Talk to me about juicing...

Options
I know very little about juicing but am interested in including more raw foods in my diet. As I am not a huge fan of the flavor of most raw veggies, juicing seems like a good alternative for me to start with. First question: Is it possible to juice w/o a juicer? I do at least have a blender. Second: Aside from possibly losing some of the fiber, does juicing negatively impact the benefits derived from raw foods? Third: Can the "juice" be stored in the fridge or do I have to make it fresh every time? 4. What are your favorite fruit / veggie juice combinations? (Bonus points for Berry- or Citrus-flavors, which I love!)

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Fruit & veg are largely water and a juicer separates out most of the water based part - about 2/3 juice to 1/3 pulp on average. Soluble fibre (like pectin from apples) goes with the juice.

You can make a smoothie with a blender, but not a juice. Some things don't juice anyway - avocado, banana etc.

Yes it'll keep in the fridge or you can freeze it. Probably some slow loss of nutrient values but that's all.

Lemon & ginger with apple makes a wakeup shot.
  • OverDoIt
    OverDoIt Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I just add a bit of water and put all of my fruits and or veggies in a blender. That way you get everything you put into the blender back out of the blender. Juicers only really extract leaving not only nutrients but also leaves you more mess to clean up. i would recommend a 1hp blender or higher. A vitamix is the Rolex of blenders if you have money burning a hole in your pocket. BTW I hate eating vegetables it takes too much time and effort. Drink and be merry.