate/love the reward of being healthy, being fit, being slim etc. It's hard to work hard to basically stay the same, so you've really got to want to stay the same. It helps to learn to love health and fitness and how they feel - and not just be concerned about being a certain weight/size.

It's also really helpful to continue to make goals to keep that momentum going. These can be fitness goals, like running a certain distance, or pace, or lifting a certain weight, or learning a new dance step or yoga pose or whatever. Participating in races etc.

You also need to accept that a lot of the stuff you need to do to keep in shape is pretty boring, and that's just how it is. Logging your food (if you choose to continue) and working out becomes just part of your daily routine, like brushing your teeth and food shopping. Not exciting, but necessary.

For me, the lack of excitement in the maintenance phase is something that you get used to. It's the first hurdle in a way, once you get used to it no longer being exciting, and carry on anyway… you've a good chance of succeeding at maintenance.

The second thing that I've struggled with in maintenance is the emotional eating side. I have struggled with emotional over-eating since I was a young child, and it's not something that has completely gone away. It is under control now, but it's something that I'll probably always deal with. I think a lot of people assume that once you've lost the weight, problems like that disappear. A lot of times, they don't. So, in maintenance, I get a few more calories to play with, but I still need to be vigilant about my intake. I'm not someone who will be able to stop logging my food, at least not in the near future. I need the structure. In a way, going into maintenance messed with my head a bit because weirdly enough, I feel more restricted now than when I was at a calorie deficit. At a deficit, you always have a bit o wiggle room. If you go over a bit, it doesn't matter because you'll still be at a deficit. Even if you go over by a lot, you're probably still at a deficit for the week. In maintenance, you can't do that, at least not often. So, even though I have more calories, I need to be more careful about not going over. I just find it a whole lot less stressful to eat at a deficit than in maintenance. Occasionally, I can understand wanting to just give up and not think about how much you're eating and just let the weight creep back on. However, being a healthy weight, and being fit, are totally worth the extra stress.

tl;dr
    Maintenance can be a lot harder for some people, especially if you have emotional eating issues or other disordered eating, or have struggled with weight your whole life. Make it easier by living in the weight loss phase the way you can realistically live the rest of your life (ie not crazy restrictive changes). But, even if you do everything right and build good healthy habits, it still might be really hard.
  • gregpack
    gregpack Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Two years post weight loss. It is easier because you get to eat and enjoy.

What helped me most was reducing exercise to a sustainable amount. Daily trips tot he gym were keeping me struggling with my weight and hunger. My cravings went down when I dialed down the routine designed to improve health, not burn calories for the sake of burning calories, plus I had more free time.

I eat a rather monotonous, lower calorie diet two meals out of three every day. At dinner I relax a little and have pretty much what I want.

I still step on the scale every day to keep me in check, but don't log unless I'm dieting.
  • spoiledpuppies
    spoiledpuppies Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I think it can be for all of the reasons others have shared. But for me the key is actually enjoying my life as it is. I like eating healthy foods. I like being fit--and going to the gym to get it. I like working toward fitness goals. I like knowing that I can participate in pretty much any physical event/activity that comes up. I think that for someone who just did these things in order to lose weight but actually hates them, it would be really hard. I do wish my husband had gotten on board with me (still hoping!) because that would make it easier and we could have my fun together!

I definitely weigh in every day and expect to for the rest of my life. (It keeps me mindful--and still a little proud!--right from the start of each day!)
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I like these threads as it's always interesting to see how people's experiences differ. It seems to me there are two main things that affect how easy maintenance will be. One is how you approach the weight loss phase - how restrictive you are, how much you make it a genuine lifestyle change vs a temporary diet etc. The other thing is whether you are someone who has battled weight for many years, possibly with disordered eating patterns, emotional eating etc, or whether you're someone who has many years of healthy habits to fall back on, who just happened to gain weight following injury/pregnancy/slowing of metabolism etc.

*** SNIP ****

For me, maintenance has been quite a lot harder than losing weight.

Maintenance can be a lot harder for some people, especially if you have emotional eating issues or other disordered eating, or have struggled with weight your whole life. Make it easier by living in the weight loss phase the way you can realistically live the rest of your life (ie not crazy restrictive changes). But, even if you do everything right and build good healthy habits, it still might be really hard.

