Anyone giving up something for lent?

Options

Replies

• skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    What is lent!?

The traditional purpose of Lent is the preparation of the believer through prayer, penance, repentance of sins, almsgiving, atonement and self-denial. Its institutional purpose is heightened in the annual commemoration of Holy Week, marking the death, burial and resurrection of Jesus, which recalls the tradition and events of the New Testament beginning on Friday of Sorrows, further climaxing on Jesus' crucifixion on Good Friday, which ultimately culminates in the joyful celebration on Easter Sunday of the Resurrection of Jesus Christ.

weird.

i thought it was the past-tense of lending something to someone.
  • TattooedNici
    TattooedNici Posts: 2,141 Member
    Options
    Yeah, 30 more lbs hopefully LOL

THIS!!!
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    What is lent!?

The traditional purpose of Lent is the preparation of the believer through prayer, penance, repentance of sins, almsgiving, atonement and self-denial. Its institutional purpose is heightened in the annual commemoration of Holy Week, marking the death, burial and resurrection of Jesus, which recalls the tradition and events of the New Testament beginning on Friday of Sorrows, further climaxing on Jesus' crucifixion on Good Friday, which ultimately culminates in the joyful celebration on Easter Sunday of the Resurrection of Jesus Christ.

^hahahahhahahaha

I thought it was the stuff from the dryer and you people were weird...

I think that's lint . . .um, got some here in ma belly button. Anyone want it?

I'm a giver . . .
  • Of_Monsters_and_Meat
    Of_Monsters_and_Meat Posts: 1,022 Member
    Options
    For those of you wondering this is dryer lint prepared in an egg carton:

001.JPG
  • Of_Monsters_and_Meat
    Of_Monsters_and_Meat Posts: 1,022 Member
    Options
    I am Catholic. For lent I will be giving up leering, ogling and creeping on girls at the gym.
  • loubidy
    loubidy Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    See my ticker :)

I'm giving the scale because I've gotten a little addicted to weighing myself recently and I know I'm due a plateau and thats going to demotivate me.
  • TattooedNici
    TattooedNici Posts: 2,141 Member
    Options
    Giving up lint for Lent.
  • Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    I am Catholic. For lent I will be giving up leering, ogling and creeping on girls at the gym.

Oh come on, pick something you can stick with more than one day!
  • bigmamabird
    bigmamabird Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I'm giving up sweets like cookies, ice cream, candy and such. With one exception. My husband's birthday is during Lent and I will allow myself cake at his party.
  • eddiesmith1
    eddiesmith1 Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    I give up stuff all year round, I'll stick with doing that.

^^^^^Yep me too - In the last year I've Given up Smoking (7 months) and Drinking (11 Weeks) and I've gone on a weight loss regime Sorry Lent nothing to give at this point :tongue:
  • Angelademmans
    Options
    Some really good ideas!!!
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Isn't what you decide to give up supposed to be just between you and God?

Pretty much this. :ohwell:
  • zivasak
    zivasak Posts: 88
    Options
    LENT: Let's Eliminate Negative Thoughts !
  • kathleennf
    kathleennf Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Some really good ideas!!!

I totally agree!!
    I vary it every year, but I often try to do something specifically spiritual and something more charitable. The "traditional" Lent practices are three: prayer, giving alms and fasting. Since I have been on MFP so long I have decided recently to not add another type of "giving up food" other than trying to stick to my plan - which I think is penitential in and of itself. I am focusing on praying a little better and on helping out other people more in little things each day.
  • SpursGirl2013
    SpursGirl2013 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm giving up dessert-type foods (cookies, cakes, pies, puddings, sugar sweetened breads, candy, etc). These food are a definite weakness for me.
  • dlbredesen
    dlbredesen Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    religion!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Roz2889
    Roz2889 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    A week in, how is everyone doing? I'm not finding it too hard so far, think it's only going to get more difficult though!
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I gave up salad, but I didn't wait for a holiday. I like to start good ideas immediately.
  • trizzletrix
    trizzletrix Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I gave up chocolate (but only the solid form - I love my nightly hot chocolate) and crisps :)

I didn't eat too much of them before Lent but it's nice to have a challenge, and I will enjoy the little bit of chocolate I eat on Easter sunday even more now.