water retention

Options
so when i weighed myself for weigh in on Wednesday i was at 235, today i weighted myself and im back too 240+. I know there is no way in heck i gained 5+ pounds in 3-4 days because i never ate that much and i know that for a fact. how in the heck do i get rid of all this extra water? and what are your views on taking diuretics? i have taken two pills today and im drinking a tea as well. if i'm doing this does that mean i have too drink way more water then 8 cups? also the past couple days i havent been drinking nearly enough water. could this be why this happened and why im retaining so much? help!

Replies

• Tyvern
    Tyvern Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Same exact thing happen to me, gained 5 pounds back in 4 days...would be nice to get a explanation.
  • melissamarah
    melissamarah Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I looked a bit at your diary. Are you logging 100% every day? It looked like you were drastically under your calories most days, and over on your sodium. Whenever I go over on sodium, I retain a ton of water.

Drink plenty of water, and if it's just water retention, this will help.
  • firelight4321
    firelight4321 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Going over on sodium will retain extra water. Try to keep a lower sodium diet, and weigh your food, don't guesstimate.
  • K3rB3ar89
    K3rB3ar89 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    the last couple days i didnt really track just because i didnt really know how too,. i did go out and eat with a couple friends ect... but everyday up until the past few days i have. I'm not worried about the tracking thing at all since i have lost 20 pounds in the last 2 months so i know i'm doing something right. tha'ts not really my question because i'm 100% sure its not weight gain. i just wanna know how i can get rid of all the water i retained. i'm well aware its my sodium as i know i'm retaining water hence the topic headline
  • K3rB3ar89
    Options
    lol i know this whole sodium retaining water thing. I understand the calorie thing. i know that i have deff ate to much sodium. i just wanna know how i can get rid of all the water i have retained and get back on track. i didnt gain weight. because there is no way i gained 5-6 pounds since Wednesday its not possible. and im ok not weighing my food as im ok measuring everything with my cups and i know im always under my goal... i dont lose 2.5 a week roughly not knowing what im doing. lol.
  • deadyankee
    Options
    If you don't drink sufficient water then your body will retain the limited amount that it has.
  • K3rB3ar89
    Options
    so that's probably what happened then. so basically just drink alot of water and it will even itself out? what about taking water pills? lots of water and water pills do you think this will help?
  • deadyankee
    Options
    For what purpose? It's not fat and it will regulate itself if you drink a sufficient volume of water to remain properly hydrated. Are you really that bothered about what number is on the scale when you know full well that it's not being increased by anything other than water?
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    The last week or so, your logging does not seem complete. If you say this is because you have been eating out, it is very possible you were eating way more calories than you thought you were this last week.
  • knightlygator
    Options
    As counter-intuitive as it sounds ... DRINK.. lots and lots of water.. and when you think you've drank enough.. drink some more.
  • K3rB3ar89
    Options
    The last week or so, your logging does not seem complete. If you say this is because you have been eating out, it is very possible you were eating way more calories than you thought you were this last week.

i disagree for the simple fact that i eat very well for breakfast and sometimes i skip lunch because i know that im going to be eating out... i know thats not good but i also know that. i know that i can eat 2000 calories a day too maintain i also know that i clean for a living so im constantly moving and i have a two year old so im constantly running around. i have only eaten out once or maybe twice and i dont eat alot like i used too. there is no way with my life style and how many calories i burn on a regular basis that i had eaten 3500x5 calories.
  • K3rB3ar89
    Options
    For what purpose? It's not fat and it will regulate itself if you drink a sufficient volume of water to remain properly hydrated. Are you really that bothered about what number is on the scale when you know full well that it's not being increased by anything other than water?

im not 100% borthered no but when i should be at about 233 or something right now and my scale is still 240+ it really does kinda suck too see that your no longer in the 30's after a few days and sky rocket back into the 40s! lol
  • K3rB3ar89
    Options
    As counter-intuitive as it sounds ... DRINK.. lots and lots of water.. and when you think you've drank enough.. drink some more.