I think your observations are excellent in general, but particularly about how people who had always had weight trouble and eating issues still struggling in maintenance v. people who hadn't had issues in particular, but had become overweight for various situational reasons. Interesting thoughts.
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Depending on the way you look at it, it can be harder or it can be easier. It takes time to get the hang of maintenance. The biggest difference with maintenance is that if you weigh yourself weekly, and if you see the scale go up a little, you know how to lose those extra pounds.

For me, when I hit maintenance, I changed the way I focused on goals. Now, for me, it is about improving myself. I want to be stronger and faster, so I focus on those goals now. Nutrition and food intake are still as important, but now I worry about my macros, getting enough vitamins, and my workout stats more than what the scale says.

But when I gain a little too much or my pants feel too tight, it's a lot easier to nip it in the bud before it gets out of hand.
  • Penfoldsplace
    Options
    Although I have a little more I want to lose, I have maintained a 60 pound weight loss for quite a while now. I find it fairly easy to maintain. I tended to track my calories like I did before, but would have the odd day or two a week where I ate what I wanted without tracking, which for me seemed to work out at maintenance. I'm back to tracking everyday now, but having this break makes me feel that maintenance will not be too painful (fingers crossed :) ).
  • STLBADGIRL
    STLBADGIRL Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    I think about this all the time. So glad you asked!

I'm on my journey and with the help of myfitnesspal.com am getting there much more effectively. I hope you meet your goal and successfully and healthily maintain it forever!

Try this site: http://www.thinandhealthyforever.com/CalorieRequirement.asp

I've been meaning to google, "How many calories to maintain 125 lbs" and it came up, along with some other really helpful sites.

Either way, the suggestion was 1,849 calories a day (for my height and age), which is about 500 more calories than I'm consuming now daily. That makes a lot of sense and I think will be easy to add in. But I want to be careful to make them smart calories, you know? Like whole wheat pasta or something (I've cut processed sugars and refined carbs).

Plus, I plan to continue logging my daily calories for several months (or maybe indefinitely!) to keep me in check.

All the suggestions you've gotten are so helpful! Again, I hope we both reach our goals and keep them for life!
    Thank you! I have to meet it. Losing weight has taught me that I can do anything I put my mind to!
  • salvyhead
    salvyhead Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    For me, more difficult. However as with most things in life it's all about point of view. After I first hit my goal - it's such a big achievement, I kind of had the idea I was 'finished.' I breathed a sigh of relief, stopped counting/measuring and thought I could maintain without dieting. Big mistake. Gained six pounds in about six minutes. (I exaggerate, but it was quick.)

Realized - I'll never be 'finished.' It's a life long commitment. My TDEE is as low as it's been in years. And it's only going to continue to drop as I age. So I have found success by changing my attitude. I don't think of it as 'maintaining,' really. I'm just doing what I did to lose the 31 - with a slightly higher daily calorie goal.

Maintaining is about 1) finding your true maintenance number. Everybody's is different and the online calculators can only be considered a rough guideline. Most of us have found our actual TDEE by trial and error experience and 2) Continuing to do what you did to make your goal, using the updated TDEE. That's pretty much it, imho.

The thing that keeps me sane is the weekly summary you can see on your smartphone. (Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think there's a way to get that online?) That gray bar is my sanity. I know I can 'cheat' for lack of a better word two or even three days a week and as long as I stay disciplined the other days, that gray bar almost never hits the red line. In fact this past week was the first week I went over in 2014 and only by a few hundred calories.

Good luck and oongrats on making your goal.
  • gsgitu
    gsgitu Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    it is only as hard as you want to make it. all the trial and error and learning i have done over the past year has made it easy. i know what i need to do. still eat the same as when losing, just a few hundred more cals. wanna cut a few lb's, cut a few hundred cals. if i am going to eat big for a holiday or b-day i just throw in a couple 24 hr fast/500 cal days. boom, deficit. if you didn't learn anything during your weight loss that you can apply to your weight maintenance to make life easier, dare i ask, why? learn something about what your body needs and when during your weight loss to make life easier when maintaining.
  • addean1
    addean1 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I haven't found maintenance to be harder, I like having more calories to work with. I think the key for me is I still have to track, and will track for the rest of my life. I have plenty of calories for treats when I want them. I do still have goals I want to accomplish they are just not "lbs on a scale" kinds of goals. I have my first 10k next weekend, I'm Currently training for my first half marathon, and doing my 5th triathlon in August.
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    My DH joined MediFast to lose 50 pounds - which he did, without cheating (seriously, he did not cheat), in three months. Twenty percent of his body weight.

