Runners - Vibram Five Fingers?

Options
BerryH
BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
Hi all, I'm a bit of as lapsed runner ready to ramp it up again. After a series of injuries I swapped my running style to Chi-running inspired mid-foot landing. I generally run in racing flats so I'm used to minimal heel elevation.

My friend who runs several marathons a year swears by Vibram Five Fingers for preventing injuries. They're usually out of my price range but Sport Pursuit has them half price.

Do any of you lovely MFP runners have any experience of them and would you recommend them? I've heard you should buy a size bigger, is that right?

Replies

• _db_
    _db_ Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I love my VFF EL-X. I also think running in minimalist shoes can reduce injuries by improving running form. I will not buy VFFs without trying them on first...again. I have a pair of 43 KMD Sport LS sitting unused because I trusted the size chart on Vibram's site when I ordered a deeply discounted and non-returnable pair online.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Do you have a place where you can get fitted for running shoes?

From various experienced runners here, it seems the best way to figure it out is either give a try or get fitted. Some runners swear by vibrams while others were unable to work with them despite getting fitted for them.
  • DamianaKitten
    DamianaKitten Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I love mine, but can't run in them. If you're used to minimalist shoes while running, you would probably be fine in them. Since I'm 1) out of shape and 2) not conditioned for barefoot and 3) would have to recondition myself to regular shoe running in basic I don't run in mine. I do wear them every where I go, though. :smile:
  • Supadoopafly
    Supadoopafly Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Love love love mine. Got mine fitted, but would feel confident ordering them online now, because I know what fits.

Excellent for squatting and other heavy lifting.
  • TomZot
    TomZot Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Love mine. They changed everything. I now have about 12 pairs. I have worn them for running exclusively for almost 4 years. No more prescription orthotics.

I would suggest you go to a store and get measured for your first pair. After that you can always buy them on the internet.
  • IronmanNYC
    IronmanNYC Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Yes, many people swear by them. I personally know some people who have run Ironman marathons in them. On the other hand, my physical therapist told me he loves them because they keep increasing his business as people get injured by them.

In any case, gotta ease into them.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Based on your overwhelmingly positive reviews, I'm just about to click order!