lol well i woke up at like 8 30 this morning and its 11... i can tell you right now im already at 7 cups of water took 2 diuretics and im sipping on diuretic tea. im constantly in the bathroom lol... but im gonna continue too drink lots of water and hopefully sometime within the next couple days i even out! thx!!!
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    When you are taking diuretics to lose weight, sorry to say it, but you are not on the right path. If you are worried you are getting out of track, start logging consistently and stop experimenting with your health. Insane amounts of water, pills and vinegar, they are not the way to get in shape. If it is just the number on the scale for one day that is freaking you out, forget it and move on with your life.
  • enchantedgardener
    enchantedgardener Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Your body will self-regulate and take care of the excess water retention within couple days. Just eat well, drink a reasonable amount of water, and avoid high sodium foods. Diuretics are NOT necessary. Your body has all the tools it needs to take care of this on its own.

I always gain approx 5 lbs the week before my period. I know it's water retention/bloating. Even though I hate seeing the number on the scale during that time, I know it will go back down in a few days.

Just be patient. It may take a few days, but your body will totally take care of this.
  • K3rB3ar89
    Options
    When you are taking diuretics to lose weight, sorry to say it, but you are not on the right path. If you are worried you are getting out of track, start logging consistently and stop experimenting with your health. Insane amounts of water, pills and vinegar, they are not the way to get in shape. If it is just the number on the scale for one day that is freaking you out, forget it and move on with your life.

im not experimenting with anything actually all the weight i lost i did it just like everyone else. as far as diuretics go i only took them today so i could possibly pee out all the extra water that i retained over the past few days and its actually working. i have logged constantly up until the past couple days so i really need people too stop telling me im not doin it the right way or ect ect because thats really not the case lol... and as far as the vinegar goes i just heard its good for you anyways:) sorry everyone that i missed a few days logging my food if you look farther back it clearly will tell you that i have logged everything and the reasons why i was able to lose weight in the first place.
  • K3rB3ar89
    Options
    i have diuretics, weight loss pills, laxatives around my house probably like alot of people here because i once thought i could take an easy way out. until i realised that it wasnt all that i needed it was eating healthy and keeping active. just because i have these things doesnt mean i actually use them. and if i choose to use them for the purpose in which there intended like this one and not with the hopes i got the "magic pill" im sure ill be ok... plus diuretics will make you lose water weight but wont make you lose fat weight same with laxatives and anything that you lose you get back... thats not why i took them it was too regulate myself:) if i did this for the intention of losing fat weight i would also not know that once i took them i would gain the water back. accept i also know that this isnt natural water its extra water that im sure i ate with too much sodium:) regardless of what people may think i know what im doing unless i have a question such as this one. and i dont need people being negative about it and assuming that im being unhealthy...
  • criztawl
    criztawl Posts: 34
    Options
    You're cheating yourself by not tracking your food, and if you are tracking all the food you're eating then you are way under eating which will make your body go into starvation mode. I took at a look at your journal for the last month and you are always way under your calories.

Instead of taking pills to get rid of water retention why don't you just drink water? Add a lemon to your water and that will help, lemon is a natural diuretic.
  • deadyankee
    Options
    i have diuretics, weight loss pills, laxatives around my house probably like alot of people here because i once thought i could take an easy way out. until i realised that it wasnt all that i needed it was eating healthy and keeping active. just because i have these things doesnt mean i actually use them.

Ah, I see.
    i can tell you right now im already at 7 cups of water took 2 diuretics and im sipping on diuretic tea.

Hmm
  • K3rB3ar89
    Options
    yup i slipped up a few days. shoot me everyone does it doesnt mean i wasnt paying attention to what i was eating either. wow you people are judge mental... so basically im not allowed too have these things around? just because im drinking a tea and took a pill one day doesnt mean i have been doin that all along... plus thats stupid anyways you just gain water weight back