But that is not my point. The MediFast program has you pay up front for their counseling and testing for the entirety of (1) the time they expect it to take for you to lose the weight and (2) a full year of transition/maintenance. DH lost the weight much faster than expected, so he is getting a refund for those weeks, but will meet with them weekly for another 51 weeks to make sure he adopts healthier, sustainable habits.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    it is only as hard as you want to make it. all the trial and error and learning i have done over the past year has made it easy. i know what i need to do. still eat the same as when losing, just a few hundred more cals. wanna cut a few lb's, cut a few hundred cals. if i am going to eat big for a holiday or b-day i just throw in a couple 24 hr fast/500 cal days. boom, deficit. if you didn't learn anything during your weight loss that you can apply to your weight maintenance to make life easier, dare i ask, why? learn something about what your body needs and when during your weight loss to make life easier when maintaining.
    Maybe read some of the other posts and learn about why some people find it more difficult than others? :flowerforyou:
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    As someone said, I know already it's going to be harder because you can't just say 'oh it's ok if I eat a bit more today, I'll just lose a bit less this month'. I already know it's going to be a tough mindset for me... even if I should be able to eat more overall. Also makes it harder for cheat days, unless you purposely decrease your goal the rest of the time.
  • rdcalk
    rdcalk Posts: 1
    Options
    There tend to be two groups, those whose metabolism is resistant, damaged from dieting, and others, whose metabolism returns to normal and makes it possible to lose weight as a few pounds come back. I am unfortunately in the former group and have been fighting for three years. I have lost 5 lbs, and looking to lose 45# more. If I had known I would have had the DS,instead of the sleeve!
  • fificrazy
    fificrazy Posts: 234
    Options
    If you can't maintain your weight without restriction, then you're not meant to be that weight!

Restriction can lead to a lifetime of health problems if the damage is never addressed- osteoporosis, hypothyroid issues, blood pressure issues, hair loss, really the list goes on and on. Basically any symptom of starvation and malnutrition.

A non-restrictive eater should be able to maintain on 2,500 calories with a sedentary lifestyle. Everyone has their own weight set point- like you have your own foot size, hand size, etc. and respecting that is what contributes to a longer, complication-free life (aka HEALTH.)
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    If you can't maintain your weight without restriction, then you're not meant to be that weight!

Restriction can lead to a lifetime of health problems if the damage is never addressed- osteoporosis, hypothyroid issues, blood pressure issues, hair loss, really the list goes on and on. Basically any symptom of starvation and malnutrition.

A non-restrictive eater should be able to maintain on 2,500 calories with a sedentary lifestyle. Everyone has their own weight set point- like you have your own foot size, hand size, etc. and respecting that is what contributes to a longer, complication-free life (aka HEALTH.)

Lol if only everyone could maintain on 2500 calories being sedentary... Thats just not possible, especially for girls. I maintain on 1500-1600 when I'm being lazy, but I'm only 5'1 and 105lbs...thats very normal for a lot of us.
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    Depends on what habits you instill while losing weight. If its all self hazing and zero tolerance than you'll probably fail. If you actually learned to ration things and eat balanced filling meals then it should be fine.
  • BabyfaceFaison
    Options
    Really good way to look at it. @Joebob8
  • csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    I'd say it requires as much dedication as losing, but not that it's as hard.

The BIG thing is to realize you're going to exist in a weight RANGE, not at a specific number. That's where I think it might be a little easier, because you have some more wiggle room, including some more freedom to eat more on special days.

Plus, you're then able to say "oops, I'm 'over / under' eating and going 'up / down' more than I want from my target", and need only SMALL adjustments to get back to where you want to be.

But I would say you still need to put in the same basic amount of work when it comes to counting calories and logging exercise.