Dislocated knee cap.

Options
On Saturday, I was on one of those inflated jump castles bouncing around and having fun. It was wet because there was an inflatable water slide nearby, and people would go back and forth. As I was jumping around, I slipped. My body went one way and my lower leg went another. My knee cap dislocated and immediately relocated in place. It hurt like hell. It didn't swell up and I still have complete movement. When I put weight on it hurt until i took some ibuprofen yesterday. Today it doesn't hurt, but it just feels kinda weird.

I was on my third day on p90x, and missed my forth because of it. Is it fine to keep going with my exercise, or should I relax for a bit more just to make sure it heals properly?

Replies

• dawn_eichert
    dawn_eichert Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    I have had horrible problems with my knees dislocating. You need to let the muscles head or you can very easily dislocate it again. Only my opinion and I am no doctor but I would take it easy and be very careful.
    Good Luck
  • ivyjbres
    ivyjbres Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I've never had just my knee cap dislocate, but I've had both knees out of socket numerous times (I quit counting at 5; I'm clumsy and I snowboard, so bad combination, but its still fun...) Take it easy and go for lower impact workouts for about a week, then work back up. There shouldn't be any lasting damage as long as you don't re-injure it. Mostly when you dislocate a joint, its like pulling a muscle. You can still do weight training, just don't over do it, make sure the joint stays stable as you lift; weight machines are best when you're injured, or make sure you have a spotter if you use free weights.
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    I have also done this but mine was a horrible mess afterwards. I would also recommend resting until the tendons tighten back up. Otherwise you might have perminent issues.
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    No fun! Watch for any "catching", popping, warm/hot spots, or instability of the knee. Give it 2-3 weeks and gradually build back up to your normal routine. If you have any of the issues mentioned have it looked at, some of the tissues under the patella could be torn and need repair. Mine took months to heal after I refused surgery (couldn't afford to be off work).

Good Luck!
  • robinsnest0326
    Options
    i would take it easy for a while, and then head back into exercise, and remember pain not only lets you know that you are alive as a drill instructor used to tell us, but in some cases it lets you know something is wrong, so remember that when you exercise. and ice and use ibuprofen, and tylenol.